Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7366 Discussions

AC - 8260 - Connectivity Issues

NWins1
Beginner

I have a 2 week old laptop with a an 8260 adapter which has caused me nothing but stress from day 1. I suspect this is driver related and hope it will be resolved, but wanted to post here to give some visibility to this as the adapter is still relatively new. I haven't been able to pickup on what causes the issue, at times it seems as though after periods of extended sleep it will happen. I've also noticed it happens more on battery but I've also had it happen while plugged in. The adapter may work fine for several hours, then suddenly starts dropping connectivity even though it has been in the same location all along.

Scenario 1:

• During browsing, my browser will return a DNS error however my wifi connectivity icon shows full bars. Checking the network adapter shows that it has been disabled on its own. Attempting to re-enable it fails as it says enabling then reverts back to disabled. Eventually, after 3-5 minutes connectivity may be restored but it will continue to lose connectivity every 5 minutes or so until I reboot. Once the adapter goes into this "poor reception state", it will drop connectivity regularly until I restart.

Scenario 2:

• Randomly, the WiFi icon will suddenly show an exclamation mark next to the Wifi icon. The adapter also shows disabled and wont re-enable in network settings. In this scenario, wifi does not restore until I reboot the machine.

Some details:

I am using Intel Dual Band AC-8260 adapter running windows 10 on Skylake Architechture.

Using the latest 18.0.33 Drivers

I have tried this workaround, but the behavior still seems to persist again at random times (Power Saving = Maximum Performance).

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/928152 https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/928152

Here are some of the events that I see being logged regularly when the adapter starts misbehaving:

WLAN Extensibility Module has stopped.

Module Path: C:\Windows\System32\IWMSSvc.dll

WLAN AutoConfig detected limit connectivity, performing Reset/Recover.adapter.

Code: 2 0xDEADDEED 0xEEEC

The description for Event ID 7002 from source Netwtw02 cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

\Device\NDMP6

Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260

The specified resource type cannot be found in the image file

36 Replies
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

macsap,

Could you please confirm which driver version you have installed for both adapters?

Have you tried to reset the router and then test the connection and see if you still experience the same situation. Also, please make sure you the router is running the latest firmware. Please, let us know the results as soon as possible.

Best regards,

Aleki

0 Kudos
PCudm
Beginner

In case it helps anyone, I can confirm that the problem has indeed gone away since I replaced my BT home hub 3 router with the latest BT smart hub.

0 Kudos
MBurg3
Beginner

I can confirm that with my new router the problem is gone. I am using the 5ghz band in stead of the 2.4ghz band.

0 Kudos
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

Martijn.Burgers and Pete_WC

Thanks for taking the time and letting us know that the issue has been resolved. Should you need our assistance in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best regards,

Aleki

0 Kudos
RAJAN
Beginner

Hi,

I experienced same problem, wireless card was showing "Limited connectivity". I discovered the "SK-NDIS" filter need to be disabled from the profile. So that fixed the problem. My connectivity was established when i did that immediately.

0 Kudos
LGian
Beginner

Hi All,

I can see that I am not the only one having trouble with this adapter....

I have a similar issue, and I cannot solve it.

since a couple of weeks, I am unable to use any wifi. every time I connect, my device get disabled after a few seconds.

I tried everything, upgrade the driver to the last version, and all the tips found on this very thread.

on the system logs, every time I try to connect to any wifi, I always see this event:

then, my adapter get disabled:

I am running windows 10.

any suggestions? I'm tired of using LAN cable

0 Kudos
RSher3
Beginner

Same thing here with a Zbook Studio G3. It is frustrating that the old laptops in my house can download at 100MB, and the best I can get from the Zbook with the 8260 is 10...if I am lucky, AND if it stays connected.

0 Kudos
GBoyd
Novice

Begin by switching off the cell phone by pressing the Power rocker. Afterwards press and hold together Volume Up + Power button for several seconds. You should release held keys when the Boot Mode appears. From the menu on the screen select option Recovery, by using the Volume Up to scroll and Volume Down to confirm.

Check https://guideusermanual.com/product-name-p70-a-smartphone-manual&po=331753&lang=English Lenovo P70 Manual for more help.

0 Kudos
JW9
Beginner

I can report the exact same issue. I really hope there's a fix, none of the new driver versions have yielded any success or change in the issue nor does fiddling with the wireless power saving settings.

The network interface "Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260" has begun resetting. There will be a momentary disruption in network connectivity while the hardware resets.

Reason: The network driver requested that it be reset.

This network interface has reset 21 time(s) since it was last initialized.

If anyone wants me to provide more data for troubleshooting/driver fixing direct me as to how and I will.

EDIT: I've reverted to the OEM drivers (from 2015), I'll see if this solves the issue.

EDIT2: Completely wiped all wireless drivers and installed OEM version, it installs but doesn't detect the driver.

0 Kudos
AJohn21
Beginner

Just bought a new MSI computer for my son. GS63VR. It has been having the same issue as described above. All other computers in the house, including his old one, have NO issues with the Wireless connection. With this one, Can't even maintain a good connection. Goes along fine and then connectivity drops to basically zero. Updated all drivers, windows 10 all patches. We did remove the Killer app that manages the MSI network connections as the first step in troubleshooting. Also, updated to the latest driver for the 8260. Just made the change from VHT to HT to test and see if that helps.

0 Kudos
JHein6
Beginner

I have also the same issues with my quite new laptop (Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga 460). However, I didn't see these issues at first when I got the laptop on April. But after updating driver from version 18 (if I recall correctly) to 19.0, these issues started to came up occasionally. Updating the latest driver 19.1 didn't help and I have also a feeling that Windows 10 Anniversary Update (AU) might have just made things even worse.

In addition to restarts with interface, poor connection, etc, I have also experienced often (even more after AU) crashes/blue screen even when there are no applications running. The symptoms are always the same; lost WLAN connection, memory consumption starts to suddenly go up and after a minute or so system runs out of memory, slows down and eventually crashes with "DPC WATCHDOG VIOLATION" message. This happens irrespective of the used AP (D-Link DIR825 or DAP-1320).

The only way to get the rid of this issue was to disable Wireless-AC 8260 and plug USB WLAN adapter in. After that no issues (lost connection, crashes, etc) anymore.

I can provide Win10 minidump if necessary.

0 Kudos
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

JiiHoo, Johnsoap

Intel has recently released a new package version (19.2.0) for this adapter to be used on Windows® 10. For your convenience, here is the link: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26214/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Windows-10?product=86068 Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers for Windows® 10 the driver version in this package is the: 19.2.0.1 - *Important to know that the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260 supports only 64-bit version of Windows® 10. You can use this link to help you determine whether your is OS is 32 or 64 Bit: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking/000005527.html Determine If My Computer Is Running Windows* 32-bit or 64-bit OS

Best regards,

Aleki

0 Kudos
JHein6
Beginner

Well, looks that 19.20.0.6 finally fixed things for me. I have been running my Yoga460 with it and haven't seen any crashes during last two weeks.

Previous try with 19.20.0.1 didn't help, though crashes didn't occur so often. However, I had to also conclude that my old D-Link's N-class AP had issues, as also other devices started to lose connection into it. I replaced it with Asus AC-class AP and that fixed majority of the issues plus also improved speed a lot. Still, it didn't fix all the issues seen with AC-8620 until 19.20.0.6 came available.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I have the same problem. I have had a frash installation of Windows 10 1607 version. Qith the default driver (Afterhours the installation finish) or upgrading to the last version 19.10.

I have try to replace the wifi device with another witout success.

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
PCons2
Beginner

I have the same problem, with an Intel AC-8260 on a Lenovo Y700, and a 6-months-old MikroTik router. I'm on Win 10 64-bit, and the problem is very, very annoying. All other devices at home work well, and I've resorted to using a USB WiFi adapter with the laptop, and with the USB adapter, there are no issues whatsoever. I've updated to the latest drivers, 19.1, I've reinstalled both the AC-8260 and the router drivers, I've tried every possible solution that I found on the web, but it's still not helping. When I do a speed test, the USB adapter shows about 30 Mbps, and the AC-8260 only gets to 5-6 Mbps. Sometimes, however, the AC-8260 would work fine for a longer period of time, but then it would stop working. It is very fickle and annoying, as I work over this connection.

Could you please help?

0 Kudos
SWu37
Beginner

Had a similar problem with laptops with 8260 (no problem with other cards).

The 8260 appeared to keep disabling itself intermittently.

Problems vanished after disabling Power Save Support on my wireless router (other QoS features were ok enable).

0 Kudos