Software Tuning, Performance Optimization & Platform Monitoring
Discussion around monitoring and software tuning methodologies, Performance Monitoring Unit (PMU) of Intel microprocessors, and platform monitoring
Announcements
This community is designed for sharing of public information. Please do not share Intel or third-party confidential information here.

Memory Bandwidth - stream and Intel MLC

James_M_3
Beginner

Using the stream code, and Intel's MLC, I observe a large difference in reported memory bandwidth.

stream reports -  Copy: 13041, Scale: 12850, Add: 14436, Triad: 14340 

Intel's MLC reports - ALL Reads: 75823, 3:1 Reads-Writes: 74216, 2:1 Reads-Writes: 73818, 1:1 Reads-Writes: 69407 and Stream-triad like: 70701.

So the MLC Stream-triad like value is 70.7GB/sec, versus stream triad 14.3GB/sec.

I am curious to understand the difference. Is it because of concurrency? MLC spawns several threads. I did not compile stream with OpenMP, so it is executing as a single thread.

Thanks and best regards

Jim

0 Kudos
3 Replies
McCalpinJohn
Black Belt

Yes, the primary difference is concurrency.

The size of the difference will depend on the system under test (both the physical configuration (model, #sockets, #DIMMS/channel) and the BIOS configuration (snooping mode, memory redundancy mode, etc)) and on how STREAM was compiled and run.

James_M_3
Beginner

Makes sense. Thanks much.

Jim

tian__yvan
Beginner

Can you offer the results of mlc and stream/stream_omp under the same system under test?