Software Tuning, Performance Optimization & Platform Monitoring
Discussion around monitoring and software tuning methodologies, Performance Monitoring Unit (PMU) of Intel microprocessors, and platform monitoring
Announcements
This community is designed for sharing of public information. Please do not share Intel or third-party confidential information here.

Maximum size of the PEBS buffer

Arnabjyoti_K_
Beginner

Hello all,

This is a question pertaining to the size of the PEBS buffer. Currently, the size of the PEBS buffer is being fixed at 64 KB. Is there any maximum limit to which I can go ? I do not see any information about the maximum size of the PEBS buffer in the Intel Documentation (Chapter 18).

0 Kudos
2 Replies
McCalpinJohn
Black Belt

There is a lot of information about the details of the save areas in Section 17.4.9 "BTS and DS Save Area".    I am not sure whether it provides what you need, but it certainly discusses the storage of PEBS records in the DS save area....

Arnabjyoti_K_
Beginner

Thanks for the answer.

I can see that the size of the PEBS buffer is going to be implemented and tuned in software -- as far as the Intel documentation is concerned, they say that the size of the PEBS buffer is not restricted, and that it comes from a non-paged memory pool. That was probably all that I needed to know.

Regards,

Arnab