Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7441 Discussions

AC 8265 drop connection using Win10 (while all indications seems to be connected)

YA
Beginner

Hey,

I'm having wireless connection drops issues on my Asus UX430UN using Win10.

While the connection drops many times a day, i don't see any indications in OS or it.

I'm using the latest Intel drivers and latest Win os updates.

Adding SOO info.

Please support and help fixing that issue as those drops annoying.

Thank you

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Yoyom,

We understand you're having connection issues on your laptop using the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 in Windows® 10.

From the SSU report you shared, we can see that your connection rate (speed at which your adapter and wireless router communicate) is very low. The reason behind this is that your system is connecting to a legacy Wireless-N network using the 2.4 GHz band. This limits your maximum connection rate from 866.7 Mbps down to only 144.4 Mbps.

802.11n + 2.4 GHz band = 150 Mbps

802.11n + 5 GHz band = 300 Mbps

802.11ac + 2.4 GHz band = 433 Mbps

802.11ac + 5 GHz band = 867 Mbps

It's important to note that your connection rate is always a greater number than your actual download speed, as your download speed doesn't account for network overhead, congestion, RF interference, etc. With a connection rate of 144 Mbps, your maximum expected throughput (download speed) is of 72 Mbps. However network interference may cause this number to drop severely, or cause issues such as the ones described.

The 2.4 GHz band is more susceptible to interference than the 5 GHz band, this band is also more crowded as many devices generate radio waves in this frequency (microwave ovens, baby monitors, cordless phones, Bluetooth® devices, etc).

However, the 2.4 GHz band does have a greater range and penetration than the 5 GHz band. If you must use this frequency, it's better to make sure that your router is Wireless-AC capable. Since 802.11ac has a higher connection rate, interference should be less noticeable.

- What is the brand and model of your wireless router?

- Are you able to test by connecting to a different wireless network?

- Do other connected devices experience the connection issues simultaneously?

- Does disconnecting and reconnecting to the network help?

Best regards,

Carlos A.

YA
Beginner

Thank you Carlos for your reply,

I'm using TP-LINK TD-W9970 300Mbps Wireless N USB VDSL/ADSL

I have no other wireless networks available around.

I'm not sure about other devices as this is my main laptop and device, disconnecting and reconnecting does not helped so much..

If you can help with setting the router correctly i can try this, and i'll really appreciate, at least knowing it's not my laptop.

Thank you

Y

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Yoyom,

Looking into your wireless router it seems that it only supports the 2.4 GHz band. This means that our options are limited.

NOTE: Any links provided for third party tools or sites are offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel® of the content, products, or services offered there. We do not offer support for any third party tool mentioned here.

TD-W9970* User Guide: https://static.tp-link.com/res/down/doc/TD-W9970(EU)_V1_UG.pdf

Page 10: How to access your router's web-based management page.

Page 56: Wireless Basic Settings

Mode: leave default.

Channel: Try manually setting this to channels 1, 6, and 11, and test each one out. Choose the one where the issue is less noticeable or non-occurring.

Channel Width: For the 2.4 GHz band, we recommend using 20 MHz channel width. This is because of the limited number of non-overlapping channels in this frequency. That being said, you can try setting this to Auto or 40 MHz and see if it works in your environment. If this makes the problem worse, set it to the recommended 20 MHz.

Some helpful resources:

- https://www.extremetech.com/computing/179344-how-to-boost-your-wifi-speed-by-choosing-the-right-channel How to Boost Your Wi-Fi Speed by Choosing the Right Channel by extremetech.com

- https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/place-router-best-wi-fi-signal Where to Place Your Router for the Best Wi-Fi Signal by laptopmag.com

- https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/pdf/next-gen-80211ac-wifi-for-dummies.pdf More info on the benefits of 802.11ac

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
YA
Beginner

Thank you again Carlos!

You doing great service, i was on it in the last hour, i figure it out, and started playing with the different settings.

I'm greatful for your service,

Thank you!

Yoni

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Yoyom,

You're more than welcome. We're here to help.

If you have any more questions please don't hesitate to reach out and let us know.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos