Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7441 Discussions

Converting Laptop as router

idata
Employee

Hi Friends,

I have got a question here regarding LAN / Internet / Wifi

Currently I am accessing internet through network LAN cable (Broadband) and wish to share the internet via Laptop as WiFi so that I can connect my smartphone / tablet to internet. Please help.

I am using windows 7 - service pack 1 - 32 bit in Lenovo T410 laptop model. Let me know if you need further details and share the steps using which I can extract those information from system thanks.

Regards,

DILIPandey

Microsoft MVP - Excel

0 Kudos
29 Replies
idata
Employee

Helo Dilip,

I also feel that Android devices are not capable of obtaining the IP address and hence can not connect to a network, to which I want to connect

Can anyone here check and confirm above statement ?? Thanks.

That is actually not true at all, I use my WiFi constantly when I'm bored and shopping to do a little WaR walking. Also, I have no less than four different network configurations on my WiFi. My work, my home, my neighbors, and another friends hotspots.

I can say with certainty that if your device fails to acquire an IP address, it is device specific. By the way, what device are you using and what version Android OS is installed? I'm happy to scratch around and see what I can dig up for your device.

Have you attempted to use other mobile devices to connect to a shared network - WiFi hotspot?

Regards,

Jason

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks Jason for extending your sincere help here

As mentioned earlier I am using Samsung Galaxy ACE | Model No: GT-S5830 with Android version 2.2.1 | Baseband version S5830DDKC1 | Kernel Version 2.6.32.9-perf root @ SE- S605 | Build Number: FROYO.DDKC1

I did not tried other devices to connect. I am planning to try an iPhone to check if that connects.

Let me know if you need any other details.

Regards,

DILIPandey

Microsoft MVP - Excel

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Whoops! Missed this bit! ^.^

As mentioned earlier I am using Samsung Galaxy ACE

Since your phone has WiFi capability, and you have not tried any other devices in your configuration, lets focus on your phone for a minute. What I would like you to do is download a free app called https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer&hl=en WiFi Analyzer. It is a mature app and is very useful for WiFi Analysis. Of course, the visible networks will only be 2.4Ghz networks, but you should still see plenty.

Give that app a try, if you don't see any networks with that app, then let me know.

Jason

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Dilip,

The android os isn't able to connect to ad-hoc networks, as some new pieces in ICS doesn't allow it to.

Like Jason suggest, WiFi Analyzer, or even an app called Virtual Router could work for you.

Of course, you will need your ICS turned on, on the physical adapter, once you have an app installed and operational.

Neil

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Guys..!!

I am done with my research and found that android devices are not able to connect with ad-hoc networks.. even they do not detect that any such type of network is available to connect.

Regards,

DILIPandey

Microsoft MVP - Excel

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Dilip,

I'm sure you'd have done this already, but just incase you might have skipped something, writing it here :

Opening Settings and selecting More >> Tethering and portable hotspots >> Enable 'Portable Wi-Fi hotspot, this goes well with Samsung Galaxy S2 though

For other android devices, you'd need to download an application WiFi Ad Hoc enabler for Android

Refer : http://www.arenddeboer.com/wifi-ad-hoc-enabler-for-android/ WiFi Ad Hoc enabler for Android » arenddeboer.com for more info.

There is another reference I could find, but its for a Tablet. You probably want to give it a try if the above doesn't work though : http://androidtablethacks.com/android-tablet-hacks/how-to-enable-adhoc-wifi-on-android-tablets/ http://androidtablethacks.com/android-tablet-hacks/how-to-enable-adhoc-wifi-on-android-tablets/

Hopes it helps.

Regards,

Barb from WHUK a http://www.webhosting.uk.com/ Webhosting Company in UK

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

A update to everyone interested

Copying below portion from my post # 9:-

============================

Just to summarize, I am successful in converting my laptop as router when :-

Internet Source:- Mobile Service provider

Broadcasting Wifi using:- Mobile phone (Samsung Galaxy Ace)

Destination (using wifi in) :- Laptop (Dell XPS L502X)

Result :- Successful

Now I am un-successful when :-

Internet Source:- LAN (office LAN Cable / Hotel LAN cable) with free internet facility

Broadcasting Wifi using:- Laptop (Dell XPS L502X) releasing wifi using Intel My Wifi Technology / tried "adhoc connection" as well

Destination (using wifi in) :- Mobile phone (Samsung Galaxy Ace) / tablets etc

=======================================================

I got access to my office WiFi and now I am successful in relation with above point

Internet Source:- Office Wifi

Broadcasting Wifi using:- Intel my wifi Techonlogy (My Wifi Dashboard)

Destination (using wifi in) :- Mobile phone (Samsung Galaxy Ace) / tablets etc

result:- Successful

As the intent is to use internet on my samsung galaxy ace smartphone, I am successful when I connected my laptop to internet via office wifi and shared internet using intel my wifi technology (intel my wifi dashboard) .. my smartphone recognised that there is a wifi to connect and after entering the required password (which I had configured ), I successfully connected my smartphone to internet and found no issues.

and hence not able to understand.. whey I am not able to do the same when I am connecting my laptop to internet via LAN cable ??

Is there any difference for smartphones to connect when the wifi is being released from laptop when

a) laptop connected to internet via wifi

b) laptop connected to internet via LAN

??

Regards,

DILIPandey

Microsoft MVP - Excel

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Dilip,

I've found the time to do some testing and found that it does not matter if the upstream network is Ethernet or WiFi.

NIC: Centrino N 6300

Phone: Droid X2

MyWiFi Dashboard: 15.2.0

ProSet: 15.2.0

So basically, I installed the software and while connected to the Ethernet LAN shared the network with the Hot Spot toggle. Phone was able to see the network, good! Unshared the network.

Next I unplugged the Ethernet and associated with a wireless AP, shared the network again using the Hot Spot toggle. Phone was able to see the network, good!

The only thing I would expect to cause problems for smartphones is the Wiresless Mode, but this did not appear to be an issue for me.

0 Kudos
RPope1
Novice

Did you try virtual router plus?

0 Kudos