Software Tuning, Performance Optimization & Platform Monitoring
Discussion regarding monitoring and software tuning methodologies, Performance Monitoring Unit (PMU) of Intel microprocessors, and platform updating.

Is there any PCM version that supports Haswell and Haswell EP?

drMikeT
New Contributor I

Is there any PCM version that supports Haswell and Haswell EP?

Is there any other tool (besides VTAmplifier) that can collect samples from the h/w perf counter units?

thanks ..

Michael

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Thomas_W_Intel
Employee

Intel PCM 2.6 already supports the desktop processors based on Haswell architecture. Intel PCm 2.7 will add support for Intel Xeon E5 v3 processors. We plan to release is shortly after the launch of the processor.

Kind regards

Thomas

0 Kudos
drMikeT
New Contributor I

Thanks Thomas, I am looking forward using the new PCM,

regards

Michael

0 Kudos
drMikeT
New Contributor I

BTW, would there be any special BIOS tricks to use so that all h/w registers for uncore / QPI would be accessible?

Thanks

Michael

0 Kudos
McCalpinJohn
Honored Contributor III

The only BIOS trick I know of to get access to the QPI counters is to upgrade to a BIOS that supports those counters.   Once you have that, you may need to manually make an additional (one-time) BIOS setting change to enable the QPI counters.  We had to do this for both Dell and HP systems, and if I recall correctly the required option was not particularly clearly labeled in either case.

We still have not figured out how to get Linux to see the uncore PCI configuration space on some of our systems.  The underlying functions are obviously present (otherwise the system would not operate!), but they can only be accessed directly by memory-mapped IO of the PCI configuration space (which I have done, but which is not a particularly safe way to program).  Apparently this is how the Intel tools work, since they work fine on the systems with the "invisible" uncore PCI configuration space, but the Linux "perf" subsystem is unable to access the uncore counters on those systems.

0 Kudos
Alexsei_L_
Beginner

Just downloaded PCM 2.6 library, but it fails with error:

"pcm-numa tool does not support your processor currently"

PCM*m = PCM::getInstance();

m->getCPUModel() prints out code of 42.

There is only one value handled in code as it is in pcm-numa.cpp : PCM::WESTMERE_EX

My OS:  Linux 2.6.32-431.el6.86_64

My processor: ( from /proc/cpuinfo )

GenuineIntel

Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2100 CPU@3.10GHz

Any tips, please?

Thanks in advance

Alexsei

0 Kudos
Roman_D_Intel
Employee

Hi Alexsei,

your desktop system (Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2100 processor) has just a single socket: it is not a NUMA system. Therefore PCM-NUMA does not support it (and there aew no plans to support it because it does not make sense).

Best regards,

Roman

0 Kudos
Alexsei_L_
Beginner

Thank you for your response, Roman.

The desktop may not be NUMA, in a way Intel defines it... But I tried to run on non-desktop. Fails again with the output below. Code now is 26. Still non NUMA?

---

Number of physical cores: 8

Number of logical cores: 16

Threads (logical cores) per physical core: 2

Num sockets: 2

Core PMU (perfmon) version: 3

Number of core PMU generic (programmable) counters: 4

Width of generic (programmable) counters: 48 bits

Number of core PMU fixed counters: 3

Width of fixed counters: 48 bits

Nominal core frequency: 2533333327 Hz

pcm-numa tool does not support your processor currently CPU Model is 26

---

Box Processor:

processor       : 15

vendor_id       : GenuineIntel

cpu family      : 6

model           : 26

model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           E5540  @ 2.53GHz

stepping        : 5

cpu MHz         : 2533.442

cache size      : 8192 KB

physical id     : 0

siblings        : 8

core id         : 3

cpu cores       : 4

apicid          : 7

initial apicid  : 7

fpu             : yes

fpu_exception   : yes

cpuid level     : 11

wp              : yes

flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx rdtscp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good xtopology nonstop_tsc aperfmperf pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm dca sse4_1 sse4_2 popcnt lahf_lm ida dts tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid

bogomips        : 5065.98

clflush size    : 64

cache_alignment : 64

address sizes   : 40 bits physical, 48 bits virtual

Thanks,

Alexsei

0 Kudos
Roman_D_Intel
Employee

Unfortunately Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5540 has limitations in PMU implementation that does not allow a for a simple PCM-NUMA implementation. You can try to use Linux perf or Intel VTune Amplifier memory access analysis.

0 Kudos