Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7428 Discussions

Cannot uninstall old Intel(R) PRO/Wireless Driver

BOrti1
Beginner

I'm using Windows 10 64-bit on a Lenovo Thinkpad Helix (36984SU), and when I try to update my Intel PROSet/Wireless Software drivers, I get the following error. "Error [B000006B2]: The older version of Intel(R) PRO/Wireless Driver cannot be removed. Contact your technical support group." What should I do?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

bortiz3466

Depending on the Intel(R) Wireless Adapter you have, Windows*10 provides its own inbox driver.

Which Intel(R) Adapter do you have installed in this computer?

Is this wireless adapter installed by factory or was it installed later?

BOrti1
Beginner

My computer is equipped with an Intel (R) Centrino (R) Advanced-N 6205 adapter, factory installed.

0 Kudos
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

Bortz3466,

The latest drivers for the Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6205 can be found in this link : https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25276/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-for-Windows-8-1- Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software for Windows 8.1* and it is Windows 8.1 compliant. There are no drivers specifically designed for Windows*10. You may try the following steps below:

1 - Download and save https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25276/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-for-Windows-8-1- Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software for Windows 8.1* - File name: Wireless_18.20.0_e164.exe

2 - Go to Control Panel, Programs and Features and Uninstall "Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software" previously installed. When prompted, choose the option to "Discard settings".

3 - In Control Panel, Device Manager, Network Adapters, right click on the Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6205 and uninstall it. Make sure you mark the option to "Delete the driver software for this device".

4 - Reboot the PC or scan for hardware changes, check device manager and if an older driver is detected and installed, repeat the actions to uninstall and delete it as well. Repeat this process until the OS does not allow deleting the driver, or until the controller shows as Unknown Device.

5 - Install the Intel® Wireless driver. During the first steps of PROSet/Wireless installation, make sure to customize the installation and install all the 3 driver components.

0 Kudos
BOrti1
Beginner

These are the only Intel items that appear in the "Uninstall or change a program" list. What should I do?

0 Kudos
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

bortiz3466,

According to this picture, it seems like you don't have the Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software installed. You can go ahead and install it.

0 Kudos
BOrti1
Beginner

So when I went to install the driver file, these things happened:

(1) at this percentage (~60%)

this error happened:

(2) I don't know what browse does, so I click okay, and this comes up

(3) after seeing this, I click ok again and it takes me back to 2. Upon pressing cancel, I'm shown this.

All of this trouble started when I upgraded to Windows 10. I upgraded but had some old VPN software installed prior to the upgrade that ended up messing with the WiFi. To fix this, I had to downgrade to Windows 8.1, uninstall the VPN software (which I actually did before downgrading), and upgrade again to Windows 10. That worked great, so I deleted the Windows 8 reversion files (even though I still see them in my program files list? see below) and moved on. But then this issue came up when I tried updating the Intel WiFi software with Lenovo System Update.

Pictured: Windows 8 files still there?

0 Kudos
BOrti1
Beginner
0 Kudos
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

Bortiz3466,

In this particular case, it seems like the VPN you had installed corrupted the Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software causing this issue after migrating to Windows*10.

Unfortunately, it seems like you have to clean uninstall it from Windows 8.1* and then reinstall it after you upgrade to Windows*10.

0 Kudos
BOrti1
Beginner

Unfortunately, I uninstalled the VPN software BEFORE reverting back to Windows 8.1 and then upgrading back to Windows 10.

I've also deleted the Windows 8 recovery files.... I don't know what the Windows 8 files pictured above do though, so I've left them as they are.

0 Kudos
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

Hello bortiz3466,

At this point a system retore may be a good idea and then you try the procedure we previously informed.

Contacting Microsoft* as well may help in order to check if they have any recommendation.

0 Kudos