Software Tuning, Performance Optimization & Platform Monitoring
Discussion regarding monitoring and software tuning methodologies, Performance Monitoring Unit (PMU) of Intel microprocessors, and platform updating.

[PCM] QPI traffic estimation - stopped functioning

Andrew_M_
Beginner

I'm using PCM to measure QPI traffic on a NUMA server running Linux, but PCM unexpectedly stopped displaying QPI traffic.

In the past, I have run pcm.x to get human readable data, and it worked.

I needed to access the QPI traffic programmatically, so I tried using PCM's C++ interface. 
My code containing a few PCM member functions worked up until PCM::QPILinkSpeed() was called. Then the code exits without throwing an exception and prints 'Segmentation Fault' to cerr.

Since that moment, pcm.x no longer shows QPI traffic. (Symptoms are similar to this thread: https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/software-tuning-performance-optimization-platform-monitoring/topic/473955 )

The attached file shows the output from running pcm.x

Plain text icon pcmOutput.txt

I see the message mmap failed: errno is 1
This surprised me because I am running pcm.x as root.
My BIOS settings were not changed.

Here are my environment details:

• CPU
    • 2x Xenon E5-2643 V3
  • Motherboard
    • Dell 0599V5 Version A12
  • BIOS
    • Dell Version 2.0.1
  • Distro
    • Fedora 24 (Workstation Edition)

I've tried restarting, cleaning the PCM directory and re-building, but no luck.

Would anyone be able to give me a pointer to explain what may have gone wrong, and a nudge in the right direction towards fixing pcm? 

Thanks for your attention,
-Andrew

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Roman_D_Intel
Employee

Hi Andrew,

It would be helpful to see the call stack of the crash (use gdb to display it). Could you try to follow these steps to repair environment after the crash?

Thanks,

Roman

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Roman_D_Intel
Employee

Hi Andrew,

It would be helpful to see the call stack of the crash (use gdb to display it). Could you try to follow these steps to repair environment after the crash?

Thanks,

Roman

0 Kudos
Andrew_M_
Beginner

Hi Roman,

Turns out I wasn't using the most recent version of pcm :) Updating solved my problem.

Thanks for the advice though.

-Andy

0 Kudos