Software Tuning, Performance Optimization & Platform Monitoring
Discussion regarding monitoring and software tuning methodologies, Performance Monitoring Unit (PMU) of Intel microprocessors, and platform updating.

Varying CPU usage despite the same test pattern

Oleg_A_
Beginner

Hello all,

We've got very strange behavior when testing IP packet forwarding performance on Sandy Bridge platform (Supermicro X9DRH with the latest BIOS) on Linux Kernel. This is two socket E5-2690 CPU system. Using different PC we're generating DDoS-like traffic with rate of about 4.5 million packets per second. Traffic is receiving by two Intel 82599 NICs and forwarding using the second port of one of this NICs. All load is evenly distributed among two nodes, so each of 32 CPUs SI usage is virtually equal.

Now the strangest part. Few moments after pktgen start on traffic generator PC, average CPU usage on SB system goes to 30-35%. No packet drops, no rx_missed_errors, no rx_no_dma_resources. Very nice. But CPU usage starts to decreasing gradually. After about 10 seconds we see ~15% average among all CPUs. Still no packet drops, the same RX rate as in the beginning, RX packet count is equal to TX packet count. After some time we see that average usage start to go up. Peaked at initial 30-35% it goes down to 15% again. This pattern is repeated every 80 seconds. Interval is very stable. It is undoubtedly bind to the test start time, because if we start test, then interrupt it after 10 seconds and start it again we see the same 30% CPU peak in a few moments. Then all timings will be the same.

During the high load time we see this in "perf top -e cache-misses":

14017.00 24.9% __netdev_alloc_skb           [kernel.kallsyms]
             5172.00  9.2% _raw_spin_lock               [kernel.kallsyms]
             4722.00  8.4% build_skb                    [kernel.kallsyms]
             3603.00  6.4% fib_table_lookup             [kernel.kallsyms]

During the "15% load time" top is different:

11090.00 20.9% build_skb                [kernel.kallsyms]
             4879.00  9.2% fib_table_lookup         [kernel.kallsyms]
             4756.00  9.0% ipt_do_table             /lib/modules/3.12.15-BUILD-g2e94e30-dirty/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_tables.ko
             3042.00  5.7% nf_iterate               [kernel.kallsyms]

And __netdev_alloc_skb is at the end of list:

911.00  0.5% __netdev_alloc_skb             [kernel.kallsyms]

Some info from "perf stat -a sleep 2":

15% CPU case:
       28640006291 cycles                    #    0.447 GHz                     [83.23%]
       38764605205 instructions              #    1.35  insns per cycle

30% CPU case:
       56225552442 cycles                    #    0.877 GHz                     [83.23%]
       39718182298 instructions              #    0.71  insns per cycle

Cycles go up, but instructions remain the same.

CPUs never go above C1 state, all cores speed from /proc/cpuinfo is constant at 2899.942 MHz. ASPM is disabled.

All non-essential userspace apps was explicitly killed for test time, there was no active cron jobs too. So we should assume no interference with userspace.

Kernel version is 3.12.15 (ixgbe 3.21.2), but we have the same behavior with ancient 2.6.35 (ixgbe 3.10.16). Although on 2.6.35 we sometimes get 160-170 seconds interval and different symbols at the "perf top" output (especially cheap local_bh_enable() which is completely blows my mind).

So now I think that the problem has nothing with software, but with some part or hardware. Does anybody have some thoughts about the reasons of this kind of behavior? Sandy Bridge CPU has many uncore and offcore events, which I can sample, maybe some of them can shed some light on such behavior?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

As I was able to understand your measurement has sin wave like pattern despite the same load being generated?One question arises here does every packet has the same TCP payload content?

0 Kudos
Oleg_A_
Beginner

Each packet is Linux pktgen generated UDP packet with length of 64 byte. All packets send from random source IP address to random destination. This traffic is just go through Sandy Bridge box without any content analysis.

http://www.wireshark.org/docs/dfref/p/pktgen.html

Here is the graph for CPU load. Just don't understand what is the cause of this spikes.

0 Kudos
Oleg_A_
Beginner

Second try.

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

Maybe you are seeing accumulated interrupt processing time(I mean Interrupt Service Routine) which contribute to those spikes and also some part of the CPU time is spend trying to allocate memory buffers by using *__alloc_skb() function.I can also see that this function tries to allocate memory on some NUMA node.By further theorizing those spikes are related to buffer allocations when incoming packets are buffered and sent to the CPU.

0 Kudos
Oleg_A_
Beginner
iliyapolak, thank you for reply! Yes, all CPU time during this test is from kernel softirq processing (bottom half of interrupt handler). What I trying to understand is why I got such spikes in constant traffic flow conditions. Interrupt rate according to vmstat is constant during the test time. Packet jitter, delays and packet rate is also not changing. This spikes is relatively long - about 20 seconds if I count from its beginning to the end and very constant in its timing (you can see this from graph in attachment).
0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

Can you obtain the source of those interrupts?I can further theorize that you are seeing some kind of interrupt coalescing.Moreover the periodicity of those spikes can indicate aferomentioned coalescing.I suppose that NIC will not interrupt CPU per single packet base.NIC will simply buffer probably in internal on chip memory buffers incoming  Ethernet frames do some processing on them(extracting higher level protocols etc...) and when the buffer(s) will be full it will signal the CPU by firing up the interrupt.

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

>>>This spikes is relatively long - about 20 seconds if I count from its beginning to the end and very constant in its timing (you can see this from graph in attachment).>>>

Yes I see it.I think that you are seeing superposition? (I do not know if this is a proper word)  of many short time interrupt signals.

0 Kudos
Oleg_A_
Beginner
iliyapolak, yes, Intel 82599-based NICs support interrupt coalescing. This feature is on in my case using this command: ethtool -C eth0 rx-usecs 488 This means that about 2,000 interrupts will be generated by one interrupt vector (each NIC had 16 vectors). But this value is constant and not changing with time.
0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

Number of packets could be changing over the time hence the count of interrupts also.Beside the NIC interrupts you could have also I/O interrupts.By looking at the screenshot can you provide the exact breakdown of the CPU load?

0 Kudos
Oleg_A_
Beginner
iliyapolak, I can post screenshort tomorrow. But number of packets doesn't changing during the single test. This is the controlled test with fixed pps rate at generator side.
0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

I would suggest you to do profiling with the VTune and post the result.

0 Kudos
Himanshu_T_
Beginner

You told that 82599 will not send interrupt to the CPU for each packet instead it will send when its bucket will be full with the packets. I can see this may degrade the performance of a NIC. please suggest any reference guide for interrupt coalescing.

Thanks,

Himanshu

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

Himanshu T. wrote:

You told that 82599 will not send interrupt to the CPU for each packet instead it will send when its bucket will be full with the packets. I can see this may degrade the performance of a NIC. please suggest any reference guide for interrupt coalescing.

Thanks,

Himanshu

Do you mean debugging guide?

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

@Himanshu,

Are you using Windows or Linux?

0 Kudos