Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7617 Discussions

AX211: Bluetooth headset stops functioning / Bluetooth crash

scottinet
Novice

Hello,

I own a Dell XPS 13 Plus 9320 laptop with an Intel AX211 chipset.
I'm using Windows 11, and my AX211 driver version is 22.240.0.2

My headset is a Bose NC700, but I was able to reproduce the problem with other headset brands.

My issue is with bluetooth, and it happens multiple times a day. When I start my computer, and connect my headset to it, most of the time, it works fine for a while. Some other times (but this is uncommon), the symptoms described below appear immediately.

After a while (I cannot pinpoint the exact circumstances), my headset microphone stops working. When that happens:

* other bluetooth devices still work (mouse, keyboard);

* my headset audio still works;

* the headset microphone is still listed under available mics, so it seems that it still recognized;

* all tools that I'm using roughly tells the same thing: "the microphone cannot be accessed", or "your microphone has been disabled by the system", etc;

* no recording tools seem to catch anything from the headset mic;

* the embedded laptop mic appears to continue working.

If I try to restart the bluetooth service, sometimes, everything get back to normal, at least until the mic stops functionning again (this is an improvement since drivers 22.240: with drivers 22.200, restarting always led to the outcome described below).

Other times, restarting the bluetooth service leads to the following behaviors:

* bluetooth cannot be restarted, and the on/off button is grayed out;

* the device manager shows a lot of "driver not detected" warnings on bluetooth devices (e.g. arfcomm, trfcomm, ...) (I'm using a french version of windows, so that this may not be the exact message);

* if I try to restart or stop my laptop, windows is stuck "restarting" or "stopping" it indefinitely. I tried waiting 20min, to no avail: I have to force-stop windows (w/ the physical button). When restarting it, I get the "windows did not stop normally" screen;

* the same thing happens if I try to disable or remove a bluetooth device when windows is in that state.

Please find attached to this post a SSU diagnostic.
If there is anything I can do to get you logs, debug information or whatnot, do not hesitate to ask.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello scottinet,  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. I realize how complicated this is for you and to help you further, I would like to confirm the following:

1. Is this the original adapter that came pre-installed on your computer or did you change/install the adapter to this one? 

2. Just to confirm, is the issue only limited to the system not recognizing the microphone?

3. Is this issue also present with Dell wireless drivers?

4. Is this issue recent? When did it start?

5. Did you make any changes to teh BIOS related to the wireless or audio features?  

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
scottinet
Novice

Hi, and thank you for your response.

1. Is this the original adapter that came pre-installed on your computer or did you change/install the adapter to this one? 

This is the embedded chipset. As per the laptop spec sheet (pdf download) , the exact denomination is "Intel® Killer™ Wi-Fi 6E 1675 (AX211) (2x2)+ Bluetooth 5.2" (I don't know if this makes any difference).

2. Just to confirm, is the issue only limited to the system not recognizing the microphone?

This is not exactly it: the system stops recognizing the microphone after a while. After a fresh start, the microphone works for a while (most of the time).

And the problem description was already quite long and detailed, but this is the current situation with drivers 20.240

With 20.200 drivers, the situation is MUCH worse. I won't delve into this matter to avoid making this post longer than necessary, but if you're interested, I can also provide a detailed list of symptoms for that version.

3. Is this issue also present with Dell wireless drivers?

I just double-checked, and I see nothing nothing related to wireless in Dell installed programs.

As of now, the drivers officially provided by Dell are the "Killer Performance Driver Suite UWD", dated 07.24, with the Intel bluetooth 20.200.0.2 drivers.

4. Is this issue recent? When did it start?

This is a very interesting question. I'm under the impression that this problem appeared this summer.

I have no proof of that, and I might be wrong, but this is actually a good point. Dell released the killer drivers (w/ intel bluetooth drivers 22.200) May 8, so this could check out.

I found older killer drivers on Dell's website (w/ bluetooth drivers 20.190), I'll try those for a bit, to see if this makes things better.

5. Did you make any changes to teh BIOS related to the wireless or audio features?  

To verify I just went to the BIOS: everything seems activated/normal.

0 Kudos
scottinet
Novice

Quick update: this morning I reverted to old bluetooth drivers provided by Dell (intel bluetooth driver version 20.190), and lo, after a few hours of use, my microphone stopped functionning. Restarting the headset or the bluetooth service didn't do anything, I had to reboot the laptop.

This version is a bit worse because if I connect a mouse, a keyboard, and a headset, then the sound becomes choppy. So... I guess I'll return to drivers version 20.240.

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello scottinet, 

Thanks for the confirmation. Based on the issue described, I recommend you try the following:

1. Install the Intel® Killer™ Performance Suite:

2. Check that you have installed all the operating system updates, including the optional ones.

3. Check with Dell to confirm if you have the latest BIOS update installed.

4. If none of the previous steps worked, I recommend you check with Dell so they run the test needed on their laptop to confirm if there are any hardware or software problems. If a replacement is needed, Dell should help you with the process.

Regards,  

Deivid A. 

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello scottinet, 

I would like to confirm if you were able to try the recommendation provided or if you managed to fix the issue.

I will be waiting for your confirmation.

Regards,  

Deivid A. 

0 Kudos
scottinet
Novice

Hi, and sorry for the wait.

I tried your recommendations but to no avail. I'm now running diagnostics with Dell's support, so I guess it's out of the hands of this forum.

0 Kudos
Fillemonski
Beginner

Hi scottinet,

Did you ever found a solutions for this issue? Me and my colleagues are experiencing EXACTLY the same issue as you have. 
Also with the AX211 BT/WiFi module and the Bose NC700 headset.
It's highly appreciated to share the solutions in case you've found one!

Many thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
scottinet
Novice

Hi,

Nope. Neither with Dell or Intel, no solution has been provided. And it's not just witth the Bose NC700, it's with any headset.

Also, I found this kind of report multiple times on Dell forums.

That said, I'm sorry you have the same symptoms. And I think the moderator was right to redirect me to Dell support: I'm now doubting the problem comes from the AX211. Or from it alone, anyway: I bought a TP-Link bluetooth USB dongle, and I completely deactivated the Intel chips. I do not lose the microphone anymore, but the mic/sound problems are far from being resolved.

I don't know who your laptop construct is, but perhaps you should also contact them?

I hope you'll find a solution.

0 Kudos
Fillemonski
Beginner

Hi,

When using an external third-party bluetooth USB-dongle, the issue is not reproducable for so far.
So it must be related to the AX211 module. The model of my laptop is a Dell Precision 7680...

I'm going to open a support case at Dell, in the name of our company, as we have a quite close relationship with them. It's one of our biggest suppliers and we have a dedicated account manager.

Thanks for your insights!

All the best!

0 Kudos
scottinet
Novice

Yeah I agree the mic problem might be related to the AX211, or at least related to its drivers. It's just that the Dell XPS is crippled with other problems, and it's hard to sort out the different culprits. "T_T

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello scottinet, 

Thanks for your confirmation. I am sorry to know that the steps provided did not solve your problem and I understand that you are now working with the Dell support team. 

I will proceed to close this thread, however, you can open a new one in case you need further support or if you face any issues with our products.

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos