Software Storage Technologies
Virtual RAID, RSTe, and Memory Drive Technology
Announcements
Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

Looking for RAID, VROC? You found the forum to ask questions!
319 Discussions

VROC - Monitoring with IntelVROCCli.exe

Patric885
Beginner

VROC - Monitoring with IntelVROCCli.exe

Hey there,

I got my first VROC-Setup and currently thinking about how to monitor it's state.
IntelVROCCli.exe -I gives me all the information I need, but the output is not as machine-readable as I wish it was.

--help says:

--xml
XML output of the current system state.

--xmlfile <foo.xml>
File Name for XML file.

But I have no clue if it even (and if, how it would work) works with -I?

IntelVROCCli.exe -I --xml --xmlfile test.xml
INVALID_REQUEST: Unrecognized command, request was formatted incorrectly.
IntelVROCCli.exe --xml
INVALID_REQUEST: Unrecognized command, request was formatted incorrectly.

This option is unavailable in the current release.
IntelVROCCli.exe -I --xml-file test.xml
gives no error, but also no XML-Output

I'm kind of lost, any ideas?
I also can't find any documentation about it

An JSON-Output like storcli.exe from LSI/Avago/Broadcom exports would be great, but it seems this isn't a feature of IntelVROCCli.exe

Used Versions:

Intel(R) VROCCLI
Middleware Version: 7.8.0.1028
Controller Intel(R) C600+/C220+ series chipset SATA RAID Controller Driver Version: 7.7.0.1260
Controller Intel(R) VROC (Intel-SSD-only) Driver Version: 7.7.0.1260
Controller Intel(R) C600+/C220+ series chipset SATA RAID Controller OROM Version: 7.7.6.1004
Controller Intel(R) VROC (Intel-SSD-only) OROM Version: 7.7.6.1004

Thanks in Advance!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, Patric885.

Thank you very much for patiently waiting.

The Development Team confirmed there is currently a bug with the -xml options in the IntelVROCCLI tool that will be fixed in the next VROC release, although there is no specific ETA for it at the moment, so it will be necessary for you to review this once a new VROC version is released for the CYP platform.

If you have any questions or concerns, please let me know, and I will follow up on September 4th just in case.

Regards,

Bruce C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, Patric885.

Good day,

Thank you for posting on the Intel Community Support forums.

I received your ticket regarding this particular problem with the VROC CLI, and I will be reviewing this with you.

I encountered the same situation while trying to use that particular option, what I'm thinking is that --xml may have been carried over since the time of Intel RSTe in the documentation, and may have been deprecated along the way, but please try the following.

A possible work around in this case, knowing that the output form --information works for you, would be to direct this output to a specific file, for example:

> intelvroccli.exe -I > info.txt

This should create a file in the same folder as the tool, then you can parse the information as needed.

Please let me know if this works for you, and I will follow up on August 4th in case you need additional time.

Regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
Patric885
Beginner

Hi Bruce,

thanks for reaching out!

I'm aware of the possibility of piping the output to a file, but I was hoping I was doing something wrong with the parameters and there is a possibility to get a XML output - which would be easier to handle as plain text.

But it seems it wasn't meant to be I'm going to create a parser in powershell for my purposes

If there is still development in VROC and its tools - it would be handy to have a machine-readable output - like LSI/Broadcom/Avago (or whatever its called nowadays :D) with it's storcli.exe exporting JSON.

Thanks!

Regards,

Patric

0 Kudos
Patric885
Beginner

Another thing just came to my mind:

Is there a documentation what the output could be if there's any error?

Like what are the possible values for Usage? (Array member, spare, passthrough, ... more?)

or the state of a volume or a disk (normal, rebuilding, whatever...)?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, Patric885.

I will confirm if there is additional documentation we can provide on that.

What is the exact model of the server or platform you are using?

I will follow up on August 4th just in case we do not hear from you.

Regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
Patric885
Beginner

Hey Bruce,

I'm using M50CYP2UR208 with Intel RAID Premium VROC and Intel P5510 and P4510 SSDs

Thanks!

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, Patric885.

Thank you.

I will contact you back as soon as possible.

Regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, Patric885.

Thank you for your time and patience.

We were able to reproduce this issue and we are currently checking with our development team.

I will get back to you in case there are any updates we can share on the status of this command, its syntax, or any other considerations.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, Patric885.

Thank you very much for patiently waiting.

The Development Team confirmed there is currently a bug with the -xml options in the IntelVROCCLI tool that will be fixed in the next VROC release, although there is no specific ETA for it at the moment, so it will be necessary for you to review this once a new VROC version is released for the CYP platform.

If you have any questions or concerns, please let me know, and I will follow up on September 4th just in case.

Regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
Patric885
Beginner

Hey Bruce,

thanks for the information, nice to hear there will be a new version with a fix.

Do you have any links for me with additional infos on the possible outputs of the CLI and/or documentation on the possible VROC-entries in the Windows Eventlogs?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, Patric885.

There is no additional documentation for the VROC CLI beyond the guide that is already publicly available.

I certainly submitted the feedback about this too, to at least include example outputs of the commands in the existing guide, but there is no guarantee this will be implemented in a future update or release.

If you have other questions or concerns, please let me know, and I will follow up on September 5th in case you need additional time.

Regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, Patric885.

Good day,

I wanted to follow up on this thread in case you have further questions, comments or concerns.

If there is no additional assistance we can provide, the thread will be closed on September 8th.

Regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, Patric885.

Good day,

This message is to inform you about the closure of this support thread.

I previously shared that we confirmed there is currently a bug with the -xml options in the IntelVROCCLI tool that will be fixed in the next VROC release, although there is no specific ETA for it at the moment, so it will be necessary to review this once a new VROC version is released for the CYP platform, also that feedback was submitted regarding the documentation, but it is not certain if improvements will be included in future releases.

Since other questions or concerns did not take place, the thread will be closed right now, and it will no longer be monitored by Intel support, but if you require any type of assistance from Intel in the future, just open a new thread, or contact us using any of the available support methods:

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-intel.html

Best regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos