Software Tuning, Performance Optimization & Platform Monitoring
Discussion regarding monitoring and software tuning methodologies, Performance Monitoring Unit (PMU) of Intel microprocessors, and platform updating.

Haswell core power sensor, not exist !

Aljabry__Naif
Beginner

Hi

I am performing some experiments to measure the power consumption for each core of diffrent intel CPUs. I run  diffrent exe file on diffrent cores and during the run i collect each core power sensors readings. 

I start with Intel Xeon E5-2640 cpu and I access the sensors for each core using open hardware monitor library. But when i change the cpu to Intel Xeon E5-2680 i was unable to read each core power , its only give the CPU package consumption (All the cores).

My question, does intel remove the core sensors from the Xeon E5-2680 chip?

If yes, what is the alternative solution for this issue?

Regards,

Naif

0 Kudos
2 Replies
McCalpinJohn
Honored Contributor III

The RAPL "PP0" domain that included the power consumed by all the cores on Sandy Bridge (and presumably Ivy Bridge) Xeon E5 processors is no longer supported on Haswell (Xeon E5 v3).    Note that the PP0 domain never provided measurement of energy use on a per-core basis -- it only provided the combined energy use for all of the cores.   

So Xeon E5 v3 Haswell only supports the "Package" and "DRAM" domains, and I am not aware of any documented features that would provide finer detail.

0 Kudos
Aljabry__Naif
Beginner

Thanks Prof. McCalpin for your response. 

What about the new broadwell-e proccessor Intel Core i7-6950X does it support the per-core power.

Regards,

Naif

0 Kudos