Software Tuning, Performance Optimization & Platform Monitoring
Discussion around monitoring and software tuning methodologies, Performance Monitoring Unit (PMU) of Intel microprocessors, and platform monitoring
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!

Setting DEBUGCTL MSR to 1 fails

Alex_L_2
Beginner

Hi.

I have a windows driver that sets the DEBUGCTL MSR (0x1d9) to 1 in order to later get the LBR stack. It worked perfectly on all computers I tested so far.

However it seems not to work on a server I tested that has 2 Intel Xeon E-2620 processors inside. I believe it's based on the Sandy Bride microarchitecture.

I wrote a code in a windows driver that sets the DEBUGCTL to 1, and then reads the value of the MSR. To my surprise, the value remains 0!

For other MSRs it does work, so I believe that the problem is with this specific MSR. 

Did someone ever come across such an error? Is there some flag that I need to turn on in order to change the DEBUGCTL?

Any help would be very appreciated! I've been trying trying to solve this issue for almost a week now. 

0 Kudos
0 Replies