Software Storage Technologies
Virtual RAID, RSTe, and Memory Drive Technology
Announcements
Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

Looking for RAID, VROC? You found the forum to ask questions!
319 Discussions

VROC RAID 1 on SATA disks & datastore for VMWare ESXi 8.0 on Dell Precision 5820

JensC
Beginner

Hi

I made a setup of VMWare ESXi 8.0 latest edition on a Dell Precision 5820 succesfully.

the OS is up and runnning and the NVMe has supported creating a datastore of some GB's.

but I have also 4 SATA SSD's in PC which I want to use as RAID 1 Datastores. 

problem VROC created RAID 1's is not recognized so ESXi 8.0 sees only 4 disks.

does there exist a workaround or does exist a low cost RAID controller that the 4 disks can be directly attached to with their SATA-connectors? 

0 Kudos
1 Solution
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, JensC.

Thank you for contacting the Intel Community Support forum.

I received your ticket regarding Intel VROC and I will be reviewing this with you.

With this being an OEM platform and not an Intel one, the best option is to address any type of configuration questions directly to the system manufacturer, in this case Dell, as OEMs do a lot of work to customize and implement Intel VROC in their our platforms, and they can also confirm compatibility with the operating system or configuration that you intend to use in that particular system.

That being said, I can also mention that ESXi provides support for Intel VROC on NVMe drives only, so if you need to create a RAID array with the remaining disks it will be necessary to contact the OEM to confirm what options you have available on that platform.

If there is anything else, please let me know, but if this is not the case I will close the thread on March 28th.

Regards,

Bruce C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, JensC.

Thank you for contacting the Intel Community Support forum.

I received your ticket regarding Intel VROC and I will be reviewing this with you.

With this being an OEM platform and not an Intel one, the best option is to address any type of configuration questions directly to the system manufacturer, in this case Dell, as OEMs do a lot of work to customize and implement Intel VROC in their our platforms, and they can also confirm compatibility with the operating system or configuration that you intend to use in that particular system.

That being said, I can also mention that ESXi provides support for Intel VROC on NVMe drives only, so if you need to create a RAID array with the remaining disks it will be necessary to contact the OEM to confirm what options you have available on that platform.

If there is anything else, please let me know, but if this is not the case I will close the thread on March 28th.

Regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, JensC.

Thank you for making time to mark the thread as resolved, we are always glad to be of assistance.

The thread will be closed right now, and it will no longer be monitored by Intel support, but if you require any type of assistance from Intel in the future, just open a new thread, or contact us using any of the available support methods:

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-intel.html

Best regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos