Software Tuning, Performance Optimization & Platform Monitoring
Discussion regarding monitoring and software tuning methodologies, Performance Monitoring Unit (PMU) of Intel microprocessors, and platform updating.

Attention: Windows Update problems on Windows XP 32-bit OS

SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
I'd like to inform members of theIntel Software Network community about significant hardware problems with
one of my computer after installing 5 critical Windows updates for Windows XP 32-bit OS:

KB2655992
KB2691442
KB2698365
KB2718523
KB2719985

Please take a look at a short discussion at:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprosecurity/thread/6c24db3a-1348-47ac-aa19-9aca7428701e

It took me almost 18 hours to recover absolutely "dead" computer since it was"freezing" inthreeSafe modes:

Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking and Safe Mode Command prompt.

An another VGA mode with a 640x480displayresolution and a4-bit pixel depth worked (!)and allowed to uninstall these Windows updates.

Best regards,
Sergey
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Bernard
Valued Contributor I
Probably a hotpatching of critical components has gone wrong.After following a link posted by you it could be a driver-related issue.For driver loading is responsible I/O manager which calls DriverEntry routine exported by the driver.I do not know the function which is responsible for the driver loading but in the case of AV such a function(s) could be intercepted and monitored.
It is Win XP so you can manually initialize BSOD from the serial keyboard.Such aoperation could very helpful in order to find the culprit.
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
...It took me almost 18 hours to recover absolutely "dead" computer since it was"freezing" inthreeSafe modes:

Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking and Safe Mode Command prompt.

An another VGA mode with a 640x480displayresolution and a4-bit pixel depth worked (!)and allowed to uninstall these Windows updates...

Uninstall order was as follows:

KB2718523(**)
KB2655992
KB2691442 (*)
KB2698365
KB2719985(*)

(*) - doesn't have any dependencies
(**) - update for 'win32k.sys'
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
Hi Iliya,

Quoting iliyapolak
Probably a hotpatching of critical components has gone wrong...

[SergeyK] That is absolutely correct! :(

...It is Win XP so you can manually initialize BSOD from the serial keyboard.Such aoperation could very helpful in order to find the culprit...

[SergeyK] I'd like to change an expression '...computer was absolutely "dead"...'to a '...clinically "dead"...'
because I was able to recover it.

The problem was related to a video driver for a NVIDIA card however in my case it
wasn't a'BSOD' ( Blue Screen of Death ). It was a 'Black Screen of Death' with
a message 'Out of Range' ( at some pointduring a startup of OS).

I would called it as 'BSODOR' instead.

Thank you for your comments!

Best regards,
Sergey

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

Hello Sergey!

I'd like to change an expression '...computer was absolutely "dead"...'to a '...clinically "dead"...'

The problem was related to a video driver for a NVIDIA card however in my case it

Manually initiated crash is used in the case of system-wide hangs.Such a full memory dump can be a very helpfull for finding a malfunctioning piece of software.

In the early stage of Windows boot process all the video rendering is done by a very simple driver calledBootvid. IIRC the switch to Nvidia display driver is performed when you see the the Winlogon login screen.

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
Quoting iliyapolak

Hello Sergey!

I'd like to change an expression '...computer was absolutely "dead"...'to a '...clinically "dead"...'

Manually initiated crash is used in the case of system-wide hangs...

How would I initiate this when a screen is black with a message "Out of Range"? It was happening 2-3 seconds
after a power button was pressed.

After many hours of unsuccessfull attempts I simply installed an older ATI video card ( PCI ), turned on the computer, pressed F8,
selected "VGA mode" ( 640x480 resolution )and it worked.
0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I
Manually initiated crash can be successful only when the keyboard drivdr is loaded and the specific entry in the registry is set.So in your case Windows was only at early stage of booting or the control was still at the hands of the BIOS.Judging by your description it could be some hardware error.Maybe error caused by the BIOS trying to allocate the resources needed by the video card.
0 Kudos