Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7439 Discussions

AX210 works for one power cycle after install, and then fails

timotchee
Beginner

Hi, I bought a Intel Wi-Fi 6E AX210.NGWG from mouser.com, and the the card appears to work fine the first time I boot my computer after the card is installed.  However, after restarting or shut-down and subsequent power on, the card or driver fails to function.  In the failing state, when the computer is turned on Windows will report that Wifi is turned off, but I am unable to turn it on via the OS.  The wifi adapter shows up in the Device manager, but the bluetooth adapter does not.  The computer/wifi card are unable to see any wireless networks, and both BT and wifi are completely nonfunctional.

Given that the card appears to work for the first power cycle after installation, it's extremely weird...   Any ideas are much appreciated.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello timotchee,

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities.  

When you mentioned that you bought an Intel Wi-Fi 6E AX210, does it mean that you have changed and installed the new adapter?

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
timotchee
Beginner

Yes, of course.  The Intel AX210 works the first time the computer is powered on.  After restarting, or shutting down and turning back on, the card stops working, and I experience the behavior from my original post.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

You need to do a fresh install of the WLAN driver packages. Here is proper process for performing a clean WLAN Install: 

1. If you haven't already, download - but do not install just yet - the desired Bluetooth and WiFi driver packages for your adapter. Here are the current links for downloading these drivers: Wireless: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19351 and Bluetooth: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18649
  2. Disable Internet access. Unplug Ethernet cable and/or disable wireless. Keep disabled until told to re-enable.
  3. From the Apps & Features applet, check for instances of Intel PROSet/Wireless Software and Intel Wireless Bluetooth. If none, skip to Step 6.
  4. Uninstall each instance of Intel PROSet/Wireless Software and/or Intel Wireless Bluetooth that is present. When prompted, choose to "Discard Settings".
  5. Manually reboot your computer, keeping Internet access disabled throughout.
  6. From the Device Manager applet, check the Network Adapters section for an entry for any Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX210 and check the Bluetooth section for an entry for Intel Wireless Bluetooth that has an intel driver associated with it. If neither is the case, go to Step 10.
  7. Right click on the entry for Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX210 and uninstall it, choosing to (checkmark) Delete the driver software for this device.
  8. Right click on the entry for Intel Wireless Bluetooth and open its properties. If it has an Intel driver associated with it, then uninstall it, choosing to (checkmark) Delete the driver software for this device.
  9. Go to Step 5.
  10. (Optional but recommended) Clean out all temporary files using the Windows Clean Disk tool. Ensure you have enabled cleaning of System Files. I recommend that you then checkmark all categories offered, even if no files currently in this category (so it leaves it set up for next invocation).
  11. (Optional but recommended) Clear each of your browsers' cache.
  12. Install the Bluetooth driver package (my rule: always install Bluetooth first).
  13. Install the Wireless driver package.
  14. Manually shutdown and reboot your computer.
  15. Reenable Internet access. Restore Ethernet cable and/or reenable wireless.
  16. Test.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
timotchee
Beginner

Thanks for the info.  Unfortunately, removing/reinstalling the Wifi and BT drivers didn't work.  I tried through the Intel .exe installation packages, tried downloading and then installing the "driver-only" through Device manager, and also tried the Intel Driver Support Assistant program (which checks for/installs updated drivers for Intel devices).  Even when the AX210 is not working, Device Manager and the Intel Driver Support Assistant program both report the AX210 as functioning properly.  However it behaves as described in my original post: WiFi displays as turned "Off" in Windows, and clicking the slider to turn it "On" does nothing.  Perhaps HP put something in the BIOS that locks out non-Realtek NICs, or anything but the Realtek NIC that came with my laptop.  Which would be fine, if the realtek nic didn't stop working when I step away from the computer and refuse to work again until the laptop is rebooted.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello timotchee,

Thanks for your reply.

As you confirmed that you integrated the Wireless card into your system, you should know that it may not work due to hardware or software compatibility issues or dependencies. 

As each country may have different regulatory requirements before you install/change the Intel® Wireless Adapter in a system, you must contact the system manufacturer to determine if the Intel® Wireless Adapters you plan to install are approved for use in your system and country, as well as compatibility information. You are required to follow the manufacturer's post-approval requirements.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos