Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

4 new computers all giving Bluetooth OBEX and Device Monitor errors

WWayn1
New Contributor I

Purchase 6 brand new laptops: 4 x Lenovo T450's and 2 x HP ProBook 650's

All with Windows 7 Pro oem. Did the basic initial install from the pre-loaded OS environment and then the usual MS Updates. Somewhere during the rounds of MS Updates, 3 of the 4 Lenovo's and one of the HP's all began displaying the following errors, both randomly and on reboot:

"Bluetooth OBEX Service"

UI[8]=Bluetooth OBEX Service stopped working and was closed

UI[9]=A problem caused the application to stop working correctly. Windows will notify you if a solution is available

"Bluetooth Device Monitor"

UI[2]=C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Bluetooth\devmonsrv.exe

UI[5]=Check online for a solution (recommended)

UI[6]=Check for a solution later (recommended)

UI[7]=Close

UI[8]=Bluetooth Device Monitor stopped working and was closed

UI[9]=A problem caused the application to stop working correctly. Windows will notify you if a solution is available.

UI[10]=&Close

These are all fresh installs. The only other thing installed was MS Office on a few, and McAfee Enterprise Antivirus (Identical version used on several hundred other laptops).

Tried to uninstall the Bluetooth Driver on the Lenovo's but it refuses, rolling-back. Tried to install latest BT INtel driver - also refuses with a bombout and rollback.

What is going on here? Has a recent MS KB Broken INtel BT???

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Employee

Hello,

We are glad to inform that the new version of Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software for Bluetooth® technology for Windows 7*, that fixes the compatibility issue with the Microsoft KB 3161608/3172605 is already available and can be downloaded from https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26191 Here.

- Note that you have to remove these Windows updates and any existing Bluetooth* drivers before installing this new driver.

- This release only applies to the current generation of wireless adapters:

Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3168

Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260

Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265

Intel® Dual Band Wireless-N 7265

Intel® Wireless-N 7265

Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165

Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260

Intel® Dual Band Wireless-N 7260

Intel® Wireless-N 7260

Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160

Additional details, including the instructions to install it can be found in the following link:

A solution for additional adapters will come a few weeks later.

Regards,

Jonathan

View solution in original post

31 Replies
IDarl
Beginner

I've spent the past week tracking my problem to this MS update (KB3161608) since I found my Bluetooth headset wouldn't work on my laptop, once I'd tracked it down I did a search and arrived here. I am also on a Vaio with Bluetooth 3

0 Kudos
SChen121
Beginner

I have this issue too.

After uninstall KB3161608 ,This issue is solved.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
SB16
Beginner

Thanks Fegr. I can confirm that after removing KB3161608, the driver installation works without an error, and my Bluetooth stack works perfectly again.

0 Kudos
BBode
Beginner

I have a Dell Inspiron 17R notebook with an Intel 7260N wirelles bluetooth adapter running windows 7 pro. The symptom was: I could not play music on my new JBL Flip 3 external speaker. The bluetooth device pairing and connecting was successfull. And the list of available services showed "Listen to music" but its link was disabled. The link was not clickable. I tried to re-run Intel Proset/Wirelles installer ver. 17.1.1449.356 but the process was interrupted by a message stating "There is a problem with this windows installer package...." I saw in the application event log some error about

UninstallOBEXService related to command C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Bluetooth\, parancs: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Bluetooth\obexsrv.exe" -unregserver

Inspecting the services list I saw that "Bluetooth Device Monitor" "Bluetooth Media Service" and "Bluetooth Obex service" stopped but they should have run. Additionalyy I could not send files via bluetooth to my laptop.

I accidentally read this thread and tried removing KB3161608 from installed windows update packages.

I can confirm that all of the sudden after removing the "bad" update package and reboting and re-run the proset/wirelless installer, everything works great.

Thank you for this tip.

idata
Employee

KB3161608 contains KB3161647, a fix for a Windows Update 100% CPU issue which is only available in this rollup package. I need this fix but I also need functional Bluetooth! I guess I'm out of luck?

0 Kudos
WChro
Beginner

I had the same problem on my Lenovo Thinkpad Edge E440 with Win7-64SP1 Pro.

I uninstalled KB3161608 which is a rollup with at least 6 fixes, one or more which kill the Bluetooth. Unfortunately, as the previous poster says, the single specific fix for the Windows Update (KB3161647) in that rollup is NOT available separately. To speed up the Windows Update, make sure you have the June patch (KB3161664) installed. My laptop was still fast for WU even after removing KB3161608 and regaining my Bluetooth functionality for my Bose Mini speaker.

Good luck.

0 Kudos
ESche2
Beginner

Same problem, same fix.

lenovo T440s, Wireless-AC 7260 M.2, Win7 Ult. x64

Bluetooth worked fine until a round of updates, then not only stopped working but also would not uninstall, nor would any versions install over it

tried all versions I had on hand: 17.1.1407.04, 17.1.1411.0506, 18.16.1, 19.00.1621 (as suggested by this thread)

... all failed about 80% of the way through the install and would then roll back all changes. Drivers looked to install ok briefly but would then get pulled during the rollback. Checking the logs, the OBEX service was failing during the install, on all versions.

It wasn't until I found this thread and uninstalled KB3161608 that BT started working again, immediately. I can install any version now and they all install and work fine. I just can't have the June 2016 Rollup installed and I'd like to. Among other things, it fixes slow a Windows Update and I'd like to have that functionality but I'd rather not give up bluetooth on my laptop to get it.

When will this be resolved?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello,

This issue has been reported accordingly and our resources are looking into it. We expect it to be resolved in the near future.

Please keep in mind that Windows* updates are owned by Microsoft, any change to their contents will have to come from them. For this reason, we are not able to confirm a specific time for resolution.

At this time, removing KB3161608 is viable workaround. You might also consider the option provided by GattoNero in a related thread:

JB

0 Kudos
UYry
Beginner

Hi All,

HERE IS POSSIBLE SOLUTION:

I spent few days and hours to find out a solution for my Headset problem. Incredible. I tried to purchase 2 different Bluetooth headsets, purchased new Bluetooth Adapter, Installed 10s of different versions of Bluetooth drivers from intel, broadcom, realtek as well as Audio drivers. At the beginning I have uninstalled Windows update KB3161608 (see how I remember id like my name). But nothing helped. SOLUTION for me was uninstalling KB172605 AS WELL. Working now perfectly.

Problem: Bluetooth headphone is paired successfully. But it is not displayed in Audio Playback Devices list. Listen to Music, Forward VOIP calls options in device properties are disabled - so you cannot connect.

Solution: Uninstall Windows Updates KB3161608 and KB3172605

I am using Lenovo T440S with Windows 7 with regular windows updates.

Also make sure that you

- restart you computer,

- maybe install latest Intel Bluetooth Driver/Software,

- Righ click on paired bluetooth device (in Devices and Printers), and select all of possible services (especially headset) in services tab

- select bluetooth device as default device both in Playback devices and Recording devices,

Thanks,

0 Kudos
WChro
Beginner

I was just wondering if there had been an official update or new drivers from Intel that will fix this issue (it is the 'near future' yet?).

Unfortunately. of late MS Updates (Windows Update) has been riddled with bad patches and incompatibilities. The problem with KB3161608 and KB3172605 is that they are not a simple single update, but were a roll-up where whichever part was broken could not be hidden or not installed, instead is was all or nothing and MS appears to be moving more and more to the Win10 way (combined rollups) for both Win7 and 8.1.

The option provided by GattoNero in a related thread: /message/408202# 408202 Re: KB3161608 + Bluetooth, does work, (worked for me at least) but for the vast majority of Windows users it is way above their comfort level.

Hopefully Intel will have a fix that works inspite of MS.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello,

We are glad to inform that the new version of Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software for Bluetooth® technology for Windows 7*, that fixes the compatibility issue with the Microsoft KB 3161608/3172605 is already available and can be downloaded from https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26191 Here.

- Note that you have to remove these Windows updates and any existing Bluetooth* drivers before installing this new driver.

- This release only applies to the current generation of wireless adapters:

Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3168

Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260

Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265

Intel® Dual Band Wireless-N 7265

Intel® Wireless-N 7265

Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165

Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260

Intel® Dual Band Wireless-N 7260

Intel® Wireless-N 7260

Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160

Additional details, including the instructions to install it can be found in the following link:

A solution for additional adapters will come a few weeks later.

Regards,

Jonathan