Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7500 Discussions

AC-8260 randomly resetting, event error ids 5002 and 5005

Rave
Beginner

I have an older Lenovo 700-25ISH desktop with the AC-8260 wireless card (which came with the computer) and have been dealing with my wireless randomly resetting at least once every 3-4 days for about a month now. Opening the Event Viewer, I see Netwtw06 event errors 5002 and 5005, accompanied by NDIS event 10400. Device Manager doesn't show any errors and tells me the device is working properly, which leads me to believe it's the driver causing an issue.

I'm currently running driver version 20.70.27.1 from the latest downloaded package, which is 22.110.1. The readme states that something like this was s'posed to have been fixed, but I guess that doesn't apply to my card's driver. I've tried the driver version recommended by Lenovo, but as they haven't updated their version since 2020, it didn't fix it at all. I've changed settings, I've even reset Windows, but nothing's worked.

Included a report created using the SSU.

EDIT: Also having the event 6000 BSS Missed Beacons issue that's been reported elsewhere here, maybe that's part of the problem? Connection problems start happening when that shows up in the Viewer, and they've been frequently seen alongside the above issue.

0 Kudos
30 Replies
Rave
Beginner

It's not that I am having trouble. It's that I don't have the means to complete either step. I don't have physical access to the router for a wired connection. I don't have a phone, much less one with a hotspot. So, still no-go for either. The router thing was a theory, anyway.

Unrelated to the router, would any extensions to the Proset Wireless software be a cause? The Lenovo driver left one on here that kept installing the related service, which is something the generic Intel driver doesn't do. It persisted through several driver changes and even the Windows reset. I'd already gotten rid of the software that was pre-installed on here, but the service kept re-appearing. Reading about Proset and OEM versions of it got me thinking, so I took a look and there it was. I've successfully managed to get rid of it for good now, so I'm going to see how that goes.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello Rave

Thanks for the information you provide me.

Regarding your question about the issue being related to the Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software, I wouldn't blame this software for being the cause of your complication as this software doesn't cause any similar problems. However, we can try it and check if this solves your issue.

I will wait for your response. Let me know if you experience any difficulty.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Rave
Beginner

Yup, not the cause, as it went five days this time before another reset. I wanted to try uninstalling it as it was something left by the even more problematic Lenovo driver. When I was using the Lenovo driver, I wasn't just getting one 5002 and one 5005 error, it was a whole slew of 5002s and a 5003 ("Could not find a network adapter") before the 5005 and reset. I don't get the 5003 error with the generic driver.

The old USB adapter was also not the cause.

The whole thing is weird because it's not doing it repeatedly like I've seen other people post about. It's completely random. Pre-reset, it was more than the intervals I'm seeing now, prob'ly because I accidentally managed to install five iterations of the driver. Now, it's been anywhere from 3-4 days to a week and a half, though it happened twice within the span of hours last night/this morning and I've only seen it do that one other time. That's why I don't think the card itself is dying, but who knows?

Will there be a new driver package with an updated driver for the 8260 soon-ish? The latest driver from package 22.120.1 is dated for January, which is before this started happening. One dated for after mid-February might rule out driver problems completely.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello Rave,

Regarding your question about the new driver coming soon, we are working on the coming driver for our wireless adapter; however, we have no ETA as to when the driver will come out.

Also, we will proceed to check the issue internally and post back soon with more details. 

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Have you tried using another AC8260 card? This is sounding to me suspiciously like failing hardware...

...S

0 Kudos
Rave
Beginner

No. I'm not confident enough to even try replacing computer hardware myself, nor is there anyone in my area I'd trust to let them do it.

I'm already planning on buying a new USB wifi adapter (the one I have is older and doesn't work well with Windows 10), so if it's indeed dying (I hope not but I'm running out of explanations for why it's doing what it's doing, it's six years old and regularly used), I'm hoping it at least lasts 'til then.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello Rave,

Thanks for waiting for a response.

I will reach out to you privately with further details about your issue.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello Rave,

As per our private conversation, we tested our latest Intel driver 22.130.0, and the issue hasn't reoccurred in several days. So we can confirm that this driver solves the issue.

I am glad to know that we found a solution; since the thread is now solved, I will close it now. 

Please, keep in mind that this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel. Thank you for your understanding.  

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
hugprs
Beginner

Hello,

Could you share me the root cause and the solution for this issue ?

I have the same.

0 Kudos
RaveHeart
Novice

I'm the same Rave as above, not sure what happened with this but whatever.

The closest thing I ever found to a root cause was that the card was indeed dying, as contrary to the above the driver didn't actually solve the issue. I bought a USB wifi adapter and disabled the card, which helped me baby that PC along for an extra year before the hard drive began to die.

My current PC has a 9462, which is a little quirky (spams my event logs with roaming messages from time to time) but works.

0 Kudos