Software Tuning, Performance Optimization & Platform Monitoring
Discussion regarding monitoring and software tuning methodologies, Performance Monitoring Unit (PMU) of Intel microprocessors, and platform updating.
1711 Discussions

QPI counters aren't available on Dell r620. Q_P0_PCI_PMON_BOX_CTL=0x0

Alexander_Alexeev

Hello 

I have aproblem that has been disscued here many times before. PCM has no access to PQI counters. 

The difference is is that in all forum posts where problem is discussded  registers return 0xffffffff. And accodingly to documentation it shoud be -1 if application can't inicialize PMU is PMU is unavailable.

So the question is can 0x0 value be an indication that QPI PMU device is disabled in BIOS or I should be looking for another reason?

Regarding Dell R620 BIOS, I couldn't find any options that would be even close to enabling PMU, performance monitoring devices, juste devices 8 and 9. Can somebody give me any leads? What shoudl I look for? 

PCM output:

ERROR: QPI LL counter programming seems not to work. Q_P0_PCI_PMON_BOX_CTL=0x0
Please see BIOS options to enable the export of performance monitoring devices (devices 8 and 9: function 2).
ERROR: QPI LL counter programming seems not to work. Q_P1_PCI_PMON_BOX_CTL=0x0
Please see BIOS options to enable the export of performance monitoring devices (devices 8 and 9: function 2).
ERROR: QPI LL counter programming seems not to work. Q_P0_PCI_PMON_BOX_CTL=0x0
ERROR: QPI LL counter programming seems not to work. Q_P1_PCI_PMON_BOX_CTL=0x0

Thanks,

Alexander

0 Kudos
21 Replies
Zheng_Luo
Beginner

Tim Day wrote:

Just tried out an experimental BIOS supplied by Dell for my T7600 which allows these devices to be unhidden, and now I'm seeing QPI related info from the PCM lib.  Fantastic!  Kudos to Dell's support for taking the trouble to develop this... not sure whether the option will be released generally in a future BIOS update?

Hello Tim,

I may have the same problem as you. We are using Dell T7600 too. Currently our reading of QPI are always zeros. Can you tell me where I can BIOS which can enable you to unhide the QPI option? Thank you very much.

Zheng Luo

0 Kudos