Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7431 Discussions

AX200 and other hardware(s)

Isty1974
Beginner

What is the minimum CPU to use AX200 maximum performance (with another AX device, like router)?

Ie: Core i5-6300U?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I am not sure that there is a minimum. I have an AX200 module in my 4th gen (Core i7-4770) system and it works just great.

...S

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello Isty1974

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you need further assistance.

Also, it is worth mentioning that the information provided by n_scott_pearson is correct that there is no need for a specific processor. Most likely, the limitation could be on the motherboard's side. It is very important to make sure the motherboard, BIOS and the M.2 port are compatible with the Wireless card. For instance, the motherboard will need an M.2 Key E 2230 socket to use the Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX200.

Generally speaking, the recommendation is to look for a motherboard that already comes with the Wireless card pre-installed in order to avoid issues related to the installation or use of Intel® Wireless Adapters subject to country-specific legal regulations.  Then, you can search for the motherboard CPU compatibility list and you can choose from there a processor that better suits your needs.

However, since the processor model you are reffering to (Intel® Core™ i5-6300U Processor) is a mobile processor, in case you are planning to replace or upgrade the wireless card on a laptop, we highly recommend checking with the laptop manufacturer (OEM) before attempting any change on the system and to confirm all the details about wireless replace/upgrade options. Your laptop may not recognize new hardware when you install an Intel® Wireless Adapter. For more information, please refer to the followiing links:

Note:

Some other Wireless cards do need to be used with select Intel processors/chipset on systems/motherboards that is specifically designed to support it. More information available in this link: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000026155/network-and-i-o/wireless.html

Please kindly let us know if you have additonal concerns or if this thread can be considered "Solved".

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello Isty1974

We are checking this thread and we have not heard back from you so we will proceed to close this thread now. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer being monitored.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos