Software Tuning, Performance Optimization & Platform Monitoring
Discussion around monitoring and software tuning methodologies, Performance Monitoring Unit (PMU) of Intel microprocessors, and platform monitoring
Announcements
This community is designed for sharing of public information. Please do not share Intel or third-party confidential information here.
1623 Discussions

Processor Counter Monitor: missing and non working performance counters

gveld
Novice

I've managed to get the Processor Counter Monitor to work as a windows service.
This adds extra performance counters which can be read from the windows tool perfmon or with external monitoring tools.

Unfortunately a lot of these performance counters are not working correctly. The following performance counters always report 0:
\PCM Core Counters(*)\L2 Cache Misses
\PCM Core Counters(*)\L3 Cache Misses
\PCM QPI Counters(*)\QPI Link Bandwidth
\PCM Socket Counters(*)\Memory Read Bandwidth
\PCM Socket Counters(*)\Memory Write Bandwidth

Another issue I have is that not all information from the PCM.exe tool is available as a performance counter. The following metrics are missing:
L3HIT
L2HIT
L3MPI
L2MPI

And the actual CPU usage calculations are also missing:
PHYSICAL CORE IPC                 : 0.83 => corresponds to 20.77 % utilization for cores in active state
Instructions per nominal CPU cycle: 0.68 => corresponds to 16.97 % core utilization over time interval

Update: I've noticed that the L2 and L3 Cache Misses are working, but only if the PCM.exe tool is running.
Seems like PCM-service isn't properly retrieving most metrics from the CPU by itself..

0 Kudos
0 Replies