Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7428 Discussions

AX200 unstable WiFi connection.

ASeid2
Beginner

Hi,

AX200 is able to connect to WiFi Router (AVM Fritz.Box 7490) and goes down regularly (every 5 to 10 minutes) and do not reconnect to Wifi automatically. Notebook has to be reboot often to connect to Wifi again (not in every case).

Other WiFi connector (USB stick) works fine using the same notebook. Other equipment works fine using the same WiFi Router.

AX200 Driver has been reinstalled several times, using documentation from this website.

Lenovo support, WiFi Router support has been contacted and cant solve this problem, unfortunately.

Driver Version: 21.60.2.1

Lenovo C940

Find the SSU protocoll attached to this issue.

Many thanx for your investigation and your support!

Best regards,

Adrien

0 Kudos
29 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

ASeid2, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In order for us to provide the most accurate assistance, we just wanted to confirm a few details about your system:

Is this a new computer?

Was it working fine before?

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes?

The wireless card, did you purchased it separately or did it came installed in the computer?

When did the issue start?

Did you check with your Internet service provider to make sure the Internet is working properly?

Does the problem happen at home or work environment?

We recommend to install the Wireless driver provided by the manufacturer of the computer, since that driver was customized by them work with your specific platform.

I looked in Lenovo's web site and the Intel® Wireless driver that is available is version 21.30.2.1, please test that driver and let us know the results:

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/cr/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/yoga-series/yoga-c940-15irh/downloads/driver-list/component?name=Networking%3A%20Wireless%20LAN

Additionally in the following link, you will find the recommended settings for the Wireless connection, in there you will see some suggestions that you can try in order to try to fix this problem:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005585/network-and-io/wireless-networking.html

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
ASeid2
Beginner

Dear Alberto,

thanks for your support.

I will try to answer your questions in a good manner:

Is this a new computer?

yes it is: Lenovo C940, bought in 11/2019

Was it working fine before?

No. Problem persists since the first day.

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes?

No.

The wireless card, did you purchased it separately or did it came installed in the computer?

embedded card.

When did the issue start?

Problem persists since the first day.

Did you check with your Internet service provider to make sure the Internet is working properly?

Yes. Internet service works fine with all other equipment. At the moment I use another Wifi-Card-Stick (USB) from another provider at the same notebook as workaround, connecting the C940 to the same router. connection is stable. Using the embedded AX200 connecting stay for at most 5 to 10 minutes.

Does the problem happen at home or work environment?

problem exists at home (router: AVM Fritz.Box 7490). At office connection via AX200 is stabile too.

We recommend to install the Wireless driver provided by the manufacturer of the computer, since that driver was customized by them work with your specific platform.

I can understand this recommendation. 21.30.2.1 was installed before. I have installed 21.60.2.1 in order to fix the problem!

I looked in Lenovo's web site and the Intel® Wireless driver that is available is version 21.30.2.1, please test that driver and let us know the results:

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/cr/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/yoga-series/yoga-c940-15irh/downloads/driver-list/component?name=Networking%3A%20Wireless%20LAN

As mentioned above, system indicates the same malfunction using 21.30.2.1 (factory setting / default setting).

Additionally in the following link, you will find the recommended settings for the Wireless connection, in there you will see some suggestions that you can try in order to try to fix this problem:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005585/network-and-io/wireless-networking.html

Thank you for this article, but if you can imagine I checked all your setting recommendation (and articels concerning AX200 and 802.11n/ac/ax Wifi before and did a lot of test in this sourroundings. Problem persists, unfortunately.

Note: Since 11/2019 some time has passed. In the meantime I have done several issues and tickets withe Lenovo support (still no solution) und AVM/fritz.box support. In their opinion the problem cause should be on Intel side, because all the other equipment works well and the Wifi-USB-stick do it as well.

Thank you for your investigation und your support.

Best regards from germany.

Adrien

0 Kudos
ASeid2
Beginner

note: drivers (21.30.2.1/21.60.2.1) has been deinstalled and reinstalled several times, problem persists. Thx!

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

ASeid2, Thank you very much for letting us know those details.

I looked in AVM's web site for a possible firmwae update for the Router: AVM Fritz.Box 7490, there is an update available, it is version FRITZ!OS 7.12, please install it and let us know the results:

https://en.avm.de/nc/service/downloads/productsupport//fritzbox-7490/

In the following link you will find more details in reference to the Fast BSS Transition Roaming, pleaase verify the information in there::

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000021562/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos
ASeid2
Beginner

Dear Alberto,

of course FRITZ!OS 7.12 is/was installed at the Fritz.Box all the time.

I do not understand your second recommendation concerning Fast BSS Transition Roaming: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000021562/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html

In my opinion the note state that AX200 support 802.11k/802.11v/802.11r standard. Fritz.Box do this as well. Please give me an idea what to do withis recommendation (e.g. settings, checks, ... ).

Thank you for your investigation and your support.

Best regards,

Adrien

0 Kudos
ASeid2
Beginner

Dear Alberto,

I did some test on router side concerning 802.11k/802.11v/802.11r mode. Found a setting to turn it on/off. the problem persists in every case and the connecting goes down after a few minutes.

best regards,

Adrien

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hi ASeid2, Thank you very much for sharing those results.

We are sorry to hear the issue persists. In reference to your question about the Fast BSS Transition Roaming, that link was provided just to confirm, as you mentioned, that both the Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 and the Fritz.Box support 802.11k, 802.11v and 802.11r standard.

Just to let you know, some other customers have reported that by disabling the 802.11R (fast transition feature) also fix this problem of unstable Wireless connection, you mentioned that you "found a setting to turn it on/off", please make sure that you are only disabling the 802.11R (fast transition feature) and test the notebook that way, please let us know the results so we can further assist you.

Also, we recommend to open a case directly with Microsoft support to get all cases tracked, so if you could please do so will be great:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos
ASeid2
Beginner

Dear Alberto,

... in my understanding 802.11R is permanently off. Problem persists.

... to ensure this, I have contacted AVM support again to discuss the 802.11R topic on router side.

... have contacted Microsoft, ticket is open. Ticket number is 1492858505. MS let me know, I have to contact Intel Support in such cases ... the circle is complete.

Have attached the Windows Wifi-Report (unfortunately in german). Please open the HTML-File, you will find a chapter "Summary" and there "Session Success/Failures" and "Disconnect Reasons

". There is a count of 22 failures, 16 of them are of the type "Das Netzwerk wurde vom Treiber getrennt.". In englisch does it mean: "The network was disconnected from the driver."

Thank you for your investigation, and please (!!) stay tuned in order to solve this issue! Thank you so much.

Best regards,

Adrien

0 Kudos
ASeid2
Beginner

Dear Alberto,

had a support session with microsoft this day. They did some checks (not very exhaustive) on my machine and recommend quickly to change the wifi adapter AX200 to exclude a faulty hardware. What do you think about this? Does it make sense from your side? (because the adapter works fine in my office environment?). Iam not shure if there is realy a valid chance to get this solved by changing the hardware? From my point of view, we probably dealing with a faulty driver, isnt it?

Thanks for your time & support.

Best regards,

Adrien

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hello ASeid2, Thank you very much for providing that information.

In reference to your question about replacing the Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 card, we just wanted to let you know that Intel® is already working on some compatibility issues with some routers. Based on the fact that the Intel® Wireless card works fine in the office, from our side we can say that it is not for sure then that this hardware issue with it, it could be a compatibility problem with the Router.

Could you please provide the model of the Router being used at the office?

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos
CSinc4
Beginner

Hi Alberto,

I found this thread while looking into wifi issues with the AX201. I am having very frequent wifi drops. The router used here is a Hitron 2250.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
ASeid2
Beginner

Dear Alberto,

thank you for your information about the compatibility issues.

The router being used in the office environment is a Sophos wireless system. The hardware component, which is being used at my floor, is an access point of the Sophos AP-Serie (AP55C or AP100C). 2,4GhZ,802.11n.

Best regards,

Adrien

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hi ASeid2, Thank you very much for sharing those details.

Based on the information you just gave us about the Router/AP used at the office, it seems to be that actually the Router is working in a 2.4GHz band and it is using the 802.11n Wireless Mode.

When you use that Wireless Mode the Router is not using or detecting the "ax" features that the Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 card provides.

For testing purposes, could you please set the AVM Fritz.Box 7490 Router to work in a 2.4GHz band only and use the 802.11ac Wireless Mode instead of 802.11ax.

Just in case, here is the link again where you will be able to change those settings:

Once you get the chance, please let us know the results.

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos
ASeid2
Beginner

Hallo Albert,

2,4Ghz and AC Mode is instable too, unfortunately.

But, I got an interesting hint from another guy in the Lenovo forum. the driver version 21.50.1.1 seems to be stable. Installed 21.50.1.1. The first impressions confirm that...

I will stay tuned!

Best regards,

Adrien

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hello ASeid2, Thank you very much for letting us know those updates.

Perfect, excellent, it is great to hear that the Wireless connection seems to be now working properly with driver version 21.50.1.1 provided by Lenovo. Hopefully, there will be no more problems with the connection and it will remain stable.

In the case you need further assistance with this topic, please let us know.

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hello ASeid2, I just received an update on this matter.

Just to let you know, Intel® will release a Wireless driver anytime soon, that driver should include some fixes for this type of scenario when there is an unstable Wi-Fi connection.

Please keep checking our web site for the new driver release, once it becomes available test it and once you get the chance please let us know the results:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/189347/Intel-Wi-Fi-6-AX200

Regards,

Alberto R.

JAmst
Beginner

HI Alberto,

Just wanted to give you a BIG thanks for your support in this thread. I am really impressed at the effort/patience you put into replying to questions here. 

I was having major issues on my Acer Aspire A715-74G that has the AX200 in it, to work with the Fritzbox 7590. 

When installing the drivers through windows, an older version was always installed. But by using the drivers on https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/189347/Intel-Wi-Fi-6-AX200 (21.90.3.2), everything seems to be working fine now

I just made an account here to say thanks! :)

0 Kudos
ASeid2
Beginner

Dear Alberto,

thank you very much for your hint. Sounds very good to my ears. I will check this recurrently.

Please note: After a view days of dealing with the driver version 21.50.1.1 the connection is much more stable, anyway i get disconnects as well (up to 3 or 4 times a day).

Furthermore, I have some problems using my bluetooth equipment (like mouse). Wifi and bluetooth interfere with each other (mouse freezes/stuck while wifi connection is active; USB wifi adapter works fine in that case too). Seems to be more effort to get this wifi adapter stable and satisfactory.

Thanks for your support,

Best regards,

Adrien

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

ASeid2, You are very welcome, thank you very much for sharing that information.

Just for testing purposes, could you please change the channel width of the Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 card from "Auto" to "20MHz" and let us know if the issue remains? You can find the instructions on how to do that in the link provided previously.

At this point, in the Router, which is the Wireless mode that is currently selected 802.11ac or 802.11ax?

Could you please provide a screenshot of the Wireless settings you have without sharing private information like passwords or IP's? This is just for us to be able to verify which are the options that you have on your platform.

In reference to the Bluetooth problem, we just wanted to check a few details on this topic:

What is the model of the keyboard and mouse?

Which is the current Bluetooth driver version installed?

To try to fix this issue we can always try to install the Intel® Generic Bluetooth driver version 21.60.0.4, please test that driver:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29264/Intel-Wireless-Bluetooth-for-Windows-10?product=189347

Any questions please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto R.

ASeid2
Beginner

Hallo Alberto,

thank you for providing this information and for your support!

I did some screenshots of all the settings of the wifi adapter und did the same for the router settings as well. Please find this attached to this statement. Thank you!

Before I have done this, I switched the channel width of the Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 card from "Auto" to "20MHz" as you can see in my document. Now I will test these changes. I will be right back with the results.

The wifi router is set to 802.11ac as well ... please have a look at the router setting screenshot in my document.

I will follow your instructions concerning the bluetooth issue as well. Thank you for your advice!

Mouse: JellyComb Model MS04

Best regards & a thousand thanks for all your service!!!

0 Kudos