I have two new HP EliteBook 850 G7 with intel Wi-Fi 6 AX201 adapter.
I have the latest version MS Windows 10 Pro 20H2 with latest updates.
I have installed the latest Wi-Fi 6 AX201 version 126.96.36.199
When I work at home or at our customers via Wi-Fi network I get one two random laptop freezes a day.
This is total Lock-Up I can only hold the Power button for 5 second to turn the laptop Off and start it again.
This is happening only when I am connected via Wi-Fi network, when I am connected via network cable via docking station everything work OK without freezes.
The problem is the same on both Laptops and I made several fresh Windows 10 install on both and the problem is the same.
Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.
Please provide the following details:
1. The driver version 188.8.131.52 that you have installed is it the one on the HP's website or Intel's website? Can you try testing both in case you have not done it yet? Please make sure to make a clean installation. Note: When doing a clean install, do it for both (Wi-Fi and Bluetooth) and also use the version provided by HP* and Intel®.
2. Are you having issues with Bluetooth also or only Wi-Fi?
3. Is this the original adapter that was installed in your system? Or did you change/install this adapter separately?
4. Do you see any error messages when this happens?
5. Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) and attach the report generated:
- Open the application, check the "Everything" box, and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View".
- Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".
- To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save".
- Use the option under the reply window to attach the report to the thread (Drag and drop here or browse files to attach).
Intel Customer Support Technician
- I tried both versions Intel latest and HP latest the freezes still occur. yes I did clean install uninstalled previous drives and installed new one. And Yes I did it for both Bluetooth and WiFi. I use Logitech MX Anyhere Bluetooth mouse but I tried with USB cable connected mouse and I still get the freezes.
- I use MyPhone app on Windows 10 and I have connected android phone so I can make and receive calls from MyPhone app directly in Windows. The sound is often distorted when I talk via bluetooth. I deleted phone from Bluetoth and the freezes are the same.
- This is factory installed adapter in HP Elite 850 G7 laptop
- No messages the OS freezes and all I can do is to hold the power button to turn the laptop off and the on again
- I attached the report
- I have two identical Laptops and the problem is the same on both. When I upgraded Bios to latest version the freeze occur instantly when connected to WiFI network after Log On to Windows. When I downgraded bios version back now I got one or two freezes a day only. This is HighEnd Laptop and I did not excpect to have so many problems with it and lost so much time to find solution to the problem.
This may not be the news you were hoping for, but I strongly suspect the problem is something with the laptop firmware. The fact that you changed firmware versions and the behavior changed would really suggest the issue is related to that. I would contact the laptop manufacturer and go over the problem with them.
One thing you can try is limiting the connection speeds on the wireless. In device Manager there are options to limit the 802.11ax to only AC. Just as a test, try limiting the wireless from being able to negotiate an AX link.
Finally, one thing we saw frequently in my career as Network Admin was problems with Power Management. We would disable the option for Power Management to power off the adapters. And we would also set the PC or laptop so it could not go into hibernate/sleep mode. I know this is going to chew into the laptop battery time, but your issue really could be related to power management. You can try disabling all the hibernate/sleep options and see if that prevents the lockups.
By any chance do you have an update on this?
As previously mentioned by @Khun_Doug, this seems to be a problem specifically related to your system. Additionally, due to the fact that the BIOS version affects this behavior more, it shows that this is something that needs to be reported to HP*.
Also, did you try the other Khun_Doug's recommendations? Please let me know if you need further help.
Intel Customer Support Technician
I dont know what solved the problem ( Microsoft or HP ) , but laptop now works OK for 10 days without freezes. I installed the latest Windows updates again and updated HP Bios to latest version. I didnt update WiFi or Bluetooth drivers.
This are the latest Bios and FW fixes but I dont find anything related to my problems.
HP BIOS and System Firmware (S70,S73) 01.03.02 Rev.A Nov 13, 2020
Fix and enhancements:
- Fixes an issue on a discrete GPU (dGPU) system where the system cannot detect an external dock or external display when the system resumes from a hibernate or system off state.
- Fixes an issue where the HP Sure start Recovery screen is unexpectedly displayed when Sure Start BIOS Setting Protection is enabled.
- Fixes an issue where Secure Erase does not execute properly when the display is changed to a non-English language.
- Fixes an issue on a system using the Traditional Chinese language where option, Power button delay to avoid accidental activation for system sleep or power down, is visually distorted.
- Fixes an issue on a system using the Japanese language where the text is incomplete for the F3 help message, Check HP.com for BIOS Updates.
- Fixes an issue where the BIOS options, OS Recovery Agent Provisioning Version and OS Recovery Image Provisioning Version, are formatted differently in the BIOS Configuration Utility and the F10 setup, Backup current setting to USB device.
- Fixes an issue where a system using external Hard Disk Drive boots to a black screen.
- Fixes an issue where the display does not function properly when the system is connected to an Apple XDR monitor.
- Fixes an issue where certain USB-C third-party headphones are not detected when connected to the USB-C port.
- Fixes an issue where an HDMI/VGA monitor connected to an HP USB-C Travel Hub G2 does not function properly when hi-resolution is enabled.
- Fixes an issue where a system using a 15W USB-C adapter cannot recharge the battery when the system is in dead battery mode.
- Addresses security vulnerabilities CVE-2020-8694, CVE-2020-8695.
- Addresses security vulnerabilities CVE-2020-8705, CVE-2020-8744, CVE-2020-8745, CVE-2020-8746, CVE-2020-8747, CVE-2020-8749, CVE-2020-8752, CVE-2020-8753, CVE-2020-8754, CVE-2020-8755, CVE-2020-8756, CVE-2020-8757, CVE-2020-8760, CVE-2020-12297, CVE-2020-12303, CVE-2020-12355, CVE-2020-12356.
- Updates the Thunderbolt security firmware to version 3. NOTE: Due to the security upgrades, after this package is run, the firmware cannot be downgraded to previous versions.
- Adds public WMI support to get battery information via third party software.
- Updates HP Sure Run Agent to v184.108.40.206.
- Provides the Critical Security Update.
- Includes the following firmware:
EC/SIO Firmware, version 06.37.00
Cypress Power Delivery (PD) Firmware (CCG5), version 1.7.0
Intel GOP EFI Driver, version 9.0.1107.A.11
NVIDIA vBIOS, version 86.08.41.00.0E
NVIDIA Graphics Driver, version 86.08.3B.00.42
PXE UEFI DisplayLink, version 1.1.4
PXE UEFI Realtek, version 2.025
RAID EFI Driver, version 220.127.116.1107
Management Engine (ME) Firmware, version 18.104.22.1689
For now thanks for your help and I hope the problems are solved.
Thank you for the update.
Based on that, we will proceed to close this inquiry. If you have any additional questions, please submit a new thread as this one will no longer be monitored.
Intel Customer Support Technician
Yesterday I connected the android phone via bluetooth to use it via MyPhone app in windows 10 so I can receive and make calls directly from my laptop.
Now the old problems are returned. I had two random freezes yesterday and today I got BlueSreen BSOD.
I have to disconnect the phone bluetooth connection from laptop and for now no freezes.