Software Tuning, Performance Optimization & Platform Monitoring
Discussion regarding monitoring and software tuning methodologies, Performance Monitoring Unit (PMU) of Intel microprocessors, and platform updating.

PCM Processor not supported

Jeremie_Lagraviere

Hi everyone,

I am a beginner in the Intel PCM environment and I am trying to understand what's going on :)

So I have downloaded and compiled the Intel PCM on my laptop. I have started to code some stuff to see how it goes and also I am trying to use the ready-made utility given in PCM 2.8.

For example I am running this on my machine:

sudo ./pcm-power.x --external_program /home/mrjay/Desktop/Compilers/BerkeleyUPC/bin/upcrun cg.A.O3.4

And I get this output:

Intel(r) Performance Counter Monitor V2.8 (2014-12-18 12:52:39 +0100 ID=ba39a89)

Power Monitoring Utility
 Copyright (c) 2011-2014 Intel Corporation
Number of physical cores: 4
Number of logical cores: 8
Number of online logical cores: 8
Threads (logical cores) per physical core: 2
Num sockets: 1
Physical cores per socket: 4
Core PMU (perfmon) version: 3
Number of core PMU generic (programmable) counters: 4
Width of generic (programmable) counters: 48 bits
Number of core PMU fixed counters: 3
Width of fixed counters: 48 bits
Nominal core frequency: 2400000000 Hz
Package thermal spec power: 47 Watt; Package minimum power: 0 Watt; Package maximum power: 0 Watt; 
Unsupported processor model (60).
Cleaning up
 Freeing up all RMIDs

Yay!

So my CPU is not compatible. And at some point I do not get how, what and where.

My computer is equipped with a: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4700MQ CPU @ 2.40GHz

I am running with Linux x64 3.13.0-24-generic #47-Ubuntu SMP

And this CPU is not compatible ? Is it right ? Even if part of the PCM code is running on it...I mean I can create an instance of the singleton and get some info out of it, but that's it ?

Let say that the CPU of my laptop is not compatible, is this one compatible ? : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2670 0 @ 2.60GHz

And right now I have access to a cluster that is equipped with some Intel Phi (I can't get the exact model right now, they are doing maintenance on the cluster) however my question is: Is Intel PCM compatible with Intel Phi ?

Thanks in advance for your help

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Roman_D_Intel
Employee

PCM-Power utility support only server processors such as "Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2670 0 @ 2.60GHz". No Xeon Phi support at this point of time.

Roman

0 Kudos
Roman_D_Intel
Employee

but the basic PCM utility (pcm.x) should run on your laptop.

Roman

0 Kudos
Jeremie_Lagraviere

Thanks a lot for your answers.

You are right: the utility pcm.x works fine on the i7-4700M of my laptop :)

By pure curiosity (and probably because this question will be asked to me soon) what is/are the reason(s) why the pcm.x is working and not the other utilities ?

Also, the Intel Xeon I have access to, is located on a cluster, on which of course I do not have admin permissions. With the few tests I ran on this cluster it seems to be a problem not to have admin rights to use Intel PCM, am I right ?

0 Kudos
Roman_D_Intel
Employee

Hi Jay,

some utilities rely on hardware performance monitoring units and model specific registers that only exist on server processors.

yes, to get the full functionality you need root access. If you manage to get access to msr devices you can get some of PCM functionality working (e.g all core metrics including IPC statistics, cache misses, energy metrics, etc).

Thanks,

Roman

0 Kudos
Jeremie_Lagraviere

Ok thanks !

That's very good to know.

Thanks a lot.

0 Kudos
Roman_D_Intel
Employee

And right now I have access to a cluster that is equipped with some Intel Phi (I can't get the exact model right now, they are doing maintenance on the cluster) however my question is: Is Intel PCM compatible with Intel Phi ?

Andrey Semin added support of Intel® Xeon Phi™ 72XX processors (Knights Landing) into Processor Counter Monitor on github: you can try pcm.x and pcm-memory.x (DDR4 channel and MCDRAM channel bandwidth monitoring).

Best regards,

Roman

0 Kudos