Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7428 Discussions

AC-3168 Bluetooth Device refresh/driver issue

bjmorch
Beginner

This is in reference to the same issue in the following post:

https://community.intel.com/t5/Wireless/Intel-dual-band-wireless-ac-3168-Bluetooth-driver-issue/m-p/676517/thread-id/26513

I am having an issue with my Bluetooth device.  It began when I changed the security option on my router through the browser on my computer.  I changed it from TKIP+AES to AES.  I was doing this so that I could change the channel that my wireless was transmitting on.

I have a ASRock X370 Killer SLI/ac motherboard and it has the onboard Intel Dual Band Wireless AC-3168 with it.  I have tried multiple times to update the driver from 20.100.6.4 to 21.90.2 but it does not want to do that.  In the Device Manager, if the Bluetooth device is enabled, it is in a constant refresh cycle and beeps like it is being disconnected every 3 seconds or so.  It will stop beeping if I disable it.  I am unable to connect any bluetooth devices to my computer at this time either while it is enabled or disabled.  The properties show that everything is "working properly".

I have attached my computer config to this comment.  If I should start another case, please let me know, but this issue seemed to be the exact same as mine.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User

No, don't touch those other devices; they are part of the (Wired) Ethernet solution, not the Wireless solution.

I am coming to the conclusion that you have a bad adapter. You should replace it.

Hope this helps,

...S

P.S. I suggest that you take a look into the AX200 module. It adds WiFi 6 and Wireless-AX support and has a much higher transmit capability. These sell for under US$20 on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZVYKRW9; that's only a couple of bucks more than the 3168.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Since they share hardware, you need to uninstall and reinstall both the Wireless and Bluetooth driver packages. Use this process:

1. If you haven't already, download the latest Wireless and Bluetooth packages from the intel Download Center. Here are links:
    1. Wireless: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29520/Windows-10-Wi-Fi-Drivers-for-Intel-Wireless-Adapters.
    2. Bluetooth: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29538/Intel-Wireless-Bluetooth-for-Windows-10.
  2. Disable Internet access. Disconnect NUC's Ethernet cable and/or disable Wireless.
  3. From Apps & Features, uninstall the Intel Wireless Bluetooth driver package.
  4. From Device Manager, right-click on entry for Wireless adapter and select Uninstall Device. In the dialog that appears, place checkmark beside Delete the driver software for this device and then click on Uninstall.
  5. Reboot, keeping Internet access disabled.
  6. Install the Intel Bluetooth driver package first.
  7. Install the Intel Wireless driver package second.
  8. Reboot.
  9. Enable Internet access. Restore Ethernet cable and/or enable wireless.
  10. Test.

Hope this helps,

...S 

0 Kudos
bjmorch
Beginner

Thank you for the guide Scott.  I followed your instructions, but the issue still seems to be the same.  Also, I noticed that the listed driver for both the Bluetooth and the Wireless network adapter are both not the versions that I downloaded and installed.  The installation files are both .exe files, not .inf files.  When I go to update the drivers via the Device Manager, I am unable to select those files that I downloaded.

What is the best way to get these drivers updated to the most current version so that the Device Manager can recognize them?  Or do you think there could be a different solution to this issue?  Any other information that could help you?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

My opinion? You should NEVER install any drivers via INF and Device Mangler (it was nicknamed that for a reason!). Always run the MSI  or executable. Remember that there is often software included with the drivers and INF-based installation usually does not properly handle its install or uninstall.

If you installed these driver via Device Manager, then you will need to uninstall them via Device Manager as well.

Once you are rid of the drivers, reboot and then, run the executables to do the installation. Remember too that the Wireless and Bluetooth drivers are paired and both should be installed and uninstalled together. Always install Bluetooth before Wireless.

...S

0 Kudos
bjmorch
Beginner

So i have followed your guide as follows:

1. Disabled Wireless and unplugged the ethernet cable.
  2. Uninstalled the Intel Wireless Bluetooth from the Apps & Features.
    1. This had been at version 21.90.2.1
  3. Uninstalled the Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3168 from Device Manager.
    1. This has been at version 19.51.29.1
  4. Uninstalled the Intel Wireless Bluetooth from Device Manager.
    1. This has been at version 20.100.6.4
  5. Reboot computer.
  6. Upon restart my computer started to beep again, just as it had before.  After looking at the Device Manager I see that the Wireless AC 3168 was already reinstalled and the Bluetooth was also reinstalled, but still giving the refresh issue as before.  It was beeping and appearing/disappearing from the list of devices on a regular interval.
  7. I did an uninstall on both devices again within Device manager.
  8. I then ran the install of both driver files that I had downloaded from the Intel site (the links that you had given) for the Bluetooth, then the Wireless AC 3168.
  9. I then rebooted again.
  10. Upon the restart, the same issue persisted with the Bluetooth in the Device Manager.  I simply disabled the device to stop the beeping.  Looking at the driver versions, they were the same as they were when I first uninstalled them and not updated to the new versions that were listed on the files I had downloaded from the Intel site.  The Apps & Features showed that the Intel Wireless Bluetooth was at the proper version of 21.90.2.1.

One thing that I was curious about was all the other Network Adapters in the Device Manager along with the Wireless AC 3168.  I have the LAN connection (Intel I211 Gigabit Network Connection) and a number of WAN Miniports (8 of them).  Should I be uninstalling them as well?  Any further suggestions?  Could this be a bad Bluetooth adapter and I would need a new MB to fix it?

Thanks for the guidance!

bjmorch

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

No, don't touch those other devices; they are part of the (Wired) Ethernet solution, not the Wireless solution.

I am coming to the conclusion that you have a bad adapter. You should replace it.

Hope this helps,

...S

P.S. I suggest that you take a look into the AX200 module. It adds WiFi 6 and Wireless-AX support and has a much higher transmit capability. These sell for under US$20 on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZVYKRW9; that's only a couple of bucks more than the 3168.

0 Kudos
bjmorch
Beginner

Hey Scott,

Thanks for all your help.  I was thinking the BT had gone bad as well.  I didn't realize that the WIFI was just a small module like that before you sent the suggestion.  I have already ordered it and should be on the way.  

Thanks,

bjmorch

0 Kudos
bjmorch
Beginner

I was able to install the AX200 module yesterday.  It works great.  From the testing I did, the Wifi is getting me a better signal speed then before and the bluetooth (the original issue I had with the older card) is working great.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Thanks. As vaudevillian Joe Frisco used to say, "No Applause - Just Throw Money!

0 Kudos