Software Tuning, Performance Optimization & Platform Monitoring
Discussion regarding monitoring and software tuning methodologies, Performance Monitoring Unit (PMU) of Intel microprocessors, and platform updating.

Detecting CPU Temperature

Kevin
Beginner

Hi everyone,

I am trying to detect the Intel CPU temperature inside the code, but I can't find any solution to do that in the forum/Google. Does anyone know there is any way to detect the Real-time temperature of CPU inside the code(Like library or other tools to do that)?

Thanks,

Jiawen

0 Kudos
6 Replies
PAgra
Beginner

Hi Jiawen

You may be interested in the 'turbostat' tool: http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/oneiric/man8/turbostat.8.html

Here some output from a IBM x3250-M5 (in idle state):
[root@x3250-m5 bin]# /usr/local/bin/turbostat -i 5
Avg_MHz   %Busy Bzy_MHz TSC_MHz     SMI  CPU%c1  CPU%c3  CPU%c6  CPU%c7 CoreTmp  PkgTmp Pkg%pc2 Pkg%pc3 Pkg%pc6 Pkg%pc7 PkgWatt CorWatt
       1    0.02    2992    2993       0    0.02   99.96    0.00    0.00      30      32    4.18   95.77    0.00    0.00    4.73    0.16

(in bold, Temp and wattage).

Hope it helps.

Kind regards,

Patrick

0 Kudos
Thomas_W_Intel
Employee

Intel Performance Counter Monitor provides a C++ API to measure hardware counters, including energy consumption. It doesn't report the absolute temperature but the thermal headroom, i.e. the difference to the maximum temperature that the processor allows.

Kind regards

Thomas

0 Kudos
Kevin
Beginner

Hi Patrick,

I am really interested in this tool even though I can't use it inside a program like APIs/library. But I couldn't find the way to install it. When I download the files from Github (https://github.com/torvalds/linux/tree/master/tools/power/x86/turbostat) and try to make, the following errors show up. Do you have any ideas how to get it successfully

[liu@fornax Temp]$ sudo make

gcc -Wall -DMSRHEADER=/usr/include/asm/msr-index.h turbostat.c -o /home/liu/Temp/turbostat

turbostat.c: In function ‘get_counters’:

turbostat.c:1044: error: ‘MSR_KNL_CORE_C6_RESIDENCY’ undeclared (first use in this function)

turbostat.c:1044: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once

turbostat.c:1044: error: for each function it appears in.)

turbostat.c:1064: error: ‘MSR_PKG_WEIGHTED_CORE_C0_RES’ undeclared (first use in this function)

turbostat.c:1066: error: ‘MSR_PKG_ANY_CORE_C0_RES’ undeclared (first use in this function)

turbostat.c:1068: error: ‘MSR_PKG_ANY_GFXE_C0_RES’ undeclared (first use in this function)

turbostat.c:1070: error: ‘MSR_PKG_BOTH_CORE_GFXE_C0_RES’ undeclared (first use in this function)

turbostat.c: In function ‘dump_hsw_turbo_ratio_limits’:

turbostat.c:1202: error: ‘MSR_TURBO_RATIO_LIMIT2’ undeclared (first use in this function)

turbostat.c: In function ‘dump_ivt_turbo_ratio_limits’:

turbostat.c:1224: error: ‘MSR_TURBO_RATIO_LIMIT1’ undeclared (first use in this function)

turbostat.c: In function ‘dump_nhm_turbo_ratio_limits’:

turbostat.c:1276: error: ‘MSR_TURBO_RATIO_LIMIT’ undeclared (first use in this function)

turbostat.c: In function ‘dump_config_tdp’:

turbostat.c:1411: error: ‘MSR_CONFIG_TDP_NOMINAL’ undeclared (first use in this function)

turbostat.c:1415: error: ‘MSR_CONFIG_TDP_LEVEL_1’ undeclared (first use in this function)

turbostat.c:1425: error: ‘MSR_CONFIG_TDP_LEVEL_2’ undeclared (first use in this function)

turbostat.c:1435: error: ‘MSR_CONFIG_TDP_CONTROL’ undeclared (first use in this function)

turbostat.c:1442: error: ‘MSR_TURBO_ACTIVATION_RATIO’ undeclared (first use in this function)

turbostat.c: In function ‘print_perf_limit’:

turbostat.c:2066: error: ‘MSR_CORE_PERF_LIMIT_REASONS’ undeclared (first use in this function)

turbostat.c:2101: error: ‘MSR_GFX_PERF_LIMIT_REASONS’ undeclared (first use in this function)

turbostat.c:2123: error: ‘MSR_RING_PERF_LIMIT_REASONS’ undeclared (first use in this function)

make: *** [turbostat] Error 1

Regards,

Jiawen

Patrick A. wrote:

Hi Jiawen

You may be interested in the 'turbostat' tool: http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/oneiric/man8/turbostat.8.html

Here some output from a IBM x3250-M5 (in idle state):
[root@x3250-m5 bin]# /usr/local/bin/turbostat -i 5
Avg_MHz   %Busy Bzy_MHz TSC_MHz     SMI  CPU%c1  CPU%c3  CPU%c6  CPU%c7 CoreTmp  PkgTmp Pkg%pc2 Pkg%pc3 Pkg%pc6 Pkg%pc7 PkgWatt CorWatt
       1    0.02    2992    2993       0    0.02   99.96    0.00    0.00      30      32    4.18   95.77    0.00    0.00    4.73    0.16

(in bold, Temp and wattage).

Hope it helps.

Kind regards,

Patrick

0 Kudos
Kevin
Beginner

Hi Thomas,

It's a really good tool to get the performance collection. But it couldn't get the package CPU of real-time temperature which I want to collect.

Thanks,

Jiawen

Thomas Willhalm (Intel) wrote:

Intel Performance Counter Monitor provides a C++ API to measure hardware counters, including energy consumption. It doesn't report the absolute temperature but the thermal headroom, i.e. the difference to the maximum temperature that the processor allows.

Kind regards

Thomas

0 Kudos
Thomas_W_Intel
Employee

Jiawen,

What kind of processor are you using? The temperature sensors are not available on all platforms.

What does the included pcm tool report when you run it? Is the last column with the temperature available?

This is what I see on my (idle) laptop:
PCM laptop.png

0 Kudos
PAgra
Beginner

Hi Jiawen,

In the .c file,I replaced the #include MSRHEADER with #include "msr-index.h" (attached, tar'ed).

Hope it helps.
Kind regards,
Patrick Agrain

0 Kudos