Software Tuning, Performance Optimization & Platform Monitoring
Discussion regarding monitoring and software tuning methodologies, Performance Monitoring Unit (PMU) of Intel microprocessors, and platform updating.
1730 Discussions

Comparison of STREAM benchmark over different Intel Xeon Servers

techsun
Beginner

I have conducted some experiments with STREAM benchmarks on the following servers and observed unexpected trends:

Characteristics of Machine A:

It is a dual socket machine.

Intel(R) Xeon(R) Gold 6126 CPU @ 2.60GHz (Codename: Skylake)

Cores per socket = 12; L3 cache = 19.25 MB; TDP=125W; Powercap range: [65W to 125W]

Total RAM at machine A = 192GB (96 GB per socket)

Characteristics of Machine B: 

It is a quad socket machine.

Intel(R) Xeon(R) Gold 5318H CPU @ 2.50GHz (Codename: Cooperlake)

Cores per socket = 18; L3 cache =24.75 MB; TDP=150W; Powercap range: [82W to 150W]

Total RAM at machine B = 256GB (64 GB per socket).

Characteristics of Machine C: 

It is a dual socket machine.

Intel(R) Xeon(R) Gold 5418Y CPU @ 2.0GHz (Codename: Sapphire)

Cores per socket = 24; L3 cache = 45 MB; TDP=185W; Powercap range: [115W to 185W]

Total RAM at machine C = 192GB (96 GB per socket)

I ran the STREAM benchmark, where the total memory usage is 2.2 GB. I observed that the execution time on machine A decreases when we increase the power cap. However, the execution time remains constant on machines B and C when we increase the power cap from MIN to MAX.

I ran another version of STREAM, where the total memory usage is quite low (22 MB). The execution time decreases on machines A, B, and C when we increase the power cap. This suggests that we can observe certain trends when DRAM access is negligible or when pages fit into the cache.

I am unable to understand why machines B and C produce the lowest performance for the STREAM benchmark, even though B and C are of a newer generation compared to machine A.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
techsun
Beginner

Hi @McCalpinJohn,

It would be a great help if you could share your thoughts on this. 

Thanks!

0 Kudos