Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Asus UX305, Intel dual band wireless-AC 7265: "Limited Connection"

RLah
Novice

I have seen other posts relating somewhat to this same "Limited Connection" at public wifi hotspots.

I received a new Asus Zenbook UX305FA-USM1 unit on June 9 and the home WiFi setup had no problem whatsoever. But the next day, went to major chain bookstore/coffeehouse to use their hotspot wifi and only got "limited connection", i.e. NO Internet. I have had no problems using my Acer C720 Chromebook in the same hotspot location... neither do any of my other Android devices have any problems. But this Asus Zenbook cannot connect... very perplexing.

I have tried updating with Intel's driver and went back to the store, but the problem remained. There is a Best Buy store adjoining the bookstore and even its public wifi gave "limited connection". -- But I will say that did get a working Internet connection at 2 major hardware chain stores and a major hotel. The big hamburger chain was spotty but seemed to work when I got a strong signal inside the building.

So, Intel, what do you say about your AC 7265 unit? Anything? Do I rollback to original ASUS driver... which did not work in the first place, at least I don't recall updating the driver before my first attempt at the bookstore.

I should mention that I have already made the changes mentioned in /message/283535http: this post and will go back a third time to the bookstore tomorrow to test it... is this worth the try?

Please help! I don't want to return this unit just because only some of my favorite hotspots don't work.

59 Replies
APMichael
New Contributor I

Thanks again for your reply.

These are good news. I really hope that the upcoming driver will solve the connection problems.

0 Kudos
APMichael
New Contributor I

The new driver version 18.11.0 is a clear improvement. The connection and the throughput are much more stable. Indeed a few dropouts are still occurring, but at least I can use the wireless connection now.

Thanks! And keep up optimizing the driver.

0 Kudos
RLah
Novice

Glad to here there is now some hope for full resolution...

Just checked the Asus site and still no new update per the latest Intel driver 18.11.0 -- they still show their manufacturer driver 17.15.1.1 from March 1, 2015. I think I'll wait until Asus updates their driver and then give this new Intel driver a try. I hope this solves my problem as well (see posts from June for Asus Zenbook UX305FA).

0 Kudos
AYeun3
Beginner

I have the same problem with you and have tried all the suggestion from jonathan_intel. However, the wireless network works discontinuously.

I found the Intel driver has been updated to 18.12.0 version last day but unfortunately the issue is still existed. I've decided to deliver my UX305 to

Asus maintenance center this week. Hope they have a consummate solution.

0 Kudos
EGuzm1
Beginner

Is really intel playing with the user. I have been reading hundreds of discussions about issues with these cards (7260 and 7265) without any kind of solution, there is even a discussion about to sue intel about this I have the same issue and nothing works not even the new driver. I know this is not an asus problem because you can read in the forums that all brands with these cards are afected. When will they have a real solution to this problem.

0 Kudos
AVora1
Beginner

The new drivers 18.11.0.8 has been a disaster for my Asus UX305. The wireless connectivity has gone from bad to worst. Now my router refuses to connect to the internet as soon as I start my laptop with this intel wifi card. I am now forced to buy external wifi adapter. Hope someone sues intel for such a bad job. I do not understand why Asus keeps on using this driver.

0 Kudos
olevo
Beginner

The new AC 7265 driver version 18.12.1.1 just released on 8/17/2015 seems to have fixed the problem "cannot connect to this network" on my Windows 8.1 ASUS UX305.

I downloaded the Intel driver update utility found at www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect and just run it. After restart the wifi connection worked immediately.

Thanks Intel.

0 Kudos
APMichael
New Contributor I

As I wrote in my previous post I can use the wireless connection since driver version 18.11.0. But sadly there are still heavy dropouts - even with the latest driver version 18.20.0.

Because of that annoying problem I bought a cheap WiFi USB Adapter. Now the wireless connection is nearly perfect: stable, no dropouts at all and much more throughput!

It is badly disappointing that Intel is not able to release a reliable working driver.

0 Kudos
APMichael
New Contributor I

Latest driver version 18.21.0 improves nothing: still heavy dropouts and still only 50% of the throughput of the cheap WiFi USB Adapter...

0 Kudos
APMichael
New Contributor I

I do not believe anymore that this can be fixed with a new driver and/or firmware. It seems that all Intel AC adapters have a design flaw that causes an extremely bad compatibility with N and G networks.

The "solution" to buy a new AC router or access point works only at home. I cannot tell companies, hotels or cafés to buy new AC access points because my lousy Intel adapter does not work with the existing ones...

0 Kudos
PIdzi
Beginner

So, is the issue fixed? I'm thinking about buying this laptop.

EGuzm1
Beginner

you only has to worry about this if you have one of the old wireless routers, which is affected by this bug. Normally one band router, one of the most common you can find in the forums being reported are a couple netgear. If you have a new router or none of those affected routers you should be fine. Dont know if the issue has been completely fixed at all because the router i was having issues with belongs to my parents in law. I dont have have any issue with my netgear double band nighthawk router.

PIdzi
Beginner

How good is the wifi, is it actually worth it? Is the adapter simply faster or is the connection more stable and works over longer distance? Is the speed worth the risk that the wifi at this Starbucks or some other place won't work?

As far as I understand the adapter works with certain wifis and it doesn't with others. Or is it that something can be easily changed in the settings if such situation occurred and then everything will work just fine?

0 Kudos
jbenavides
Honored Contributor II

Hello OldmansHQ,

The Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 will use its full capabilities if the access point also supports 802.11ac; however, it is capable of connecting to older devices as well. For details about the adapter features and capabilities, please check the http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/product-briefs/dual-band-wireless-ac-7265-brief.pdf Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 Product Brief.

The most recent Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers (currently 18.20) can be obtained at the following location:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/83635/Intel-Dual-Band-Wireless-AC-7265 Intel® Download Center

As can be seen in previous posts, there are many factors involved in connectivity issues, in most cases it is reported when using older access points operating in the 2.4 GHz band. In such cases, newer drivers and configuration tweaking normally help with this issue.

0 Kudos
mfigo
Beginner

Bonjour, mon ordinateur est quasi neuf, je l'ai acheté il y a une semaine. Mais mon problème est différent, ma connexion est excellente mais dès que j'éteins ou que je le mets en veille, quand je le rallume la wifi est dite "limité" et je suis obligé de déconnecter puis de reconnecter pour avoir la wifi. Merci

jbenavides
Honored Contributor II

Hello selassie,

Please keep in mind that this forum is supported in english. Using and online traslator, we understand you get "Limited Connectivity" to wireless networks when your PC resumes from sleep. Here are some recommendations that may help with this:

- Make sure you are using the most recent driver for your Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265. You can obtain the latest version from your http://www.intel.com/support/oems.htm Computer Manufacturer Support. As second option, you can obtain the generic driver for the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 from https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/83635/Intel-Dual-Band-Wireless-AC-7265 Intel® Download Center.

If the issue persists, try the following:

- Go to Windows* Device Manager - Network Adapters, look for the Intel® Wireless Adapter and enter the adapter properties, in the Power Management tab, toggle off/on the option "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power". Check if the behavior improves when you change this setting.

- Set your wireless power plan to Maximum Performance. This is done in Windows* Power Options - Change plan settings - Advanced power settings, and set the Wireless adapter to

Maximum Performance, when plugged in and on battery.

- Disable Fast Boot in the Motherboard's BIOS.

- Check you Windows* Power Options, in the system settings and disable "Fast Startup".

DMaud
Beginner

I've had the 'Limited' network issue on my Asus UX305 running Windows 10. Updated to the latest driver on the Asus website (V18.12.0.4) and hey presto it worked as soon as I rebooted.

0 Kudos
RLah
Novice

Thunkpad:

Good to hear of your success. I'm still running W8.1, so not sure about updating driver yet. I noticed otto88 had success on Aug. 25 when upgrading off Intel's website. (How did you get along before this?)

I'm still using dual Wifi that almost works everywhere in public wifi hotspots... the TP-Link adapter works great when Intel's doesn't...

Thanks for your report!

0 Kudos
DMaud
Beginner

We took the first laptop running 8.1 back after the wireless card worked intermittently then packed in altogether. With the replacement it worked out of the box and then we immediately upgraded to 10 and again all seemed fine for a few days before the 'Limited' problem struck. So far the driver update seems to have fixed it.

0 Kudos
DMaud
Beginner

Update: The Limited problem has struck again! Back to square one. Going to try the latest Intel driver now

0 Kudos
WBurn1
Novice

Hi,

I have an Asus UX305 and suffer from wifi dropouts and random disconnects too. It is totally ruining an otherwise quality device.

I have tried every setting under the Sun (power settings, adapter settings, access point settings (20MHz etc).

I have tried the latest version 18.20.0 and the laptop came with 18.12.x.

I am at the point where I think the only solution is to throw away the 7265 and put in another vendors NGFF device.

I do not expect this from Intel, I have no idea why this has not been sorted, the internet is littered with these same issues.

*update i have been trying 18.21.0 and so far for the last hour or so everthing has been looking ok - i delete the old drivers and did a clean driver install

seems better, there was a lot less dropouts, down to just one or two especially when running some graphics. I still think i will be trying another wifi card in the end*

*update a few hours later 48% of the battery left and the wifi is getting very bad now. Justed turned off BT to see if that helps*

*Turning bt off as the last thing to do didn't work. Maybe one day there will be a good set of drivers, even then I wouldn't trust it. I will be changing out the NIC or switching to a

Nano USB wifi. What a shame.*

Regards

Wes