Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7429 Discussions

AC 3165 not detecting 5G network

AdrianG
Beginner

Hi,

I have recently installed an AC3165 on a HP Envy 15 laptop to have 5G connectivity capability, all configuration is according to what it is suggested by intel, drivers are up to date but still system doesn't show/detect 5G network. Other devices I have in the same network can detect and connect to 5G without problem. Not sure what the problem is. Thanks for any recommendation.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Khun_Doug
Valued Contributor I

Adriang,

You don't mention the type of wireless device you are attempting to connect to. What model wireless router or access point are you trying to connect to?

Also, when you added the AC-3165 did you completely remove / uninstall the software for the previous adapter? There have been reports of problems with upgrading adapters when the older adapter's software wasn't uninstalled.

0 Kudos
AdrianG
Beginner

Hi,

You don't mention the type of wireless device you are attempting to connect to. What model wireless router or access point are you trying to connect to?

The wireless device it's hitron brand which has the 5G enabled and working fine with other devices I have, I'm attaching below a couple of images with the information of the network

AdrianG_1-1614096923321.png

AdrianG_0-1614096701179.png

Also, when you added the AC-3165 did you completely remove / uninstall the software for the previous adapter? 

Yes, removed the previous wi-fi device prior the instalation of the new one

Thanks

0 Kudos
Khun_Doug
Valued Contributor I

Adriang,

What model Hitron is that? It may be useful for others researching similar problems.

On your wireless router I would recommend you change the channel bandwidth from 80 MHz to Auto. It is not uncommon for wireless devices to link up and then change channel bandwidth as the adapters analyze the signal.

Would you please download and run the Intel System Support Utility. This will collect hardware information on your laptop and save the data in a text file. Run the SSU, leave the default settings, click Scan, then click Next, and finally click Save. Once you have saved the file please post back with the file as an attachment.

0 Kudos
AdrianG
Beginner

- Hitron model is CGNV5

- There is no option to change the channel bandwith to Auto, only 20, 40 and 80 Mhz as shown below

AdrianG_1-1614203401371.png

- I'm attaching the txt file from the intel system support utility

0 Kudos
Khun_Doug
Valued Contributor I

AdrianG,

I know from personal experience that some 5 GHz Wi-Fi adapters will only function with control channels at the lower end of the 5 GHz allotment. I believe it has something to do with international law and not all channels are allowed in all countries. I also found the manual for your Internet modem. I am surprised the manufacturer does not permit a channel width of Auto. Clearly not all wireless devices will be able to negotiate the same connection.

What I would recommend is setting the wireless channel on 5 GHz to one of the lower numbered channels. In fact, try sticking to the first four channels on that band. Try your HP laptop then. If that doesn't work, for testing purposes try setting the channel width to 40 MHz and see if the HP laptop can detect the wireless then.

The important thing is to verify that some combination of 5 GHz settings will permit your HP laptop to detect the 5 GHz wireless router/modem.

0 Kudos