Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7422 Discussions

AX201

TomGriffin
Beginner

I have an Intel 'Ice Lake' Core I5-1035G7 in my Dell Inspiron 5593 laptop and want to upgrade to an Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX201.  Since in theory I should have a CVNio2 because it is in the processor since the PCH is now contained within.  Or back step and replace the Qualcomm QCA9377 controller with an Intel 9560.

Regards,

Just upgrading the network.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

You have to have a motherboard that properly lays out the M.2 socket for CNVIO2 as well. Have you verified that that is the case?

...S

0 Kudos
TomGriffin
Beginner

As stated in the previous post my current one is a cvnio mark 1; the ax series is cvnio mark 2.  No dice on data sheets.  The closest I can imagine it takes an ice lake or newer processor to deal with this issue.  I just want verification.

Thanks retired Intel fellow.

Retired software engineer, MircroFirmware in the 90's busting out Phoenix BIOS upgrades to satisfy HDDs beyond 515mb.

Tom

0 Kudos
TomGriffin
Beginner

They are pin to pin compatible in the sense of using a M2 type E.  The AX series of Intel will allow me to utilize 802.11ax with my new fancy router.  I just do not want to toss cash in the trash if it does not work.  This might be helpful, might be redundant (middle age sucks).  My laptop has a core I5-1035G7 processor.

0 Kudos
TomGriffin
Beginner

I mean it is a G1 series not a G7.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User
You may be able to avoid the issue and just install an AX200 (US$19 on Amazon)? It doesn't use CNVIO at all and thus should work in any M.2 Type E socket. [Aside: I say should because I remember a report of a CNVIO1 system that didn't work with an AX200.]
...S
0 Kudos