Intel® Optane™ Solid State Drives
Support for Issues Related to Solid State Drives based on Intel® Optane™ technology, Intel® MAS and Firmware Update Tool
435 Discussions

Intel Optane 32GB Compatible with LGA 2011-v3 CPUs?

JColl7
Beginner

With the release of the Intel Optane SSD later this month; are there any plans to make it available for motherboards which support LGA 2011-v3 CPUs?

I had intended to buy an X99 motherboard in May for use with an Intel Core i7 6950X CPU. Since Optane is not compatible with an X99 motherboard, what are my options?

An Intel motherboard with a 200 series chipset supporting up to a quad core CPU is not enough to meet the needs of the applications I intend to run. I am not choosing this CPU simply because it has 10 cores but because the specific applications I use will benefit so much from it. If I can provide any further information, please let me know. Many thanks in advance for your time.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Employee

Hello HZ631,

We understand you have some questions about Intel® Optane™ Technology, first of all, we'd like to know if you are looking for the SSD or the memory controller?

If you want the memory controller, http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/optane-memory.html here is a link with the requirements.

The SSD that user database64128 mentioned (P4800x), will be another option for you to use with your specs, as long as the x99 motherboard you want supports NVMe*.

Please let us know if you require further assistance.

Regards,

Nestor C

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
IIanM
Novice

Go for data center Optane SSD such as P4800X or the rumored high end consumer drive "900p".

JColl7
Beginner

Hi database64128,

Many thanks for your response. The 900p which I wasn't previously aware of appears to be what I'm looking for. I am going to await its release since there are not many details available about it; specifically if its compatible with X99 chipset motherboards. I will be using Windows 10 Pro 64 bit.

The P4800X from what I have read would be ideal but from what I can tell it's only compatible with Xeon CPUs which since I'm only a consumer don't really need/want. If it works with my chosen CPU and motherboard, I'll buy it despite it's high price.

On a side note, the current Intel 750 SSD which is designed around a PCI Express card on the surface looks perfect since it is compatible with the X99 but it's "only" an SSD. I'm looking for the caching provided by the Optane memory to give a speed boost to loading in general rather than a general purpose hard disk.

You have been really helpful, and I very much appreciate it., I'll keep this thread open for now. I hope to add more information later this month when more details of these products become available.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello HZ631,

We understand you have some questions about Intel® Optane™ Technology, first of all, we'd like to know if you are looking for the SSD or the memory controller?

If you want the memory controller, http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/optane-memory.html here is a link with the requirements.

The SSD that user database64128 mentioned (P4800x), will be another option for you to use with your specs, as long as the x99 motherboard you want supports NVMe*.

Please let us know if you require further assistance.

Regards,

Nestor C
0 Kudos
JColl7
Beginner

Hello Nestor C,

Thanks for your response.

I am looking for the memory controller. Unfortunately the system I am intending to buy does not meet the requirements you have kindly linked to. Namely it will not use a 7th generation Core i7 CPU or a 2xx chipset.

I was intending to use the Intel Core i7 6950X CPU and the X99 chipset of an Asus ROG Rampage V Edition 10. This motherboard does have an M.2 Socket and a U.2 socket which supports NVMe. I was hoping to use both. Namely the U.2 socket for the Intel Optane memory controller and the M.2 socket for an SSD (a Corsair Force MP500).

At this time I do not need further assistance since the 900p and P4800x are SSD storage devices and the Optane memory controller is not compatible with my chosen system.

Instead I will wait until the X299 chipset is made available later this year and use it with an Intel Skylake XE 10 core CPU.

I'm really impressed by the level of information provided by your staff and community. You provided me with everything I needed and in a professional manner. Thanks very much for your time. Have a great day

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi HZ631,

Thanks for your comments and in case you need further assistance, we are here to help.

Regards,

Nestor C
0 Kudos