Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7458 Discussions

Cannot connect to a 32 character ssid using 8260 or 7260

idata
Employee

Am using the latest driver on a 8260AC (ver 19.1.0.4).

When trying to connect to a SSID of 30 or 31 characters it seems to connect. Using a SSID of 32 characters does not.

I have run Wireshark captures using an AirPCAP adapter and have verified that the card is generating probe requests for 30 and 31 characters, but not 32.

I have verified this issue on several laptops in the office.

Another coworker verified the following on the 7260:

"I had the 17.0.5.8 driver from 6/18/2014 and my system was working. I updated to 18.33.3.2 (the latest) and could not connect to the Device. I then moved to the driver 18.21.0.2 from 11/9/2015 which would not work. I also tried 17.16.0.4 from 4/20/2015 which also worked."

Could this be a off by one error in the driver preventing probe requests from going out?

I should also mention that this is a non-broadcast SSID, so am creating a profile with the specified SSID and manually connecting.

Thank you,

Steve

0 Kudos
27 Replies
idata
Employee

Aleki,

I loaded the new driver on my 8260 (new version 19.10.1.2).

I gave it a try and saw the same results. SSIDs of 31 characters or less generate probe requests, and a 32 character one does not. I verified this with a Wireshark capture.

Sorry,

Steve

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

steve.mclellan,

The latest driver contains a fix for this situation for the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260 on Windows®10 for the time being. Could you please confirm the fix on Windows®10? We are checking this situation regarding Windows*7.

Best regards,

Aleki
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Aleki,

Located a Windows 10 machine with the 8260 adapter.

I tried driver version 19.20.0.6 from the new installer.

Unfortunately I did not see an improvement. It still seems to be showing the same behavior and not sending the probe requests for 32 character SSIDs.

Steve

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

steve.mclellan

Thank you for the report. We are informing our engineering about this. We will advise as soon as possible.

Best regards,

Aleki
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

steve.mclellan,

Thank you for your time. Could please be so kind and check your email at your earliest convenience.

Best regards,

Aleki

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Aleki,

I have to apologize. I went back to the same machine and found that the 32 character SSID was now sending the probe requests as you expected.

Not sure what I did wrong the first time, and I didn't do anything different besides the machine being rebooted since my failed first attempt, but there you have it.

So the problem seems to be resolved.

Again, sorry about that and thanks for all your help,

Steve

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

steve.mclellan,

Thank you for taking the time and confirming that the issue has been resolved. We are glad to know that. Should you ever need our assistance in the future regarding our wireless products, please do not hesitate to contact us. We will be more than glad to assist you.

Best regards,

Aleki
0 Kudos