Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

AX200 link speed cut in half after installing latest 21.90.3 driver

User1590340534024290

After upgrading from 21.80.2 driver to 21.90.3 driver, my laptop won't connect in "2x2" mode. Link speed is normally 780mbps, now it is 390mbps. I am connecting to a 802.11ac router.

It is also impossible for me to downgrade the driver. Keep getting error message "A newer product version is already installed." even after uninstalling the driver in Device Manager.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AndrewG_Intel

Hello User15903405340242904572

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

In order to have a better understanding of your environment and this behavior, could you please provide the following information?

1. Are you having issues with WiFi only or with Bluetooth too (both)?
  2. Could you please provide more details regarding why you updated the driver from version 21.80.2? Were you trying to fix a previous and different problem by updating to the latest version 21.90.3?
  3. When did it start to happen? Did it work fine before at any time? Is this a new computer? Please provide details.
  4. What is the Internet Service Provider (ISP) speed plan that you have?
  5. Do you remember if this issue happened after a new Windows update or Wireless/Bluetooth driver update?
  6. Is the Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 the original wireless adapter that came pre-installed in your system or did you install it?
  7. Have you checked if this issue happens on different networks?
  8. Is this issue happening at home, office environment, or both?
  9. Have you tried to reboot your Router or Access Point (AP)? Or have you tried a different router/AP for testing purposes?
  10. We understand you have troubles to downgrade the driver, could you please elaborate more on the steps you are following?
  11. Router/Access Point exact brand, model, and firmware version:

Also, please run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) and attach the report to this thread to gather more details about your system.

1- Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-

2- Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".

3- To save your scan, click Next and click Save.

4- To attach a file, you must click the “Attach” option on the bottom left-hand corner of the response box.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
User1590340534024290

1.    Wifi only

2.    Intel Driver & Support Assistant told me there was a new driver, so I installed it. I was not having any problems

3.    After I installed the new driver

4.    11mbps, but this is irrelevant. I’m talking about the link speed between the client device and router

5.    It happened immediately after installing 21.90.3 driver

6.    I installed it.

7.    No, my laptop only stays at home.

8.    My laptop only stays in the same location at home.

9.    Rebooting router doesn’t solve the issue. I don’t have another router to test. I have another AX200 device that I did not update the driver and it works correctly in 2x2 mode.

10. I am following Intel clean installation instructions: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000022173/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html

11. Asus TM-AC1900 Firmware 3.0.0.4.376_3199

I think the easiest solution would be to send me the INF file for the 21.80.2 driver, so I can manually install it in Device Manager.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Thank you for your response.

We understand you installed the driver through Intel® Driver & Support Assistant (Intel® DSA) and you are not able to downgrade to the previous version. In this case, if you still have Intel® DSA installed and running on your system, please follow the steps below:

1- Try uninstalling Intel® DSA through Windows® Add & Features/Remove programs and then run the Intel® Driver & Support Assistant Uninstaller.

2- Once Intel® DSA has been uninstalled, please try the Clean Installation of Wireless Drivers and then try to install the previous wireless driver Version: 21.80.2 to check the behavior with the link speed.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
User1590340534024290

Uninstalling DSA didn't help, but I took the 21.80.2 INF from my other computer and did a manual clean install, and the link speed problem is now resolved.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Thank you for your response.

We are glad to know you were able to solve the issue by installing the previous driver version 21.80.2.

Since you mentioned that you installed the wireless card in the system, the issue after updating the driver could be related to integrity problems regarding wireless integration. We only provide generic drivers and there is a change for driver limitations in these scenarios since computer manufacturers can customize drivers and software to enable or alter features, or provide improved operation on your computer. Also, the installation or use of Intel® Wireless Adapters is subject to country-specific legal regulations. For more information please visit:

In this case and in order to avoid further issues, we recommend contacting your laptop manufacturer to check Regulatory Information, compatibility, and availability for customized drivers.

Sincerely,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos