Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7366 Discussions

Differences between Intel AX211 vs AX210 WiFi 6E/Bluetooth v5.2

Almighty1
New Contributor II

Does anyone know what the differences are between the two models as I noticed the AX211 mentioned in the wireless drivers as a supported model.  Thanks!

57 Replies
Almighty1
New Contributor II

Many thanks, it seems like the drivers since a few months ago also mentions a AX221, AX230 and AX231 as well.  This information will be beneficial to others should they also seek the information. 

0 Kudos
Tiino-X83
Novice
No, but frankly, you realize that this post has been open for 17 days, and that we still don't have the answer to such a simple question...
0 Kudos
MegaIO
Novice

How is your investigation progressing? It's been a long time already. And we can't figure out what to buy.
I'm sure that the difference between AX210 and AX211 is the latter's CNVi interface (as was the case with the AX200-AX201). And there is a typo on the Intel website. But I would like to know the exact information from the manufacturer. I also wanted to know what the new AX411 card is like (judging by the photo, it is also MIMO 2x2).

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello Almighty1, 

For you to know more information about the Intel® Wi-Fi 6E AX211, please check the following link:

- https://fccid.io/PD9AX211NG

There, you will find specific details and features about this wireless adapter.

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Almighty1
New Contributor II

Deivid:

I already looked there, where did you think I got the pictures in the comment(s) earlier?  It is still missing the product brief which is available for the AX210 but not the AX211 https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/docs/wireless/wi-fi-6e-ax210-module-brief.html as someone mentioned earlier, they said the difference is the CNVi interface which was neither confirmed or denied by you or the documention.  The Technical Contact also is not available until atleast November. 

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello Almighty1, 

Thanks for the information provided. Allow me to investigate this situation and check if we have further details to share and also to confirm your questions. I will let you know as soon as possible.

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello Almighty1, 

I would like to let you know that we are working on the "product brief" for the Intel® Wi-Fi 6E AX211, however, we do not have a release date.

Also, I will send an email to the email address associated with your community profile with a Content-ID for the Intel Resource & Documentation Center. You may need to create an account, so please use the following link to know the steps:

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000058073/programs/resource-and-documentation-center.html

Regards,    

Deivid A. 

0 Kudos
Almighty1
New Contributor II

Thanks for the update, perhaps a good idea would be to keep the thread opened and then post a update when the "product brief" for the Intel® Wi-Fi 6E AX211 when available to prevent new threads by others from being created before that is available,

0 Kudos
Tiino-X83
Novice
Frankly, you are strong at Intel congratulations you are releasing a product without technical documentation...
0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello Almighty1, 

In this case, we will keep this thread open for the community members, however, keep in mind that this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel.  

The "Product brief", will be released as soon as possible. Bear in mind that we do not have a release date.

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
Almighty1
New Contributor II

Yes, I know you do not have a ETA but is there any chance you can just post back to the thread when it does become available?  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello Almighty1, 

We will keep this thread open and we will try to update the thread as soon as the information is released.

Please keep in mind that this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel.  

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I would point out that the AX211 module is the CNVio2 brother of the AX210 module. That is, it can only be used in motherboards that have a CNVio2-compliant PCH component and CNVio2-compliant M.2 Type E connector. It specifically cannot be used in a standard M.2 Type E connector (the AX210 module should be used there). Motherboards that previously had an AX201 module installed can, if not vendor/region/country disallowed, use the AX211 to upgrade from WiFi 6 to WiFi 6E.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
Almighty1
New Contributor II

@n_scott_pearson - I just wished that Intel had a product brief on the AX211 and also I noticed that the drivers mentions the AX221, AX230 and AX231 while someone earlier in this thread mentioned a AX411, I have no idea what they are.  Since you are a Retired Intel employee, do you happen to know how to tell if one has a AX210NGW vs a AX210NGW.nv because I purchased a few AX210NGW from EBay and also a few AX210NGW.nv from CDW.com but the AX210NGW.nv on the card itself still shows is as AX210NGW.  Is there software or something else to detect if I have the version with vPro or not since the stickers are the same on both versions.  

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Sorry, I have no idea. Despite my status (and DNAs), I have no insights in this area. Intel Customer Support (@DeividA_Intel) will need to answer these questions.

...S

0 Kudos
Almighty1
New Contributor II

@n_scott_pearson - Thanks, did you mean NDAs?   I had already tried asking in another thread https://community.intel.com/t5/Wireless/When-looking-at-the-card-how-does-one-tell-they-have-a-AX210/m-p/1323016#M38282 only to have Intel Customer Support (@DeividA_Intel) close the thread after responding with I should ask the vendor as it depends on the ordering code which was really no help at all since it's confusing if the product model on the board is the same.  I thought there might be software that can detect if it supports vPro or not.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User
LOL! Yes, I meant NDAs.
As I said, the AX211 is the WiFi 6 to WiFi 6E upgrade for folks that have motherboards supporting AX201 modules. I don't know if there is any distinction for vPro. Are you seeing such for AX210 modules? Is Deivid is not answering your question (I agree), challenge him to get you the right answer. If he closed the conversation, open a new one.
...S
Tiino-X83
Novice
Except that the AX210 is already compatible with wifi 6E!! Both (so AX210 and AX211) are Wifi 6th compatible, and no one from Intel can give a simple answer...
0 Kudos
Almighty1
New Contributor II

LOL, I mean the part number is supposed to have .ng after the NWG if it's the non-vPro version but it doesn't with the actual boards.  I know CDW.com and Mouser Electronics are both selling the AX210NGW.nv and not the AX210NGW according to what's on their website for the part number and what was on the plastic bag's label which is printed by the vendor but the card only shows AX210NGW.  Thanks for the pointers, regardless Scott, I learned a lot from you already including the firmware being part of the driver update. 

0 Kudos
MegaIO
Novice

As expected, the difference between the AX210 and AX211 is the same as the AX200 and AX201. 211 and 201 are cheaper versions, and most of the logic has been moved to the processor. Therefore, 211 and 201 are compatible only with Intel processors, and then only the last 10 and 11+ generations with M.2: CNVio2.

AX210 and AX200 will work on any equipment with an M2 slot with the corresponding key, since all the 802.11 logic is implemented in the WIFI module itself. Of course, in order not to have a lock from the vendor, it is better to buy the AX2x0 version.

M.2: CNVio2 is evil!

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/compare.html?productIds=204836,204837

Product Intel® Wi-Fi 6E AX210(Gig+) Intel® Wi-Fi 6E AX211 (Gig+)         
System Interface Type
M.2: Wi-Fi(PCIe), BT(USB) M.2: CNVio2

Almighty1
New Contributor II

That's awesome that you actually found Intel actually show the CNVio2 part as the System Interface.  I was wondering, what would actually happen if you put a CNVio2 card into a system that does not support CNVio2?  Will it fry the system or just not work.  This reminds me of in the old days of analog modems, a hardware modem versus a softmodem, the later which uses the CPU instead of having it's own on-board processor.  It's always better to not use the CPU.  

Now I wonder what exactly are the AX221, AX230 and AX231 while someone earlier in this thread mentioned a AX411 models as those are nowhere to be found on intel's website other than in the drivers.

0 Kudos