Software Tuning, Performance Optimization & Platform Monitoring
Discussion regarding monitoring and software tuning methodologies, Performance Monitoring Unit (PMU) of Intel microprocessors, and platform updating.

Measuring DRAM Access Energy

Ralph_N_Intel
Employee

Hi, 

I would like to measure core energy, dram energy and also the energy required to transport data from the DRAM to the core. I was wondering if I could use PCM for this. I've been able to obtain DRAM and Socket energy readings. I have also been able to obtain the memory bandwidth used by my porogram. Does PCM support measuring the energy required to transport data? If not, is it possible to use PCM to measure the board power?

In addition, I get the following error (I'm not sure if it's connected to my previous question):

ERROR: QPI LL counter programming seems not to work. Q_P0_PCI_PMON_BOX_CTL=0xffffffff

Please see BIOS options to enable the export of performance monitoring devices (devies 8 and 9: function 2).

Thanks,

Ralph

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

It was already discussed.Your Bios vendor needs to enable such a functionality(access to device 8 and 9).

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

It was already discussed.Simply your Bios vendor needs to enable access to device 8 and 9.

0 Kudos
Ralph_N_Intel
Employee

Thanks for the response. Does that mean I will need to upgrade my BIOS?

Ralph

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

Probably yes:(

0 Kudos
Patrick_F_Intel1
Employee

Hello Ralph

Note that, even if you upgrade your bios, the upgrade may or may not have the device enabled.

Pat

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

Yep that is  true.

0 Kudos
Ralph_N_Intel
Employee

Does anyone know of any motherboard and BIOS version combination that does support the reading of these counters?

Thanks,

Ralph

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I
Regarding Bios version it could be more difficult to check unless you will be contacting a vendor and asking for this particular feature.Try to contact Tyan or Supermicro or Intel. For the motherboards check this link http://www.tyan.com/product_SKU_spec.aspx?ProductType=MB&pid=790&SKU=600000330
0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

Regarding Bios version it could be more difficult to check unless you will be contacting a vendor and asking for this particular feature.Try to contact Tyan or Supermicro or Intel.

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I
Please check this link ://www.tyan.com/product_motherboards_dp_intel_xeon_e5-2600.aspx
0 Kudos
Ralph_N_Intel
Employee

Thank you for your response. In order to use this feature, I will have to use one of these motherboards (I understand that this is not an exhaustive list). For the BIOS, will I have to call the BIOS vendor and ask them for a version that lets me access these counters?

Ralph

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

This is not exhaustive list,but  bear in mind that list of server motherboard manufacturers contains only few namesl like Tyan,Intel,Supermicro and to less extent Asus and MSI.Definitely the Bios support is most important and you will need to get a response from one of Bios vendors.For example Tyan motherboards uses Bios written by AMI so you can try to ask either Tyan or AMI for particular Bios features.

0 Kudos