Software Tuning, Performance Optimization & Platform Monitoring
Discussion regarding monitoring and software tuning methodologies, Performance Monitoring Unit (PMU) of Intel microprocessors, and platform updating.

Intel performance counters and Windows 2012

Chris_A_
Beginner

Can someone please confirm that Intel performance counter software will only work with Windows & ( and Windows server 2008 / R2 ). I'm after something to monitor CPU stalls due data not being found in the on CPU cache for Widows 2012 and Sandybridge core based processors, if my thinking is correct are they any other tools I can use instead of the Intel performance counter ?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Thomas_W_Intel
Employee

Yes, Windows 2012 and the second generation Core architecture (Sandy Bridge) are supported by Intel PCM.

However, the focus of Intel PCM is to monitor the platform. For root-causing software issues, I highly recommend Intel VTune Amplifier XE. In contrast to PCM, Vtune will also tell you where in your code the issues are happening. A 30-day trial license can easily requested on the web page.

0 Kudos
Chris_A_
Beginner

Hi Thomas,

Many thanks for such a quick response, the software I'm monitoring is not something I have access to the source code for, its SQL Server ( 2014 ) specifically, I can execute queries and specify the number of threads the query will use, when I get beyond a certain number elapsed time plateaus off. My belief is that main memory cannot keep up with the pre-fetches my CPU cores are issuing against it, hence my interest in CPU stalls. The execution engine in 2014 is designed to store certain types of data contiguously so as to be pre-fetch friendly.

I've tried building the driver via nmake, but I keep getting makefile.defs not found, is there something I need to do with the DDK ( device driver kit - I presume ) in order to resolve this issue.

Secondly, in order for VTune Amplifier XE to give me any meaningful information, I guess I would need access to the public symbol files for SQL Server ?

Kind Regards,

Chris

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

>>>I've tried building the driver via nmake, but I keep getting makefile.defs not found, is there something I need to do with the DDK ( device driver kit - I presume ) in order to resolve this issue>>>

Do you want to develop your own driver for accessing CPU counters?

>>>Secondly, in order for VTune Amplifier XE to give me any meaningful information, I guess I would need access to the public symbol files for SQL Server ?>>>

Probably yes. Please read the link below.

http://www.sqlpassion.at/archive/2014/05/05/sql-server-debugging-with-windbg-an-introduction/

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

@Chris

Any updates on your issue?

0 Kudos