Software Tuning, Performance Optimization & Platform Monitoring
Discussion around monitoring and software tuning methodologies, Performance Monitoring Unit (PMU) of Intel microprocessors, and platform monitoring
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!

BUS_TRANS_MEM event on Dunnington

jofepre
Beginner

Hello,

I'm trying to measure the memory-bandwidth consumed by processes on a dual socket Intel Dunnington with E7450 processors.

To do so I use libpfm to meaure the performance counters. I meaure eventes releated to cycles, instructions or cache misses without problems. However, I have not been able to measure the BUS_TRANS_BURST or BUS_TRANS_MEM events. I tried with the kernel 2.6.29 using libpfm-3.9 and pfmon and with the latests kernel and libpfm4 version but in both cases the memory transaction measures return zero (the other events work fine and I have even measured BUS_TRANS_MEM event using a Inel X3320).

Can anyone imagine whats wrong?

I wonder if the problem may be related to using a dual socket system or if it could be specific of Dunnington processors.

Thanks a lot.

Josué

0 Kudos
0 Replies