Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7366 Discussions

'Failed to parse setup.xml' error message when trying to install the newest wireless driver.

ldelva
Beginner

Im trying to install the driver 'WiFi-22.100.1-Driver64-Win10-Win11.exe' for my Wi-Fi 6 AX201 160 MHz card, but when I run it as administrator the error message 'Failed to parse setup.xml' comes up. I've tried both downloading the driver manually and through the Driver & Support Assistant. I've never had issues installing previous drivers, so I have no idea what's going on. I first tried on Windows 10 and has since updated to Windows 11, but the problem persists.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
DeividA_Intel

Hello ldelva,  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.   

In order to better assist you, please provide the following:  

1. Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) to gather more details about the system.  

2. Is this the original adapter that came pre-installed on your computer or did you change/install the adapter to this one?   

3. Is this a laptop or desktop computer? 

4. Did you notice this issue with the drivers from the laptop/motherboard manufacturer?

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
ldelva
Beginner

1. I've attached the result of the SSU scan as a .txt to my message.

2. This is the original adapter that came installed in my Surface Laptop 3

3. I have a Surface Laptop 3

4. This is the first driver I've experienced this kind of problem with.

I've also periodically had trouble with the network adapter not being able to start and/or detect any networks. As far as I know this is a known issue with this network adapter, and have found solutions involving installing the newest drivers but this new problem stops me from doing that.

Hope this new info can help in resolving my problem.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I suggest you try a clean install. Here is the proper process for doing so: 

1. If you haven't already, download - but do not install just yet - the latest Bluetooth and WiFi drivers for your adapter. Here are links to the driver packages: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19351 and https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18649. 
  2. Disable Internet access. Unplug Ethernet cable and/or disable wireless. Keep disabled until told to re-enable.
  3. From the Apps & Features applet, check for instances of Intel PROSet/Wireless Software and Intel Wireless Bluetooth. If none, skip to Step 6.
  4. Uninstall each instance of Intel PROSet/Wireless Software and Intel Wireless Bluetooth that is present. When prompted, choose to "Discard Settings".
  5. Manually reboot your computer, keeping Internet access disabled throughout.
  6. From the Device Manager applet, check the Network Adapters section for an entry for Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX201 and check the Bluetooth section for an entry for Intel Wireless Bluetooth that has an intel driver associated with it. If neither is the case, go to Step 10.
  7. Right click on the entry for Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX201 and uninstall it, choosing to (checkmark) Delete the driver software for this device.
  8. Right click on the entry for Intel Wireless Bluetooth and open its properties. If it has an Intel driver associated with it, then uninstall it, choosing to (checkmark) Delete the driver software for this device.
  9. Go to Step 5.
  10. (Optional but recommended) Clean out all temporary files using the Windows Clean Disk tool. Ensure you have enabled cleaning of System Files. I recommend that you then checkmark all categories offered, even if no files currently in this category (so it leaves it set up for next invocation).
  11. (Optional but recommended) Clear each of your browsers' caches.
  12. Install the Bluetooth driver package (my rule: always do Bluetooth first).
  13. Install the Wireless driver package.
  14. Manually shutdown and reboot your computer.
  15. Enable Internet access.
  16. Test.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
ldelva
Beginner

I followed all the steps including the optional ones, but the problem still persists.

After having followed the steps I tried to install the 22.90.0 driver instead, but attempting to do that, it said that newer products were already installed. I've attached a screenshot of the message I get when trying to install 22.90.0.

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello ldelva, 

Based on the issue and the steps performed I recommend you to check with Microsoft to confirm if they placed a restriction on their laptop that block generic drivers (Intel) and only allow customized drivers (Microsoft).

Try to install the drivers from the Microsoft website to get in contact with them for installation instructions.

Please let me know if the issue persists after installing Microsoft drivers.

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello ldelva,  

I reviewed your post, please let me know if the issue was resolved, if not, do not hesitate, just reply back.

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello ldelva, 

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this inquiry. If you need further assistance or if you have additional questions, please create a new thread and we will gladly assist you.    

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
PatKen
Beginner

Hello,

Might not apply the same to you, but I was able to solve this problem by dragging the setup.xml and the installer exe into the extentions file.

Hope this works!

0 Kudos