Software Tuning, Performance Optimization & Platform Monitoring
Discussion regarding monitoring and software tuning methodologies, Performance Monitoring Unit (PMU) of Intel microprocessors, and platform updating.

Monitoring Different Uncore Events

Nash_R_
Beginner

Hi, 

I've been messing around with the PCM utility and am trying to read a few of the different DRAM metrics on a Jaketown system. I thought I could be really clever and just hack the JKT_Uncore_Pci::program method, and just fill in different DRAM event codes and umasks in MC_CH_PCI_PMON_CTL_EVENT and MC_CH_PCI_PMON_CTL_UMASK, respectively, but when I recompile, there's no change in the metrics I get out. (The test I did was just changing the Event and Umask codes so that counter zero and counter one were counting the same events to see if I get the same values out.) I must be doing something improperly or using the JKT_Uncore_Pci method wrong; anyone have any ideas as to what they might be?

Best regards,

Nash Reilly

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Roman_D_Intel
Employee
Hi Nash, which event/umask values did you try? What workload did you execute to generate non-zero event counts? Try also do "make clean; make" to rebuild everything from scratch after your changes. Thanks, Roman
0 Kudos
Nash_R_
Beginner
Roman, Fixed my issue; I was initializing the jkt_uncore_pci class incorrectly (I'm fairly inexperienced at C++). I was able to change event and umask codes properly after that. Thank you for your response and your continued work on this tool! It's proven a great resource for me. Best, NR
0 Kudos
Roman_D_Intel
Employee
I am glad that it worked for you.
0 Kudos