Software Tuning, Performance Optimization & Platform Monitoring
Discussion regarding monitoring and software tuning methodologies, Performance Monitoring Unit (PMU) of Intel microprocessors, and platform updating.

Reading CBo RxR_OCCUPANCY event

Bernard
Valued Contributor I

Hi!

I'm trying to write simple kernel mode driver which will access programatically Uncore performance counters of the Xeon-e5-2600 processor.My code is based on this document :"Xeon-e5-2600 uncore-guide".So far I was able to access with the help of inline assembly instructions wrmsr and rdmsr Cn_MSR_PMON_CTLn registers and try to set variuos bitfields.

One of the planned driver's routine will be responsible for measuring Average depth of Ingress Queue exactly as it is written in the Xeon e5 Uncore guide.By setting the lower bitfields of

Cn_MSR_PMON_CTLn  the RxR_OCCUPANCY event and its IRQ subevent will be counted.Uncore performance guide does not explain exactly which of the 4 belonging to specific CBo Cn_MSR_PMON_CTRn registers will be affected by this setting.

Thanks in advance for any input.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Bernard
Valued Contributor I
Can anybody help me.
0 Kudos
Patrick_F_Intel1
Employee
Hello Illya, Can you explain a little more what you mean by: "Uncore guide.By setting the lower bitfields of Cn_MSR_PMON_CTLn the RxR_OCCUPANCY event and its IRQ subevent will be counted. Uncore performance guide does not explain exactly which of the 4 belonging to specific CBo Cn_MSR_PMON_CTRn registers will be affected by this setting." Pat
0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I
<<>> Hi Pat Sorry for overusing those abbrevations:) I was not able to find which of the PMON counters will receive the result of RxR_OCCUPANCY event. I'm using this guide "Intel Xeon Processor E5-2600 Product Family Uncore Performance Guide" , please look at page nr.42 which describes so called "RxR_OCCUPANCY" event. Thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I
Probably I have found a solution to my problem.RxR_OCCUPANCY event is restricted to register 0.
0 Kudos