Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7430 Discussions

Apple iPhone 4 & Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG adapter

idata
Employee

SYSTEM SPECS:

Dell D810 Laptop, 2GB ram

Windows XP Pro SP3 with all critical updates installed

Intel Pro/Wireless 2200BG internal adapter card

Apple iPhone 4 running OS v4.2.9 on the Verizon network

My Apple iPhone 4 has a feature that allows it to be converted into a WiFi hotspot. But I'm having a problem with that feature using the Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG adapter card.

When I turn on the phone's personal hotspot I can see it in the list of available wireless networks using the laptop's internal wireless adapter card but the adapter will not connect to it. The card reports that it is trying to acquire a network address but after about 30-seconds it times out without making a connection. When I try a second, external USB adapter the iPhone connects to it immediately. Initially suspecting a bad Intel card I repeated the experiment on a second laptop with the same results. The second laptop was also able to immediately connect to a second, external USB adapter.

I've been through troubleshooting with both the carrier (Verizon) and Apple. Neither is aware of any compatibility issues although Apple has turned over my case to their engineering dept. for follow-up.

I now suspect an out-of date driver for the Intel card (v 9.0.4.17, 6/26/2006). That driver pre-dates the iPhone. A driver update is available but before I go down that path I wanted to chat with anyone who has successfully connected their iPhone 4 to the Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG card.

Thanks,

Ricahard Bauer

0 Kudos
3 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Richard

I have exactly the same problem with the same setup (Laptop with XP SP3 and wireless adapter Intel wireless pro BG2290; iPhone 4).

Have you found a solution?

Regards

Samuel Berger

0 Kudos
JCoom
Beginner

I have this same issue. I've found that my laptop would not connect to a hotspot at a B&B I recently visited (unknown hardware), nor to my iPhone 4S (AT&T) nor iPad (3rd Gen Verizon) personal hotspots, all with the same symptoms you describe above.

However, when I booted the same laptop with the same hardware into Linux (Ubuntu Precise), the card was able to connect. This result lends credibility to your suspicion that the problem is with the Intel driver for Windows.

The driver I'm using is dated 10-Aug-2007, version 9.1.2.10.

0 Kudos
srzep
Beginner

Go to windows device manager > network adapeters > advanced > wireless mode > pick value "g" mode and click ok

0 Kudos