Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7367 Discussions

AC9260 will not restore 5G connection after sleep

auslander
Novice

Hi. I've got a Dell XPS 15 (9570) with an aftermarket AC9260 that I need some help with.  This may end up being a bug report with the driver as none of the obvious configuration changes seem to have any effect on it, but I might very well be missing something.  You will see that I've already done fairly extensive troubleshooting and have confirmed that the issue is not with my router or network configuration, but most likely with the 22.0.0.6 driver for Windows 10.

Problem: After sleep, 5G connection will not resume, requiring user to manually disconnect and restart the session.

Environment: Windows 10 Home, 1909, OS build 18363.1139

Steps to reproduce:

• Fresh install of Windows with all driver/OS updates.
  • Let Windows go to sleep.
  • Wake Windows.
  • LAN is connected, but with no internet/WAN.
  • Disconnect and reconnect, network is connected with internet.

Expected behavior:

WAN is connected and accessible on wake.

Troubleshooting steps already tried:

• Installed Ubuntu 20.04 to see if problem persists across different OS.
  • Test sleep/wake cycle.
  • Network is accessible on wake as expected, even after overnight/extended sleep.
  • This indicates that the problem is NOT the router or local network configuration, or the AC9260 hardware itself but the Windows 10 driver, or Windows 10 management of the hardware.

WINDOWS 10 configuration attempts already tried:

Windows 10 Driver Date/Version: 2020-09-17/22.0.0.6)

Set the following advanced properties in Device Manager (None of these settings have fixed the problem):

• 802.11a/b/g Wireless Mode: 6 (Dual Band 802.11a/b/g )
  • 802.11n/ac Wireless Mode: 802.11ac
  • Channel Width for 2.4GHz: 20MHz Only
  • Channel Width for 5GHz: 20MHz Only
  • MIMO Power Save Mode: No SMPS
  • Preferred Band: Prefer 5GHz band
  • Transmit Power: 5 (Highest)
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

auslander, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In order for us to provide the most accurate assistance on this matter, we just wanted to confirm a few details about your system:

What is the model of the Router?

Is this a new computer?

When did you purchase it?

Was it working fine before?

When did the issue start?

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes?

The wireless card, did you purchased it separately or did it came installed on the computer?

Does the problem happen at home or work environment?

Please provide the SSU report so we can verify further details about the components in your platform:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
auslander
Novice

Hi Albert,

Although the model of the router does not matter (since the AC9260 works fine under Ubuntu), it's a TP Link A7.  I do not have anything weird on it like replacement firmware or QoS etc.

The computer was purchased in 2019.

The AC9260 was never working properly under the Windows drivers.

I'm not sure when the issue started - it's always been there since I installed the WiFi card.

This is an aftermarket card but it is certified to work with Dell XPS series.  So I believe I am in the right place for support or bug filing.

No recent hardware/software changes.

attached is the SSU as requested.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hi auslander, Thank you very much for providing that information and the report.

When you install the wireless card on a laptop that is what is called "Wireless Integration", and the thing about that process is that there are a lot of components that come into play, like for example: firmware, board, Wireless card, drivers, PCI adapters, antennas and the m.2 port, all those parts need to be compatible for the proper functionality of the Wireless connection. There is also regulatory information about the "Wireless Integration" that you can verify in the following links:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005687/network-and-i-o/wireless.html

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005846/network-and-i-o/wireless.html

We always recommend to install the Wireless driver provided by the manufacturer of the computer, since that driver was heavily customized by them work with your specific platform. The Intel® Wireless drivers are generic, meaning they might or might not work with your platform.

I looked on Dell's web site and actually, there is no Wireless driver available for the Intel® Wireless card, as you can confirm in the link below:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/product-support/product/xps-15-9570-laptop/drivers

You mentioned, "This is an aftermarket card but it is certified to work with Dell XPS series", so, in this case, the next thing to do then will be to get in contact directly with Dell to check that all the parts are fully compatible, to report this scenario and to check if they have a Wireless driver customized by them available for this integration:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
auslander
Novice

So let me see if I understand.  The answer essentially is that "you are not authorized to install the chip in the computer because you're not an OEM, so we will not support the chip nor use your feedback for future driver improvements."

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hi auslander, Thank you very much for your response.

For Intel® the feedback provided from each of our customers is very, very important and we take into consideration all the comments or suggestions provided by all of the peers in our Intel® Communities support as well as in other forms of support like phone or chat. So, you can be sure that your feedback will be transfer to the proper department for them to be aware of your remarks.

When it comes to a "Wireless Integration" we provide as much support as possible, we do our best to try to fix the problem currently happening regardless if it is a "Wireless Integration" or not, but the thing is that if at some point the problem cannot be fixed then most likely the reason is because of the compatibility of the parts being used and this includes a customized Wireless driver needed from the manufacturer for the optimal functionality of the Wireless connection.

We actually have Intel® Wireless Kits to do a "Wireless Integration" for Desktop PCs, where you can be sure all the parts are fully compatible and that it should work with no problems, here is the link where you can verify that product:

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/201974/intel-wi-fi-6-gig-desktop-kit.html

I will double-check on this case and verify if there is anything else that we can assist you with on this topic, as soon as I get any updates I will post all the details on this thread.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hello auslander, I just received an update on this matter.

After reviewing the case we determined that the problem is related to the Wireless driver since the Intel® Wireless drivers are generic. You mentioned "This is an aftermarket card but it is certified to work with Dell XPS series", that means that Dell itself tested and validated the usage of the Intel® Wireless-AC 9260 on your platform and they should have a customized driver that was used with the same exact computer that you have since they certified it, so we suggest to get in contact directly with Dell to verify if they have a customized driver for your system:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos