Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7725 Discussions

Difficulty seeing 6GHz access point with AX210 and AX1675x WiFi adapters

Phil9
Beginner

I have a TPLink AXE75 router, I've given each of the 2.4GHz, 5GHz and 6GHz bands a different AP name and I'm using a "preferred scanning channel" with 80MHz bandwidth on 6GHz.

My Android cellphone can find and connect to the 6E 6GHz band almost instantly, and none of my neighbours are using 6GHz WiFi so I believe that the router is working correctly, and that there are no interference problems.

I also have a WinMax 2 laptop running Windows 11, this computer has an Intel AX210 Wifi adapter. In addition, I have a homebuilt Windows 11 PC with a ASRock B650E PG-ITX WIFI Mini ITX motherboard, this computer has an Intel AX1675x WiFi adapter.

Both computers are fully up to date with Windows patches and the  latest Intel Wifi drivers.

While both of my Windows computers are able to connect to the 6GHz AP, and once connected work perfectly, both computers frequently have difficulty seeing the 6GHz AP immediately after boot or after WiFi is turned on.

Sometimes they find the 6GHz AP immediately, sometimes it takes a minute or two, and sometimes even after 10 minutes of waiting, they still haven't managed to find the 6GHz AP. 

Both computers find and connect to the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands almost instantly, but I want to use the 6GHz band to avoid interference from my neighbours. 

Edit:

I've found  out what the problem is - my router is broadcasting a region code of 'DE', with no option to change it to the correct code of 'UK' (TP-Link seem to use the 'DE' region code for all routers sold in Europe).

There are therefore 3 networks (1 for each band on my router) that are broadcasting 'DE', there are 3 neighbouring routers broadcasting the correct 'UK' region code, and there are two other routers broadcasting the 'XA' region code. 

When my Intel network modules can't find a simple majority in the list of region codes, 6GHz is disabled in the module.

This is terrible behaviour on the part of the Intel driver, because in my case, 6GHz operation is, in fact, allowed in all of the regions that have been detected. The driver should not disable 6GHz if, in fact, all detected regions allow 6GHz operation.

Given how popular TP-Link routers are, this issue must be causing a huge amount of disruption to Intel LAR/DRS and I believe that Intel would be well advised to take this up with TP-Link. 

In addition of course to making the above suggested changes to the drivers for AX210 and AX1675x WiFi modules.

Given that I can see 3 different region codes being broadcast just in my neighbourhood, it is clear that router region code support is a mess, and it is a bit of a surprise that AX210 and AX1675x WiFi modules work well for anyone on 6GHz. 

(Although looking at the number of similar complaints on the internet, perhaps it is true to say that these Intel products rarely work well for anyone).

0 Kudos
0 Replies