Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7725 Discussions

Can't start Mobile Hotspot on AX201 (Windows 10 21H2 64 bit)

simonstar
Beginner

Hello,

I should enable Windows built-in Mobile Hotspot to share a 5 GHz (only) connection, to which my Windows 10 laptop is connected, to an Android mobile phone with only 2.4 GHz support.

When I try to enable it from GUI it says "We can't set up mobile hotspot"

As far as I can understand (https://www.intel.it/content/www/it/it/support/articles/000023257/wireless.html) the new Windows driver model needs the "Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter" which doesn't appear in Device Manager (also setting "Show hidden devices"). Note that this shouldn't be the old Hosted network connection managed through shell (can you confirm? On the net there is some confusion regarding this). Accordingly I keep the "Share" option in the Properties of the network adapter disabled.

One thing I noticed is that no "Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter" appears in Device Manager, even after having installed the most recent driver version.

The driver info are the following:

Interface name: Wi-Fi

Driver : Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX201 160MHz
Vendor : Intel Corporation
Provider : Intel
Date : 8/14/2022
Version : 22.160.0.4
INF file : oem477.inf
Type : Native Wi-Fi Driver
Radio types supported : 802.11b 802.11g 802.11n 802.11a 802.11ac 802.11ax
FIPS 140-2 mode supported : Yes
802.11w Management Frame Protection supported : Yes
Hosted network supported : No
Authentication and cipher supported in infrastructure mode:
Open None
Open WEP-40bit
Open WEP-104bit
Open WEP
WPA-Enterprise TKIP
WPA-Enterprise CCMP
WPA-Personal TKIP
WPA-Personal CCMP
WPA2-Enterprise TKIP
WPA2-Enterprise CCMP
WPA2-Personal TKIP
WPA2-Personal CCMP
Open Vendor defined
WPA3-Personal CCMP
Vendor defined Vendor defined
WPA3-Enterprise GCMP-256
OWE CCMP
IHV service present : Yes
IHV adapter OUI : [00 00 00], type: [00]
IHV extensibility DLL path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\IntelIHVRouter10.dll
IHV UI extensibility ClSID: {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}
IHV diagnostics CLSID : {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}
Wireless Display Supported: No (Graphics Driver: Yes, Wi-Fi Driver: No)

The Wi-Fi works normally regarding the connection to an AP both for 2.4 and 5 GHz networks.

A solution to the problem but also a definitive word that the card doesn't support this type of Hotspot is kindly welcome!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
simonstar
Beginner

Hello Steven,

Thank you for your effort and your reply. You were absolutely right in pointing at a Windows configuration issue. After digging a lot into the register I found by myself a not so publicly known policy setting which, once correctly configured, allowed me to enable flawlessly the Mobile Hotspot function.

Thank you again

Best Regards

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Steven_Intel

Hello simonstar,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

I am going to research about this. As soon as I have an update, I will let you know.

Best regards,

Steven G.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Hello simonstar,

The hotspot function depends 100% on the operating system and not the wireless adapter/drivers. Our best recommendation is to contact Microsoft or the device manufacturer for further assistance.

Feel free to check this article for more information: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000029083/wireless.html

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question, as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Steven G.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos
simonstar
Beginner

Hello Steven,

Thank you for your effort and your reply. You were absolutely right in pointing at a Windows configuration issue. After digging a lot into the register I found by myself a not so publicly known policy setting which, once correctly configured, allowed me to enable flawlessly the Mobile Hotspot function.

Thank you again

Best Regards

0 Kudos
Ali20
Beginner

Hello
I have the same problem as you and I have not found a solution after much searchs.

Please share us the solution

0 Kudos