Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7422 Discussions

AX201 - slow speed

Kyle_C
Novice

I have gigabit fiber internet and gets > 700 Mbps on my GPD Pocket 3 with the AX201 wifi 6. However, on another devices (HP Tablet 11) with the same wifi card, I only get maximum 300 Mbps. Both devices have Windows 11 Home. I checked to make sure the wifi configuration ("Advance" section of wifi card in Device Manager) are identical (NOTE: on maximum "transmit power"). I tried enabling "throughput booster" and change "preferred band" from "auto" to "prefer 5 GHz", but this makes no difference. I also updated the wifi card driver to the latest 22.130.0.5 and have the latest Windows updates on both devices. Both devices are on "balanced" power mode. I checked the power options to make sure both devices have the same configuration (there is nothing you can change about wifi in the HP Tablet anyway). I tried running the HP Tablet in "maximum performance" mode but the wifi speed does not change. I also looked at the BIOS - there is nothing about wifi (power etc.). I also have a Microsoft Surface Go 2 with an older AX200 wifi 6 card - it also connects at around 700 Mbps, therefore there is nothing wrong about the wifi router (from the ISP).

Why does the same AX201 perform so differently in two different device? Any suggestion???

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Kyle_C
Novice

I finally found out there is nothing wrong with the AX201 - I originally tested the HP Tablet in my sitting room at the same distance from my router as my Pocket 3, which is about 10 ft away. I thought that this is such a short distance in a condo there is no problem with wifi transmission. When I move the HP Tablet right next to the router and test the speed, it rises to 680 Mbps (when I test with the Pocket 3, the speed remains at the same at 750-760 Mbps). In fact, I also notice there is a subtle difference between the performance of the HP Tablet and the Pocket 3 (which also has Pentium N6000 and 8GB RAM), when the former is slightly more sluggish in opening apps and screen transitions.

Therefore I conclude that the HP Tablet is throttling power delivery to the wifi card (and probably all the hardware), most likely a measure to prolong battery life.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User
When I see only the 2.4GHz band being used (based upon attach speed reported), my first suspicion is going to be with the antennas. Regardless of whether this tablet has an embedded (soldered down) AX201 module or a (removable) AX201 card, it still has leads for antenna attachment and both 2.4GHz and 5GHz antennas must be connected and working properly. Check that this is the case.
Hope this helps,
...S
0 Kudos
Kyle_C
Novice

I logged into the wifi router (10.0.0.1) - it says the HP Tablet is connected at 5GHz. Also I only know how to open laptops not tablets, I would have to send it back to HP.

0 Kudos
Kyle_C
Novice

I did a Windows reset but this did not solve the problem. I went ahead with a fresh reinstall of Windows but again this did not solve the problem. I wonder if there is something in the hardware or BIOS that limits the function of the wifi.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

That's a good question - for HP, who should have been addressing this issue from the beginning.

...S

0 Kudos
Kyle_C
Novice

I finally found out there is nothing wrong with the AX201 - I originally tested the HP Tablet in my sitting room at the same distance from my router as my Pocket 3, which is about 10 ft away. I thought that this is such a short distance in a condo there is no problem with wifi transmission. When I move the HP Tablet right next to the router and test the speed, it rises to 680 Mbps (when I test with the Pocket 3, the speed remains at the same at 750-760 Mbps). In fact, I also notice there is a subtle difference between the performance of the HP Tablet and the Pocket 3 (which also has Pentium N6000 and 8GB RAM), when the former is slightly more sluggish in opening apps and screen transitions.

Therefore I conclude that the HP Tablet is throttling power delivery to the wifi card (and probably all the hardware), most likely a measure to prolong battery life.

0 Kudos