Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7422 Discussions

AX200 unable to detect WiFi Network

pyramation
Novice

I just bought a new machine and put the latest Ubuntu on there, and cannot see my WiFi. nmcli showed only localhost and ethernet... no WiFi at all.

I've searched high and low, and at least have found the commands that I can run to hopefully help you help me

Looks like it's getting error code -110 on iwlwifi, and the commands I ran show that the network is UNCLAIMED, not sure if that's a clue.

I downloaded the AX200 driver from https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005511/network-and-i-o/wireless.html and `cp`'d the file into `/etc/firmware` and still doesn't work (maybe there's another step after `cp`?).

I reinstalled Ubuntu with "Install 3rd party software for graphics and wifi hardware" checkbox... still no dice.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Here is the dmesg to give us some clues:

username@myhostname:~$ sudo dmesg | grep wifi
[ 4.935758] iwlwifi 0000:06:00.0: enabling device (0000 -> 0002)
[ 5.015538] iwlwifi: probe of 0000:06:00.0 failed with error -110

Here is the lspci info to get the hardware info:

username@myhostname:~$ lspci -knn | grep Net -A3; rfkill list
06:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Intel Corporation Wi-Fi 6 AX200 [8086:2723] (rev 1a)
Subsystem: Intel Corporation Wi-Fi 6 AX200 [8086:0084]
Kernel modules: iwlwifi, wl
07:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Intel Corporation Intel(R) Ethernet Controller I225-V [8086:15f3] (rev 02)
0: hci0: Bluetooth
Soft blocked: no
Hard blocked: no

Here is the uname info:

username@myhostname:~$ uname -r
5.8.0-26-generic
username@myhostname:~$ uname -a
Linux myhostname 5.8.0-26-generic #27-Ubuntu SMP Wed Oct 21 22:29:16 UTC 2020 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

This shows the UNCLAIMED network for the WiFi:

username@myhostname:~$ sudo lshw -C network
*-network UNCLAIMED 
description: Network controller
product: Wi-Fi 6 AX200
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:06:00.0
version: 1a
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm msi pciexpress msix cap_list
configuration: latency=0
resources: memory:fc400000-fc403fff
*-network
description: Ethernet interface
product: Intel(R) Ethernet Controller I225-V
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:07:00.0
logical name: enp7s0
version: 02
serial: 24:4b:fe:56:e0:c7
size: 1Gbit/s
capacity: 1Gbit/s
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm msi msix pciexpress bus_master cap_list ethernet physical 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd 1000bt-fd autonegotiation
configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=igc driverversion=0.0.1-k duplex=full ip=192.168.1.228 latency=0 link=yes multicast=yes port=twisted pair speed=1Gbit/s
resources: irq:38 memory:fc200000-fc2fffff memory:fc300000-fc303fff
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
pyramation
Novice

Sebastian!

I just want to report that IT WORKS!

I'm so thankful for your help! I believe it was finally the correct firmware. And then disabling and re-enabling secure boot to get it to properly read it.

In case it can help others, I want to list everything here to get everything working:

Install mokutil

sudo apt-get install mokutil

and check the status of SecureBoot

mokutil --sb-state

In case it is enabled run command

sudo mokutil --disable-validation

THEN REBOOT, verify things work.

Then enable again.

sudo mokutil --enable-validation

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
pyramation
Novice

I've resorted to re-installing 20.04 LTS, since it is more supported. Same error occurs. 

Only slightly different uname and other info that can help:

username@myhostname:~$ lspci -knn | grep Net -A3; rfkill list
06:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Intel Corporation Wi-Fi 6 AX200 [8086:2723] (rev 1a)
    Subsystem: Intel Corporation Wi-Fi 6 AX200 [8086:0084]
    Kernel modules: iwlwifi

and the uname

username@myhostname:~$ uname -a
Linux myhostname 5.4.0-42-generic #46-Ubuntu SMP Wed Oct 21 22:29:16 UTC 2020 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
0 Kudos
pyramation
Novice

I've also tried to load the `iwlwifi` module, but not sure if I'm doing it right

I downloaded the driver from https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005511/network-and-i-o/wireless.html for the AX200

I copied the file to "/lib/firmware", then I ran the command

sudo modprobe iwlwifi

but however, even after a reboot,  the dmesg still has the same error, -110

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello pyramation, 

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.   

In order to better assist you, please provide the following: 

1. The brand and model number of your system. You can also provide the Intel® System Support Utility for the Linux* Operating System for more details: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26735/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-the-Linux-Operating-System

2. Is this the original adapter that came pre-installed on your computer or did you change/install the adapter to this one?  

3. Is the Bluetooth working?  

4. Run the following commands and send us the outcome: 

• modinfo iwlwifi > If there is no output, then the module isn’t installed this is the distribution installation issue. 
  • lsmod | grep iwlwifi > If the result is empty, the driver hasn't been loaded. Most likely to be a distribution issue. 
  • To verify, please type: dmesg | grep iwlwifi > If the result is empty, the driver wasn’t initialized and this is a distribution issue. If there is a result populated, proceed with the next step.  
  • dmesg | grep “no suitable firmware found!” > If the result is not empty, it means you don't have a suitable FW (api mentioned in the dmesg). 
  • Please visit here: h ttps://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/users/drivers/iwlwifi  for supported FW,  or here https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git/ for the latest versions. 

5. If the above steps don't work, collect the debug data: 

Type: dmesg | grep ASSERT   

If the output is empty, please follow this wiki: https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/users/drivers/iwlwifi/debugging  to extract dmesg and trace-cmd. 

If the output has value, please collect from the wiki FW dump too. 

Regards, 

Sebastian M  

Intel Customer Support Technician  

0 Kudos
pyramation
Novice

Sebastian, thank you so much for the help! I will post a 2nd reply with more details after posting the logs as attachments here.

0 Kudos
pyramation
Novice

1. modinfo iwlwifi has input, I attached it in the above post as a txt file.

2. lsmod | grep iwlwifi

empty, no output

3. dmesg | grep iwlwifi 

empty, no output

4. I went here https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git/ and I ran copy-firmware.sh and rebooted, not sure if there was more to do in order to properly update

5. : dmesg | grep ASSERT   

empty, no output

6. sudo trace-cmd record -e iwlwifi

sudo trace-cmd record -e iwlwifi
trace-cmd: No such file or directory
  No events enabled with iwlwifi

sudo trace-cmd record -e iwlwifi -e mac80211 -e cfg80211 -e iwlwifi_msg
trace-cmd: No such file or directory
  No events enabled with iwlwifi

7. ethtool -i wlan0 | grep firmware

ethtool -i wlan0 | grep firmware
Cannot get driver information: No such device

0 Kudos
Khun_Doug
Valued Contributor I

I readily admit that I am far more a Windows user (desktop and server versions), but I have used Ubuntu to some degree. With that said, I will take a stab at helping to get you going.

What type of router are using? I ask because what might work is to get a functional 2.4 GHz wireless available and see if that shows up for the AX200 adapter. You may have already tried this step, but getting at least something the adapter can see will allow the Ubuntu install to get connected. My router permits me to have both bands with the same SSID. MY AX200 PC's connect to whatever they pickup first and ultimately negotiate the AX link.

Do you have something else wireless that can connect to the router? Perhaps a laptop with an AC adapter?

I am not familiar with nmcli. I have used netmon on different wireless clients, and it appears there is a netmon available for Linux. Perhaps try that to see if you can detect any wireless activity.

Is it possible the driver is not being installed properly? Perhaps the AX200 adapter is not even being initialized.

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello pyramation,  

Thank you for your reply. 

I will proceed to check this matter internally, please kindly wait for a response. 

Once we have an update we will post it on this thread.  

Regards,  

Sebastian M  

0 Kudos
pyramation
Novice

Thank you so much! Your help is greatly appreciated  

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello pyramation,   

Thank you for your patiently waiting. 

After reviewing this information, we noticed that you mention the dmesg still has the same error, -110. However, the dmesg.txt doesn't display any info for iwlwifi, or iwlwifi with error -110. 

1). For Kernel 5.4, please try to install iwlwifi-cc-a0-50.ucode for AX200, it is available from zip file at https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git/commit/?id=2ae99744efc14e5329a551251e22b33213224f11 

2). And please help to provide the output of the following commands: 

Go to /lib/firmware and remove the iwlwifi-cc-a0-60.ucode: $ sudo rm -f iwlwifi-cc-a0-60.ucode 

$ sudo cp iwlwifi-cc-a0-50.ucode /lib/firmware 

$ sudo modprobe iwlwifi 

[Here shutdown the system, wait for seconds, then reboot] 

$ lsmod | grep iwlwifi  

$ lspci 

$ modinfo iwlwifi 

$ sudo lshw -C network 

And generate the dmesg.txt again 

$ dmesg > dmesg.txt 

Regards,   

Sebastian M   

0 Kudos
pyramation
Novice

Thank you Sebastian!

I downloaded the new firmware. I can verify that previously I was trying the 46 version, not 50. So this is new and useful. However, I found a small error here:

sudo modprobe iwlwifi
modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'iwlwifi': Operation not permitted

I researched this error, where unsigned code can't be loaded into the kernel when UEFI secure boot is enabled. Unfortunately, the workaround suggested doesn't work for ubuntu 20+ https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/543576/modprobe-fails-with-operation-not-permitted/543580#543580?newreg=6fb2e6cc28ba42beaf86017e7dfec404

I will continue to try and get past this error, I still rebooted and ran commands and output, and have attached the txt files for what you requested.

Is it possible I should start from scratch again and do a fresh install of ubuntu and then start with the firmware in the beginning?

0 Kudos
pyramation
Novice

Sebastian!

I just want to report that IT WORKS!

I'm so thankful for your help! I believe it was finally the correct firmware. And then disabling and re-enabling secure boot to get it to properly read it.

In case it can help others, I want to list everything here to get everything working:

Install mokutil

sudo apt-get install mokutil

and check the status of SecureBoot

mokutil --sb-state

In case it is enabled run command

sudo mokutil --disable-validation

THEN REBOOT, verify things work.

Then enable again.

sudo mokutil --enable-validation

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello pyramation,  

Thank you very much for the update. 

I am very glad to hear that it is now working, thank you as well for sharing the fix with the community. 

Based on that, we will proceed to close this inquiry. If you need further assistance, please submit a new question and we will gladly assist you.  

Regards,  

Sebastian M  

0 Kudos