Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Bluetooth problem

NGerm
Novice

How do I listen to my Iphone music thru bluetooth on my pc speakers? ! The Intel Bluetooth program will not connect to all the services needed.

0 Kudos
21 Replies
Muthu_K_Intel
Employee

Hi

This is not supported by Microsoft bluetooth stack on Win 8 and later. You will only be abel to stream

audio from your PC to other devices like speakers, headsets and so on.

----

Disclaimer: Not speaking for my employer

0 Kudos
NGerm
Novice

I am using windows 8.1 and it worked with my old wifi / Bluetooth card before I installed the intel card and drivers. I think intel has a problem with it's Bluetooth drivers because its not allowing all the available services to function. The iPhone connects as well as all the other devices, but it will not stream as it did before with the Dell 1703 card.

0 Kudos
Muthu_K_Intel
Employee

Please trust me. The BT profile called A2DP SINK is not supported by Microsoft on Windows 8 and beyond. This means PC can't receive audio

stream from another device (A2DP SRC) and play it over its speakers.
0 Kudos
NGerm
Novice

I'm sorry but you are 100% wrong. Windows 8 and 8.1 both supported that Bluetooth feature. It's the bluetooth adapter and it's driver that will not allow it to function. Intel's Bluetooth drivers need to be upgraded.

0 Kudos
Muthu_K_Intel
Employee

Hi, You may have used Bluetooth stack from different vendor who might have supplemented MS Bluetooth stack with their implementation

of this particular audio feature.

Microsoft did not support Bluetooth Audio in Windows 7. Intel Bluetooth software adds that feature (both src and sink). From Windows 8, Microsoft provides

native support for BT audio streaming support (only).

You can read more about MS BT support here

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/dn133844(v=vs.85).aspx http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/dn133844(v=vs.85).aspx

--

Disclaimer: Not speaking for my employer

0 Kudos
GMiko1
Novice

Hi, I'm facing the same problem as the initial submitter mrnickg.

I'm unable to listen to my iPod music through Bluetooth on my PC speakers.

I have a Dell Inspiron 17R 5737 with Windows 8.1 and the Intel(R) Wireless-N 7260 adapter ( with BT 4.0) level 16.6.0.8.

Reading the Microsoft documentation ( http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/dn133849(v=vs.85).aspx General Bluetooth Support in Windows (Windows Drivers) it is stated:

"Windows Support for Bluetooth Versions

What's new in Windows 8.1?

Windows 8.1 includes the following enhancements to the Bluetooth stack and related software:

What's new in Windows 8?

Windows 8 includes the following enhancements to the Bluetooth stack and related software:

• Support for Bluetooth version 4.0:
    • Bluetooth Low Energy support allows Windows to connect with Bluetooth Smart peripherals.
    • eL2CAP enables enhanced re-transmission and flow control for profiles that require this functionality.
  • An extensible transport model allowing support for Bluetooth radios on non-USB buses
  • Support for the HFP, A2DP, and AVRCP Profiles"

In the Architectural Overview (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/dn653977%28v=vs.85%29.aspx Architectural Overview (Windows Drivers)), it is stated:

"

This topic presents an architectural overview of the Windows 8.1 support for rerouting audio data to bypass the Bluetooth host controller interface (HCI).

Starting with Windows 8.1, the Microsoft operating system has been updated to be compatible with low power system-on-a-chip (SoC) design solutions. The new Windows support is compatible with either Intel-based or ARM-based SoC designs. These new low-power devices will be optimized for "always on" scenarios, so low battery consumption will be a key factor for success.

SoC architectures use the Universal Asynchronous Receiver/Transmitter (UART) transport mode to transmit data to and from the Bluetooth host controller.

Because UARTs cannot provide time sensitive data transmission, a synchronous connection oriented (SCO) bypass channel must be implemented in addition to a UART, to transfer audio data via I2S or some other connection between the audio codec and the Bluetooth radio. This means that audio data must be rerouted to bypass the Bluetooth HCI. The Bluetooth HCI which would normally be used on PCs to transmit audio data.

It is important to note that this feature is simply offloading the same functionality that exists in versions of Windows prior to Windows 8.1, so from a user perspective there are no use cases that are different between the Bluetooth hands-free profile (HFP) on SoC and Bluetooth HFP in Windows on a PC or laptop."

And after the diagram:

"Note that this Windows feature does not support bypass audio streaming using advanced audio distribution profile (A2DP). Windows 8 provides a separate A2DP profile driver that completely supports audio functionality through the standard Bluetooth HCI without requiring any additional audio drivers."

To summarize: the BT architecture in Windows 8.1 process has changed from the previous Windows versions.

And the A2DP is still supported in Windows 8.1 since it was brought by Windows 8. As a consequence, when an iPhone/iPod is BT appaired to the PC its speakers should be able to play their music.

That behaviour was true on my professional laptop under Windows 7 and the same iPod.

I expect that you would be able to restore such expected BT behaviour on Windows 8.1.

Thanks for your action. Best regards. Gilbert.

0 Kudos
NGerm
Novice

Thank you, Gilbert. I could not have said it better. Hopefully Intel will update their driver.

0 Kudos
Muthu_K_Intel
Employee
And the A2DP is still supported in Windows 8.1 since it was brought by Windows 8. As a consequence, when an iPhone/iPod is BT appaired to the PC its speakers should be able to play their music.

As I previously mentioned, this particular A2DP role (sink) is not supported by Microsoft. Perhaps Microsoft will consider adding support in future releases if you

provide them feedback through Windows 8.1 forums.

0 Kudos
GMiko1
Novice

Hello Muthu,

I contacted the MS Windows support this afternoon. They suggested me to open a discussion Stream in their MS Community site.

Here's the link to the discussion I opened a few minutes ago:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/feedback/forum/fdbk_commsite-feedback_other/about-bluetooth-a2dp-sink-and-src-features/6f46454e-8e62-412e-a9cf-5a358b881093?tm=1408382314512 About Bluetooth A2DP SINK and SRC features - Microsoft Community

0 Kudos
NGerm
Novice

The Bluetooth A2DP issue is also appearing with my Samsung Tab 2. It also steamed with my Dell wifi / Bluetooth card and will not work with the new Intel 7260 AC Bluetooth driver. The only common device here is the Intel card and drivers.

What is the next step if any by Intel???

0 Kudos
Muthu_K_Intel
Employee

@mrnickg - As I clarified before, this feature has to supported by Microsoft. This is not issue with specific devices. Windows 8 and later PC can't receive audio stream via BT and play over its speakers.

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

You will only be able to stream audio from your PC to other devices like speakers, headsets or similar. The Bluetooth profile called A2DP SINK is not supported by Microsoft* on Windows* 8/8.1. This means the PC cannot receive an audio stream from another device (A2DP SRC) and play it over its speakers.

0 Kudos
GMiko1
Novice

Hello Joe,

Intel's position is very clear for me.

What is your feeling about the discussion I had with Microsoft people: The link: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-hardware/about-bluetooth-a2dp-sink-and-src-features/6f46454e-8e62-412e-a9cf-5a358b881093 About Bluetooth A2DP SINK and SRC features - Microsoft Community

You say: A2DP SINK is not supported by Microsoft.

Microsoft says: "Microsoft allows implementation in Windows 8.1 yet the OEM device maker has to produce compatible hardware and drivers."

And according the discussion I had with Dell people, they don't provide such "driver".

Is there some way to bypass such situation ?

I'm fresh retired. On my professional LENOVO laptop under Windows 7 its speakers were able to play the audio streamed from an A2DP SRC device.

NGerm
Novice

It's funny, I have a Dell XPS 8500. Running Windows 8.1 with a Dell 1703 WIFI / Bluetoooth card. I play music from my iPhone to my PC speakers and have from day one. When I replace the Dell card with the Intel 2760 AC card, my Bluetooth will not play music with my iPhone over the pc speakers and the driver does not appear to have that feature. So I have removed the card until Intel does something about this problem. It's not a Microsoft issue it's an Intel driver issue.

0 Kudos
Muthu_K_Intel
Employee

Surprised by the forum (msft) response. MSFT enabled Inbox (native) support for most popular BT features (HID, printing, serial port, audio streaming, voice and networking) and they expect this particular feature is provided by chip vendors?

0 Kudos
GMiko1
Novice

Hi Muthu, this point needs to be clarified between Intel and Dell.

"mrnickg" states that his Dell XPS8500 speakers with Win8.1 and a Dell DW1703 WIFI/BT card are able to play the music streamed from an iPhone.

When he replaces the Dell DW1703 WIFI/BT card with an Intel 2760 AC card, the XPS8500 speakers are unable to play the music streamed from an iPhone.

I have a Dell Inspiron 5737 with the Intel Wireless N-2760 with BT 4.0 +HS I'm facing the same trouble as the one described by mrnickg.

The drivers are those originally provided by Dell.

From the above statements we can say:

1- Microsoft WIN 8.1 allow what we want to do ( PC speakers playing music that is streamed over BT from an audio device).

2- According numerous documentations from Intel and Dell, we know that the Intel drivers may be modified or adapted by the OEM PC vendor, here Dell.

Either Intel does not provide the necessary stuff to have things working as we expect or Dell has modified the Intel provided drivers.

The card adapter being the N-2760 or 2760 AC.

PS: it is obvious to say that the BT device and the laptop are BT connected (appaired).

0 Kudos
NGerm
Novice

I have a better one for you. I also have a Dell Studio xps with windows 8.1 running with a Dell WI/FI / Bluetooth card that works perfectly until I replace it with the Intell 2760 AC card, then again the Bluetooth streaming does not work. So my opinion is that Muthu is full of crap and don't know what the hell he is talking about. Intel better get on the ball and come up with some driver corrections and tell Muthu to keep quiet when he don't know the correct answer.

0 Kudos
Muthu_K_Intel
Employee

Again, Intel supported this feature on Win7 until MS natively supported audio (minus sink) feature on 8 and later. As I said in my response on Aug 15, some vendors have replaced/supplemented MSFT stack to support this and other less commonly used BT profiles. That might be the case with mrnickg. In short, it is best if this feature comes from MSFT so that user experience (UI/UX) will be consistent with other natively supported BT features.

0 Kudos
MSimo7
Beginner

MUTHU KUMAR escreveu:

In short, it is best if this feature comes from MSFT so that user experience (UI/UX) will be consistent with other natively supported BT features.

Same as: In short, we don't care about what you want/need. We don't want to have the trouble and spend the time creating our own profiles, let Microsoft do it.

I too learned this the hard way.. Bought a laptop with win 8.1 and an atheros wifi/BT combo. Streaming audio from my android phone to the laptop worked great.

Updated the card to an intel 7260AC + BT and lost that feature (and others).

Just for fun, tried my sisters broadcom usb bluetooth dongle, installed latest drivers and bam.. works great

So, the other companies embraced the changes in windows 8 and intel still thinks it's Microsoft's fault and will keep blaming it instead of doing what they should.

Keep up the amazing work.

0 Kudos
eshen4
Beginner

i successfully did it with my cheap android phone in win7. BUT, the 7260 card need a unplug&plug cycle to work, Meanwhile, the bluetooth keyboard can't work at all.

0 Kudos