Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7429 Discussions

ANTENNA WIFI ADAPTER

paolocorpo
Novice

Dear all,

I have a HP notebook with an wifi adapter REALTEK that is not wifi6

I decided to try to update the adapter using your Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX200

Well! After an update of Bios the notebook is able to run smoothly

I have a question regarding ANTENNA 

Your adapter has two antenna (Main and AUX)

The previous one (Realtek) has only one

It seems to be not a problem running with only one but:

which is the best position for it ? Main or Aux ??

Where may I purchase a new antenna to complete the setup ?

Tahnk

Paolo

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
15 Replies
JosueO_Intel

Hello paolocorpo,

Thank you for posting on the Intel communities. 

In this case, it is important for you to use both antennas as this is a 2x2 Wi-Fi adapter. This means both antennas need to be connected to achieve optimal Wi-Fi performance. 

Regarding your inquiries about purchasing antennas, our recommendation is to use the original antennas included with the wireless adapter. 

It is worth mentioning that this is an integration, in these cases you need to verify compatibility between the adapter and the system with your OEM. Integrating incompatible adapters to a system may cause the wireless card to not work as expected or to have other compatibility issues. Our recommendation is to check with your system manufacturer for assistance in integrating the wireless adapter into your computer. 

Regards,

Josue O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
paolocorpo
Novice

Dear Josue

first of all many thanks for your help

I have purchased the wifi adapter on Amazon and I have not received any antenna

My NOtebook: HP Pavilion x360 Convertible 14-cd0012nl

Original wifi adapter: Realtek RTL8821CE 802.11ac PCIe Adapter with only 1 antenna

Spare wifi adapter purchased on AMazon: https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B07SRFSG1V/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Now I have two antenna:

the MAIN is the antenna previously used by RAELTEK and the AUX is another one

The test of performance says that I have not improved the speed in Download and Upload

Is it possible to purchase the bundled original one antenna by Intel ??

Can you provide some link 

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

As Josue indicated, this adapter is designed for and requires two antennas to operate properly, one for 5.0 GHz Wireless support and one for 2.4 GHz Wireless and Bluetooth support. Now, you have a laptop. The antennas usually come with the laptop. None are supplied with the wireless module; these are a separate purchase and are typically not purchased through Intel.

To add an internal antenna to a laptop, you need an antenna package like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08XN6WMXJ. I caution you, however, that the antenna(s) are normally located in the laptop's lid (to increase their range) and it is very difficult to route an antenna wire through the hinges and into the lid. If you are going to mount the second antenna somewhere within the body of the laptop, it likely will not have the same range as the one in the lid. 

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
paolocorpo
Novice

Dear Scott

thanks for your reply

The antenna suggested by you is not available on eStore

I find these one:

https://www.amazon.it/dp/B074TVS9YX/?coliid=IJOV9H2UDQVAY&colid=11FUYIL5MJ8B6&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

https://www.amazon.it/dp/B08ZHNHVTS/?coliid=IH4DAHESCIQ05&colid=11FUYIL5MJ8B6&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

https://www.amazon.it/dp/B07Q8FZ7Q4/?coliid=I32RP63BHCZDW5&colid=11FUYIL5MJ8B6&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Are they ok ?? Are you able to prefer one of those ?

My strategy:

use the antenna existing as MAIN (I think that it is better located into lid and is important to perform better)

use the new one as AUX and locate it in best way inside alla around

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Any of these could work. Which you choose is dependent upon whether you have room for the tip assembly in your laptop.

....S

0 Kudos
paolocorpo
Novice

Thanks

What do you think about the " strategy " ... ?

Is it better to RE-USE the existing antenna previously used by previous wifi realtek adapter (bundled to notebbok) ? 

If YES ... Is it better to link this existing antenna to MAIN or to AUX spot ?

or

Is it better to use two new antenna with same quality and producer ??

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User
Honestly, I don't know. You will need to answer these questions through trial and error. We know that you will need two antennas. You will need to install one regardless. Then, try using the laptop, at its normal usage location, and see which connections offer the best result. Then try hooking up the additional antenna (presuming you purchased a set of two) and see if it outperforms the built-in antenna. If it does, then find way to mount it inside the laptop as well.
...S
P.S. I believe MAIN is 2.4GHz antenna, supporting 2.4GHz WiFi and Bluetooth. This would mean AUX supports 5GHz.
0 Kudos
paolocorpo
Novice

Thanks Scott

I will purchase as first the kit of two antenna and I will proceed with trials and (I hope) few errors

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello paolocorpo,

I hope that the information provided by the community was useful. 

Remember that in case you need assistance integrating the card and antennas with your system, you need to check with the OEM for guidance on doing so. 

Hope this information is useful, if you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored. 

Regards,

Josue O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

I didn't find any document describing antenna functionality in AX200 adapter, but usually the AUX connector serves 2.4 GHz + BT and the MAIN is for 5 GHz What is the antenna connector functionality for Intel® Wireless adapters?

Leon

0 Kudos
paolocorpo
Novice

Thanks Leon

This looks opposite believing what Scott said few messages before  ...

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Yes, it is opposite to what Scott said. But he wasn't sure. The MAIN connector has black triangle sing to sign that the antenna with black cable should be connected, while the triangle on the AUX connector is white (for white antenna cable). This colors may be not valid on your computer or antenna set.

Leon

n_scott_pearson
Super User
Yes, I was answering from the car and couldn't look it up, so took a logical guess. I have been wrong before - but Leon keeps me honest!
...S
paolocorpo
Novice
0 Kudos
paolocorpo
Novice

The new INTEL new wifi adapter ax has not improved a lot ... 

I have purchased a new Realtek RTL8822BE 802.11ac 2 × 2 Wi-Fi + Bluetooth 4.2

This is installed in different version of my laptop and I hope that this could mean a better compatibility

I will receive it in a couple of week (or before)

I will post here if this adapter will run better or not (despite the fact that it is not ax)

0 Kudos