Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7460 Discussions

AX200NGW not connect with Wi-Fi 6 protocol 802.11ax in Win 10 on Lenovo X1E2

tarh
Beginner

Hi all,

laptop Lenovo X1 Extreme Gen 2 never connects with 802.11ax, only with 802.11ac (max 866/866 Mbps) with any AX access points and routers (connection is very stable). Lenovo supplies limited drivers shown on screenshot, but if I install the latest drivers from Intel, the result is the same. In advanced options of Wi-Fi adapter are correct settings, I compared with other laptops that work with 802.11ax protocol. I did a clean reinstall of drivers. SSU is in attachment.

Maybe Lenovo thinks: enterprise-level laptop = laptop with reduced performance, but is it possible to enable 802.11ax protocol for my case?

0 Kudos
29 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

It doesn't sound like you did the clean install properly. Here is proper process for performing a clean WLAN Install: 

1. If you haven't already, download - but do not install just yet - the desired Bluetooth and WiFi driver packages for your adapter. Here are the current links for downloading these drivers: Wireless: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19351 and Bluetooth: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18649
  2. Disable Internet access. Unplug Ethernet cable and/or disable wireless. Keep disabled until told to re-enable.
  3. From the Apps & Features applet, check for instances of Intel PROSet/Wireless Software and Intel Wireless Bluetooth. If none, skip to Step 6.
  4. Uninstall each instance of Intel PROSet/Wireless Software and/or Intel Wireless Bluetooth that is present. When prompted, choose to "Discard Settings".
  5. Manually reboot your computer, keeping Internet access disabled throughout.
  6. From the Device Manager applet, check the Network Adapters section for an entry for Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX2xx and check the Bluetooth section for an entry for Intel Wireless Bluetooth that has an intel driver associated with it. If neither is the case, go to Step 10.
  7. Right click on the entry for Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX2xx and uninstall it, choosing to (checkmark) Delete the driver software for this device.
  8. Right click on the entry for Intel Wireless Bluetooth and open its properties. If it has an Intel driver associated with it, then uninstall it, choosing to (checkmark) Delete the driver software for this device.
  9. Go to Step 5.
  10. (Optional but recommended) Clean out all temporary files using the Windows Clean Disk tool. Ensure you have enabled cleaning of System Files. I recommend that you then checkmark all categories offered, even if no files currently in this category (so it leaves it set up for next invocation).
  11. (Optional but recommended) Clear each of your browsers' cache.
  12. Install the Bluetooth driver package (my rule: always install Bluetooth first).
  13. Install the Wireless driver package.
  14. Manually shutdown and reboot your computer.
  15. Reenable Internet access. Restore Ethernet cable and/or reenable wireless.
  16. Test.

If this does not work, as requested, open a new conversation using the Post a Question button and completely describe your situation. To save time, please download and run the Intel System Support Utility for Windows. When you start the tool, select Everything and then click on Scan. Once it completes the scan process, click on Next and then Save. Pick a name for the text file to create and click on Save to create it. You can then close the app. Finally, open a response post here and then, using the Drag and drop here or browse files to attach dialog (below the edit box for the body of your response post), upload and attach this text file to the response post.

Hope this helps,

...S

tarh
Beginner

Hello  n_scott_pearson,

good instruction for beginners, but I'll wait for answer from Jean_Intel .

0 Kudos
Thomas_I_samohT

Hello Scott,

Thanks a lot for this comprehensive list of steps! In fact, that's a lot more than the 3 steps mentioned in  https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000022173/wireless.html  and I will keep this in mind, whenever I need it.

However, actually the primary issue for me is not to get an older driver installed on my laptop. It is rather, that the newer Intel Wi-Fi drivers (22.110.x and newer) apparently have an issue in my mixed environment with AX/Wi-Fi6 Router and AC/Wi-Fi 5 Repeater. In this case the laptop(s) will only connect to the repeater (Wi-Fi 5) but avoid any connection with the router, even if signal strength of the router is higher.

However, as soon as I remove the repeater from my network, the laptop will also connect to the router with Wi-Fi 6 speed.

I can reproduce this issue it with a fresh OS installation (Windows 11, Windows 10) on 2 different laptops (one with AX201, the other with AX210 NIC). Using the cab file from Windows Update Catalog I can also downgrade to driver version 22.100 (or older) and the issue will immediately disappear.

I am fine with my workaround and don't necessarily need support for this. I only mentioned this issue because I throught it could be helpful for other persons following this discussion. Any maybe Intel can use this information to develop a future driver version without this issue

Regards,

Thomas

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

In the advanced properties for the Wi-Fi device in Device Manager, ensure that the 802.11n/ac/ax Wireless Mode is set to 802.11ax. That's all I had to do.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
Thomas_I_samohT

Thanks! I am familiar with this setting. Anyhow, "802.11ax" seems to be the default setting and it is already selected after each new driver installation. But this doesn't change anything for me with driver 22.120.x and 22.110.x.

In fact with setting "802.11ax" being selected in these 2 driver versions, the laptop will not connect to the router but only with the repeater, even with weak signal strength. As soon as I change the value of this setting to "802.11ac" the laptop also connect to the router.

0 Kudos
tarh
Beginner

Hello Thomas_I_samohT,

I think this is part of the problem with adapter, you can try reducing power for repeater and manually set different channels for  router and repeater.

In my opinion, your case is better discussed in a separate topic.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello tarh,

I will reach out to you via email to provide you with a file to fill with the information related to your issue. Please, complete the file and send it back using the same channel.

I want to try and replicate the issue and gather vital information; follow these steps:

Clear previous OS-System Event Log <--Strongly recommend clearing previous logs before reproducing the issue

Reproduce the issue

Save OS-System Event Log, the .evtx file <--Save all events log without the filter.

And collect the SSU log, the .txt file (available here https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- )

The Intel SSU report you attached has only information related to wireless; please create a complete report to gather vital information about your system.  

• Download the Intel SSU (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18377/25293/intel-system-support-utility-for-window...)

• Open the application and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel SSU will take you to the "Summary View." 

• Click on the menu where it says: "Summary" to change it to "Detailed View." 

To save your scan: click on "Next"; then "Save." 

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello tarh

I hope you are doing fine.

Were you able to check the previous post?

Let us know if you still need assistance.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello tarh,

I hope you are doing fine.

I have not heard back from you. So we will close this thread. 

However, as my last suggestion, I want to suggest you contact and report the issue to the Original Equipment manufacturer since this issue can be related to their limitations.

If you need any additional information, submit a new question, as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards.

Jean O. 

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos