Software Tuning, Performance Optimization & Platform Monitoring
Discussion around monitoring and software tuning methodologies, Performance Monitoring Unit (PMU) of Intel microprocessors, and platform monitoring
Announcements
This community is designed for sharing of public information. Please do not share Intel or third-party confidential information here.

Overwrite Locked Bits in a Memory Controller

sarkar__saptarshi

Hi Everyone,

I am in dire need of overwriting a locked register named DIMM Memory Technology register (link ).

My objective is to disable a rank selectively. 

http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/datasheets/xeon-e5-1600-2600-vol-2-datas...

Page No 427.

The field positions are marked as RW-LB. Indicating that one can bypass them provided lock bypass

bits are enabled. I am very sure that the BIOS does write to those fields because I can observe the

values being changed each time I change my memory configuration by a difeerent DIMM layout.

My problem is that nowehere  have I found a way to do so. Even the manual just mentions it but

does not describe it.

One post having the same question has been unanswered for a long time. If its confidential,

I would welcome if any one would let me know that or otherwise any help will be deeply appreciated

Saptarshi

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Bernard
Black Belt

Such a information could be classified under NDA and provided only for kernel/BIOS developers.

Patrick_F_Intel1
Employee

Hello Saptarshi,

I don't know of any way to override the bits if they are locked. Usually if someone needs to do this sort of thing, they have to get BIOS folks to create a special BIOS that doesn't lock the bits or maybe they add a BIOS boot setup screen which allows you to change the settings at boot time.

Getting a special bios is a very difficult thing to do and requires a lot of justification.
Pat